Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
      i thought i've been sayin this all along

maybe, maybe not
      that is purely speculative and extremely debatable

if the "full price ballas" stopped payin the insane prices, these labels would have a choice...charge a bit less for their "artistic vision" or go under...i got a feelin' they'd allow their egos to suffer a bit,...but ????

the question is moot because the referenced ballas will never stop their consumption because they don't need to. so, they will continue to devour the carcass whole and leave scraps for scavengers like myself.

yes,i am grateful for these scraps.

not upset in the least, i'm a true capitalist
      Really? Were you asleep these couple of years while half a dozen good independent designers have gone under?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
        • Feb 2009

$300 m.a+ undies?

debatable i think...
        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• pierce
          Banned
          • Aug 2009

Here's one for you!

Damir Doma interview, I'm kind of disapointed with some of the answers to be honest. All very predictable and also he just seems abit young in his thinking.
          Everyone is a designer these days, so he calls himself a creator.

[bold]
          To what extent do you believe a designer should take practicality and affordability into consideration when designing a garment?

I see myself as a creator, not just a designer! I believe my strongest point is my vision! I have a philosophy; I don’t just design nice products, which makes the difference. My priority as a creator is to express my artistic vision and build my own universe. I also think that it is very important to be structured and to give structure to the collection. I’m aware that some of my creations are not easy to wear for everybody that’s why I stripe down some pieces until they get more accessible. This is so important to understand otherwise there will be no commercial success and without good sales you can’t survive. Nevertheless the most important thing is the vision and the focus on the creation.
          [/bold]
          Last edited by pierce; 02-23-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• rxrxr
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
            $300 m.a+ undies?

debatable i think...
            hmm.. seems fabric is for swimwear.

Comment

• pierce
              Banned
              • Aug 2009

The flap looks abit ominous for wearing in public, you might get arrested. So maybe not swimming trunks.

Comment

• endorphinz
                Banned
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Really? Were you asleep these couple of years while half a dozen good independent designers have gone under?
                what's your point? they lowered their prices and still went out of business?

i don't think you grasped my point. i'm willing to let this drop if you are.

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
                  what's your point? they lowered their prices and still went out of business?

i don't think you grasped my point. i'm willing to let this drop if you are.
                  We're saying that without the big money buyers niche designers don't "lower their price point", they simply disappear. Well I guess they can go design for Target.

These designers sell luxury products, luxury products are mainly purchased by the wealthier classes and if the designers wanted to design different products (say more mass market) it simply wouldn't be the same brands. Carol Christian Poell for Topshop might give him a good payday but it simply wouldn't be the same thing.

In a sense I don't give a fuck that you (or I) can't afford it at some point; these items are luxuries and I don't NEED them.
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• endorphinz
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                    We're saying that without the big money buyers niche designers don't "lower their price point", they simply disappear. Well I guess they can go design for Target.

These designers sell luxury products, luxury products are mainly purchased by the wealthier classes and if the designers wanted to design different products (say more mass market) it simply wouldn't be the same brands. Carol Christian Poell for Topshop might give him a good payday but it simply wouldn't be the same thing.

In a sense I don't give a fuck that you (or I) can't afford it at some point; these items are luxuries and I don't NEED them.
                    i agree with everything you said but add the caveat that it's the choice of some. does ccp need to cost that much more than julius. i contend no....it's his choice to market himself the way he does....if his price points ever met resistance he could lower them and still cater to the same consumer (more or less) and be profitable.

k i'm done....it's been said before, we all dig clothes

Comment

• mortalveneer
                      • Jan 2008

it is disturbing how hypnotizing I'm finding that little animation to be...
                      I am not who you think I am

Comment

• kuugaia
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                        I don't explicitly consider a given item's resale value when deciding to purchase, except in the vague sense that almost all of the designers we're discussing do tend to hold more value than most clothing out there.
                        Sorry I've never been all that articulate at expressing myself, I don't have a problem with reselling at all. In fact it's a very good thing to do! I was just surprised that some people mentioned that the price they pay for an items is offset with its resale value. I was more under the impression that if you're already thinking about its resale value before purchase...you don't really like it or think of it as a long term item, albeit people have different 'long terms'. But as fenrost stated, it questions your motive to purchase it in the first place ?

Haha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one fixated on that man beating the dead horse

Comment

• DRRRK
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
                          I must admit that as a non native speaker I really enjoy your posts interest1. Very nice line of thought, you could be a good lawyer;)
                          Yes. I wish I could control my passion as good as Interest1 does even in my native language, let alone in english. I never felt that I could add somthing after her posts in this thread.
                          Interest, I was a little concerned about your amount of sleep.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                            it is disturbing how hypnotizing I'm finding that little animation to be...
                            It's disturbing. I got flashbacks to the scene in Showgirls where Andrew Carver brutalizes Elizabeth Berkley's roommate (that punch!)

those ma+ undies above are a strange joke at the expense of his more serious followers...the grey pair in particular, down to the color scheme allocation reminds me very much of Dolce & Gabbana Underwear.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• calvinc
                              • Jan 2010

It is really an interesting discussion. Interest1 I do really enjoy your posts in this thread.

I do not usually express what I think over the forum, but I personally think I should give my opinion here. Hope I do not start a fire by giving my opinion...

I do not really see anything wrong with purchasing an item and considering the re-sale value. As someone has stated, the most common process we have is 1. fallen into a piece 2. omg there is no way for us to pay the retail value 3. find another way (sufu, classified, y!jp) 4. omg i have fallen into another piece. Obviously, there will be exceptions where the moneyed people would drop off the money to buy the items they like over retail. But how would a (very) low income people like students who are so much into these-so-called-fashion and do not have the funds to purchase all the the items they love?

When I was 14, I was literally only given $200 bucks per month, nothing more and I had to pay all my bills myself (excluding apartment and school fees). The way I brought up just made myself into like this, a type of person who really appreciate money. Obviously, just say I love 100 pieces of clothings with exactly the same level. Can't I then buy the pieces with higher resale value so that the lost margin would be little less? That basically means I would have at least a dollar less to purchase the next item.

Even though I do have a proper job now and I have higher income, at least I do understand why some people do think about the re-sale value before kopping an item. I was kind of upset when people here like shocked when heard some people do think about the re-sale value before kopping.

Haha. peace!
                              Angela Marriner - While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it...thanks Mario Kart

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

When I was 14 I worked for $4 an hour and my parents gave me nothing, because they had nothing to give, except food and shelter. This definitely made me appreciate the value of money, and it also made me not ashamed to spend it, the way some children of well-off liberals are, because it was never given to me.

The thought of resale value has not entered my mind for a while, because I started buying designer clothes before ebay/etc. It does enter my mind now, of course. Still, I hope people buy the clothes to wear it. Of course, time passes and tastes change and we fall in and out of love, and that's great that other people appreciate the things we would like to part with.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎