X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinet
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BSR View Post
    ^hmmm given the nature of the thoughts our new members are able to deliver, i'd vote for a return to images.
    I don't understand the derision. Costume design takes from the same places as fashion. There's history, form, and a statement. The designer still has to think 'what kind of a person is going to wear this?' And I'd much rather the answer be anything but 'a retail 9-5er', which is unfortunately, reality for me. Fashion is a fantasy. And Sephiroth is a bamf.

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from video games, or whatever else someone considers really banal, but you need the wherewithal to figure out what the elements are that appeal to you and discard the silly costuming.

there's also a big difference between having cartoons on your fashion inspo radar, supplemented by like, film and rick owens and really cool looking chairs, and saying, "i wanna cosplay as sephiroth irl"

Comment

• Vinet
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
        there's also a big difference between having cartoons on your fashion inspo radar, supplemented by like, film and rick owens and really cool looking chairs, and saying, "i wanna cosplay as sephiroth irl"
        Of course, it's an inspiration and needs to be filtered accordingly. The line between fashion and cosplay is not a fine one. Practicality and quality never come into consideration with cosplay. I just like telling a story with my clothes.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Vinet View Post
          I don't understand the derision. Costume design takes from the same places as fashion. There's history, form, and a statement. The designer still has to think 'what kind of a person is going to wear this?' And I'd much rather the answer be anything but 'a retail 9-5er', which is unfortunately, reality for me. Fashion is a fantasy. And Sephiroth is a bamf.
          Especially Michael Kors.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Patroklus
            Banned
            • Feb 2011

^^ the original draft of my post had a slam against him. he once said of his inspiration for a collection something to the effect of, "if an amazon came to new york, what would she wear?"

fuck.

Originally posted by the magnanimous p-trkluz
            and losing direction, or having none to begin with; how a lot of mass market designers seem to pick themes out of a hat.

Comment

• ambrosian
              • Dec 2012

wait so you guys are telling me that you DON'T wanna look like this?

is Link SZ or do i have to find another hero
              street goth extraordinaire

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

BSR, I guess you have a point.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LOVE
                  • Dec 2007

idk evangelion is pretty stylish

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
                    • May 2013

I am new, young and feel my style philosophy is pretty immature so i won't share it with the forum as this forum is pretty advanced and you all appear to have put some thought into this..
                    However i do like what is put forward in these, or prior to reading also felt like i was related to ideas in these posts;

Originally posted by Vinet View Post
                    I dress like my life is a video game, and I'm the main character. I want my clothes to show my story and perspective, set me apart from the rest of the cast/world and for the function of the garment to lend to the form.

Originally posted by Pumpfish View Post
                    I seek the intersection of originality, wearability and craft. I dislike the cult of brands and labels, but I will use them as a shortcut to finding what I like.

Oh, and footwear that deviates much from the shape of the foot is fugly.

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
                    but what if instead of this whole deal with rationally selecting clothes, you viscerally pick them? What if you like Rick, but hey, you also happen to like Balmain? A stooges with overly distressed biker jeans? May not be HoF material but it isn't too farfetched...

I feel it is hard to judge the intent of the outfit without knowing the rationale or lack thereof behind it...
                    PS sorry for reviving if this is considered long dead but in the Noob thread it said to look through this :)

Comment

• Pumpfish
                      • Sep 2010

Video games have more or less supplanted music as the thing that young people care about most.

We were punks, goths, teds, skins, skas, cure heads, new romantics, grunge. But we met, face to face, in clubs and at gigs. Shared and developed our aesthetics in the company of each other.

With the rise of gaming culture, I can see that the visual imagery in the games is very strong but how does this translate into dress, if at all?

If video games
                      spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
                        • May 2013

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                        Each prefers the superficial elements of resemblance over the actual substance. It's the definition I once read of "kitsch": a copy that cheapens the original by misunderstanding it. Style cares for each garment, tries to recognise the possibilities in each; cosplay, like fast fashion, copies whole looks without caring that the copied parts barely hang together.
                        I feel I should answer since your comment is in direct response to my comment I suppose..?

The particular part I picked is the root of a particular problem I had and see that almost all the youth around me have or had in London however thankfully we are all turning eighteen and splitting off and developing on individual levels.
                        Our collective style philosophy was to mimic particular looks with absolutely no intent on personal style but with the desire to fit in (by those means somehow that was to be 'cool', however I imagined that to be very typical of kids in cities. Ill stop because I don't want to overindulge my own thoughts about growing up in my local area. Just wanted to explain how easy it is for people to fall into that philosophy because they desire to fit in, this could easily have transferred to adult life for many people? How do people of sz find this in the workplace or among friends

Ps please Internet define necro'd

Originally posted by Pumpfish View Post
                        Video games have more or less supplanted music as the thing that young people care about most.

We were punks, goths, teds, skins, skas, cure heads, new romantics, grunge. But we met, face to face, in clubs and at gigs. Shared and developed our aesthetics in the company of each other.

With the rise of gaming culture, I can see that the visual imagery in the games is very strong but how does this translate into dress, if at all?

If video games
                        Replying again as I presume your directly responding to me?

Personally I don't own a games console, however it is by just generally knowing about/seeing video games in the social media that I've noticed some exaggerated looks that I like. For example the generic presentation of samurai in video games is great

Moreover I surmise that people who value music less then video games is very little among the youth where icome from (London) and those that do would adopt a generic outfit of t shirt and blue gap jeans etc (with exception to variants of 'anime freaks')

Style philosophy Among youth today is shared with their music interest etc. and is basically controlled by the media. I found this something I fell into the last few years because it was easier and only fell out of due to a peculiar series of ordinary events. Now I see, in London, that the style philosophy of young people in London is particularly depressing and conformist.

Something my dad always says: "apologies pumpfish if your actually quite young)
                        'We were punks, goths, teds, skins, skas, cure heads, new romantics, grunge. But we met, face to face, in clubs and at gigs. Shared and developed our aesthetics in the company of each other.'
                        I am overly jealous you all got to engage in such boiling pots in your youth..
                        Wherever I got out at gigs or clubs I am trailed by the uniform ASAP Rockyist (2012), prior to that odd future'ist (2011) and prior to that say 2010 head to toe in Ralph Lauren/Lyle and Scott/stone island/Gucci belts/true religion jeans due to Londons grime scene.

There is no variety, it is a very odd thing for me to bump into a punk/goth/indie rock style etc thus there is no development just mere trends pioneered by the latest celebrity. Calling for each young, trendy and supposedly 'fashionably aware' individuals to sell all their stuff and replace it with the new look.

Again this is my personal perception about collective youth style In London, you may not take an interest as an adult but just incase your a Londoner and couldn't comprehend why almost every teenager looks vaguely similar dress wise. However it's not hard to come to this conclusion.

Overall I was just trying to point out how upsetting it is that not gaming, but social media and its lack of diversity, has completely taken control of the way youth culture 'evolves' in London.

Comment

• MJRH
                          • Nov 2006

It's the definition I once read of "kitsch": a copy that elevates the original by misunderstanding it. Style cares for each garment, tries to recognise the possibilities in each; cosplay, like fast fashion, copies whole looks without caring that the copied parts barely hang together.
                          i'm being snarky because i've been watching cramps videos non-stop for the last three days.

as jarry said, cliches are the armour of the absolute. which statement is, necessarily, absolute.
                          ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Pumpfish
                            • Sep 2010

If video games... was a typo! One of my more profound....

And, Michael, I am more old fart than inbetweener. I'm probably closer to your dad's age than yours.

And I guess the point I'm making is that if the interesting kids these days put their energy, social and emotional, into gaming over music, will they draw their fashion influences from the games and not from bands the way we did? It was way deeper than just passing trends. Dressing as a Smith's Fan was basically like coming out. Can the replacement pursuit have such an influence, or is gaming so fragmented that it really doesn't drive dress codes?

On your point about conformity, like many SZ types, I wear what the fuck I like.

Except when I'm building business relationships. Then I want my look to be anonymous.

There is a second idea you have provoked. There used be one hell of a difference between growing up in the big city, a smaller regional city, or the sticks. Just in terms of cultural access. Clearly that is irrelevant now, but has it driven conformity or fragmentation?
                            spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Michael_Robartes View Post
                              PS sorry for reviving if this is considered long dead but in the Noob thread it said to look through this :)
                              On the contrary, this is the best thing a noob could do. Dig more.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Anyway, on the actual substance of this thread, I told someone today that my style philosophy is inspired by equal parts dystopian future and 19th century revolutionary militarism. So uhhh... yeah. 1848 Blade Runner cosplay?
                                I think we have just discovered why Paul Harnden fits into SZ after all.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎