X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Its not that I didn't buy them in the first place. I did and I stopped.
    Im not saying u shouldnt buy tees or whatever. Just saying that price, age or whatever made me realize that some type of garments are very hard for me to justify for my own wallet.
    But if you buy tees cause you dont have other things to buy then maybe the pricing isnt really concerning you? All wallets are not created equal ;)
    i was just kidding around
    my own experience is that i find it hard to justify buying anything anymore, and even harder to justify it to my wife, especially when i already have multiples. the tee's are the last items to hit the closet, precisely because the price is so unjustifiable.

which is also why people should buy the rick owens tees and knits i have listed in the classifieds. ya'll know it ain't worth it at retail!
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• delicious_not
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
      Because,

...and you don't want it to get sold out by the time you can wear it.
      but it's impossible to have no coats to wear. you always have a coat. you don't spend 3-4k on your first coat.

but what i mean is the fact that the sales are insane every season. most retailers go up to 50-70 off, and you don't have to wait another 6 months for that (sometimes it's cheaper to buy now than at yoox a year later). and most of the stock remains available until, say, 40-50 off. that's like NORMAL. and from the personal experience, there were only a few situations when the stuff i wanted didn't make it to 30% off mark.

so to pay full retail nowadays is like robbing youself, knowing you could buy it for a 1/3 of the price or maybe even cheaper. sometimes i wonder if this is the right way to sell luxury at all... can't say i don't like it though.

Comment

• dji
        • Feb 2008

I need some new overpriced designer tees, my cotton layered _7 tees are starting to get riddled with holes (Horikawa would approve at least).

I try not to purchase the more readily available pieces at retail. Still bought the long cashmere/cow leather Mollino months before I'd be able to wear it as it wasn't purchased by many stores (probably because it's fairly expensive even by Rick's standards), not to mention the retail price at the Paris store was 30% cheaper than the US retail price before the VAT refund.

speaking of stores not ordering things, I wish more of them picked up the "tear" colour this season..

not sure how I feel about Rick making some of his pieces (particularly the footwear) "non-seasonal", if they're going to do that they should at least not mark them with season specific codes or titles on the websites as it seems counterintuitive.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
          • Apr 2014

I'm just going to hope the few things I like, not many people will be interested in, or visit on certain boutiques/department stores.

Comment

• Lucky Strike
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
            i was just kidding around
            my own experience is that i find it hard to justify buying anything anymore, and even harder to justify it to my wife, especially when i already have multiples. the tee's are the last items to hit the closet, precisely because the price is so unjustifiable.

which is also why people should buy the rick owens tees and knits i have listed in the classifieds. ya'll know it ain't worth it at retail!
            yeah, I guess this is what I labelled the aging category of reasoning. Which ofc includes other circumstances like wife, family etc. I dont have that, but still I have other priorities in life than I did 5yrs ago.
            So I dont blame inflation in particular, although I noticed some designer have become very expensive. I guess they feel that suits their business model best.
            I work for IKEA so to me its kind of the opposite model of how we do things. But our selling point is the price and then we design around that. While fashion designers do the opposite. For us its easy to tell when the money runs out to design a specific furniture. But estimating your own design's value must be really difficult.

Comment

• BlacknWhite
              • Apr 2014

Designer: Hmmmm I think this T-shirt is worth 3-mmmm no, $400 dollars. Look at this cut! look at this length! this idea of MINE is worth it! Surely I can not sell it for under a hundred! My customers will speculate this to be low quality! After all, they have their heads screwed on tightly unlike those peasants that shop at H&M and the likes.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by i-d-g View Post
                Has anyone considered the possibility that this bubble of rising prices of luxury goods will "burst" at some point in the near future?
                No... But I like your wishful thinking.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Went to Barney's yesterday to look at the first FW arrivals. So far the washed cotton hoodie by Haider Ackermann at $1400 takes the cake.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

let me guess, typical sweatshirt cotton?
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by BlacknWhite View Post
                      Designer: Hmmmm I think this T-shirt is worth 3-mmmm no, $400 dollars. Look at this cut! look at this length! this idea of MINE is worth it! Surely I can not sell it for under a hundred! My customers will speculate this to be low quality! After all, they have their heads screwed on tightly unlike those peasants that shop at H&M and the likes.
                      300 dollar tee means the shop paid 120 for it and the designer paid 60 to have it made (and thats a generous estimate), now think about how many of those the designer needs to sell to cover all of the costs that aren't included in the profit margin plus take home enough money after taxes to pay rent. fabrics are a big chunk of that cost and prices for them have been steadily increasing for quite some time now. this is half industry experience half speculation, but i can tell you with pretty good certainty that among the designers we discuss on here, nobody with a company smaller than rick is getting wealthy from their margins. and their margins are the only place they have to make money.

the pricing is justified and crazy at once.
                      Originally posted by jogu
                      i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                        • Apr 2014

^It was a joke, specifically aimed towards Rick, hence mentioning the cut and length.
                        However, an estimate of $60 to produce a t-shirt is still baffling to me. I can't help but to think there is no way it cost anywhere near that much when the whole order is made, and calculations are done per shirt...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                          let me guess, typical sweatshirt cotton?
                          Yeah, something you'd expect to see at All Saints or Balmain.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• exf
                            • Apr 2014

Jil Sander new collection Fall/Winter 2023. Visit the Official Jil Sander Online Shop and discover our exclusive selection. Ready to wear, Bags, Shoes, Jewellery, Small leather goods for women and men.

beautiful handmade boots. i might have bought them if they were like a thousand euros, but this is really over the top.

Comment

• Rei
                              • Oct 2011

And I thought the a1923 pricing was getting bonkers, guess there's still some way to go.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Rei View Post
                                And I thought the a1923 pricing was getting bonkers, guess there's still some way to go.
                                M_moria, $3,750.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎