X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

/\ that's all right, more interest1 for me!!!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

these articles always make me laugh because these are minor league prices compared to what gets hit out of the park up in here
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
        http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/fashion/29ROW.html?hp

these articles always make me laugh because these are minor league prices compared to what gets hit out of the park up in here
        Well, to their (whose? i don't know) credit, he IS talking about $550 chinos. Looks like the same article he wrote a year ago about $500 shorts - probably just copy/pasted "chinos" instead.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• francojean23
          • Sep 2008

prices can only go so high still in the realm of a majority or at least a substantial amount of people knowing the designers . it is pretty hilarious for Sternberg to state in the same article how much the pants cost to make ( 110 ) and then to say they are a steal at the final selling price ( 550 )

Comment

• huckleberry
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by francojean23 View Post
            prices can only go so high still in the realm of a majority or at least a substantial amount of people knowing the designers . it is pretty hilarious for Sternberg to state in the same article how much the pants cost to make ( 110 ) and then to say they are a steal at the final selling price ( 550 )
            The thing is, designers like luc, ccp and ma+ make such limited amounts of the stock that they are going to sell out on all of the decent pieces to collectors regardless of the prices. Because these are 'cult' designers, their followers will always buy the pieces. Brands like d&g/dsquared obviously rely on selling much larger quantities of goods so they need to keep the prices to a 'reasonable' amount as they need to sell to more than just celebrities and their devout fellowers.

I can't really see the designers that provide limited stock losing customers due to the price. Not unless they went stupidly high.

Comment

• whitney
              • Dec 2009

there's a line in that article that pretty much sums it up--with luck, they can make a profit in that particular pair of pants to cover up the potential loss of others. not only is there more to a pair of pants besides labor and material (what about the machines to make it, the
              electricity to power them, the building, packaging, etcetc) but most retailers while they hope to sell out--there's always a possiblity that they won't. they don't design with the idea in mind that it won't sell out, but you do have to cover your bases just in case.
              you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• MaxM
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by francojean23 View Post
                it is pretty hilarious for Sternberg to state in the same article how much the pants cost to make ( 110 ) and then to say they are a steal at the final selling price ( 550 )
                Actually i think for a "high-end" brand the 1/5 ratio is acceptable. I believe other brands with the same positioning have much higher margins.
                Zadig&Voltaire LSs for instance sell for 20 times the cost price...

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MaxM View Post
                  Actually i think for a "high-end" brand the 1/5 ratio is acceptable. I believe other brands with the same positioning have much higher margins.
                  Zadig&Voltaire LSs for instance sell for 20 times the cost price...
                  This is what people who think in price numbers and not markup percentages forget - that they are often getting ripped off more by Banana Republic and the Gap.

I found it interesting that such an article could be published - pricing is the most touchy issue and closely guarded secret in fashion probably, and to go in so deep and expose it like that is pretty ballsy.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stretcheroo
                    • Nov 2009

^ I was thinking the same thing. Most of the retailers I know have never come out and said the standard markup is 2.5. On the other hand, I kind of assumed it was higher for the LUC, ma+, CCP, etc.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

I saw that today, it was awesome. I don't think Jean was joking either, which makes it doubly so.
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• eat me
                        • May 2009

Was in Liberty today, saw this Balmain top. £985/1,499 $, and another white one with some print in the middle and bog-standard embroidery on top for £1115/1,697 $.

Truly makes you wonder.

Comment

• Sombre
                          • Jan 2009

Yeah, that t-shirt was posted already. someone said it looks like a face. i would add that the face is shocked and mortified that 1) it has been slashed to hell, and 2) it costs so much.
                          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• eat me
                            • May 2009

It would be interesting if that would be the case, but I think the fact that it sits next to the one that is equally "impressive", and even more expensive, and a £4,5k+ leather jacket makes me think that it's more of a con than a shock.

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

that T-shirt and its price is a perfect representation of everything that is wrong with the Fashion Industry
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eat me View Post
                                Was in Liberty today, saw this Balmain top. £985/1,499 $, and another white one with some print in the middle and bog-standard embroidery on top for £1115/1,697 $.

Truly makes you wonder...
                                ...why you won't look a few pages back.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎