Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dji
    • Feb 2008

^ wish I could say the same about my LUC knits, anything with a high cashmere percentage needs to be regularly assaulted with a lint brush..

Comment

• Scander
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by dji View Post
      ^ wish I could say the same about my LUC knits, anything with a high cashmere percentage needs to be regularly assaulted with a lint brush..
      Cotton and other mix of wool have not give me any problem. On the contrary a Rick one broke on the arm hole.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

It shouldn't happen. That's just bad cashmere. It is dispiriting to see what passes for luxury today :(
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Scander
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          It shouldn't happen. That's just bad cashmere. It is dispiriting to see what passes for luxury today :(
          But is strange to hear this about LUC. I would like to try that 70 cachemire 30 silk to see how it is.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Some fabrics I guess are delicate by design. Like Faliero Sarti 70/30 cashmere/silk blends because they are mostly designed for women. Any facial hair and the scarf pills like crazy, but it's the only way to make them so light and soft to the touch. But then there is just low quality cashmere and wool, where the fibers used are too short (and cost less), which results in pilling.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
              • Nov 2014

While piling, of course, is aggravating I do find the act of using a lint shaver calming.
              "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
              -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

I mean, it’s dirty chic, it’s totally messed up, so you don’t have to worry about messing it up yourself — I mess it up for you. All this wonderful cashmere is already fucked up on your behalf.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

I got this one sweater from John Undercover, and it's made from pulled wool. I understand that's an inferior wool that is more prone to pilling, but that was kind of the point for me. I wanted an oversized chunky shaggy cardigan like my music heroes. My hooded Rick cardigan is actually doing OK, considering. I still get moments of anxiety for both, though.

Whenever I see someone wear something broken, I always think they look so cool, but when it happens to me, it's "oh dear god, what have I done." Ultimately why I couldn't pull the trigger on the Moody psychoknit that I loved so much.

Oh, also moths.
                  bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• dji
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Scander View Post
                    But is strange to hear this about LUC. I would like to try that 70 cachemire 30 silk to see how it is.
                    one of the worst offenders is that specific blend, I think the fact that it's reversible and I do wear it both ways exacerbates the issue though.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                      I mean, it’s dirty chic, it’s totally messed up, so you don’t have to worry about messing it up yourself — I mess it up for you. All this wonderful cashmere is already fucked up on your behalf.
                      Nice mythology to justify subpar product.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                        • Aug 2010

Nice mythology to justify subpar product.
                        i think that particular old (i think) quote is more referring to his back then quite frequent intentional distressing - not actually trying to make excuses or claims about the actual material itself. but yeah, sure - building a brand generally on 'beat up luxury' gives some leeway in QC... but it also means that i as a consumer can wear my ro pieces for a long time until they disintegrate completely, and i'll still fit his proclaimed vision even when my clothes are all ratty looking - which is quite nice and good for my bank account.

i have very little experience with rick's cashmere so i won't say anything about how well it holds up. i only own pieces where it is blended in or in certain details of a garment (those have held up beautifully though...).

obviously there are other brands that strive much more for uncompromising quality in fabrics/yarns (such as fratelli piacenza and loro piana which u and i discussed some time ago, e.) - i don't think ro is a brand which has ever been or claimed to be about exceptional quality per se. (and i'm fine with that, most of the time.)
                        Last edited by Shucks; 01-08-2015, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

Haha, yea two of my oldest items that I still wear are sweaters, both are Jil Sander. They're still in perfect condition, the only problem is somehow they get a tad tighter each year

Fixed. I have Raf Simons and Ann Demeulemeester sweaters that are 12 years old and look brand new.
                          music

Comment

• mrbeuys
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                            it also means that i as a consumer can wear my ro pieces for a long time until they disintegrate completely, and i'll still fit his proclaimed vision even when my clothes are all ratty looking - which is quite nice and good for my bank account.
                            My gf has the same long cashmere turtleneck I have - i used a lint shaver on it many times to keep it tidy, she's basically just worn hers. Guess which ones looks better... yup.
                            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                              My gf has the same long cashmere turtleneck I have - i used a lint shaver on it many times to keep it tidy, she's basically just worn hers. Guess which ones looks better... yup.
                              what happens when there is nothing left to shave?
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

Never shave that lint, fuzzy pilled knits are almost magical. They make you look blurry, like you have an enchanted aura, the opposite effect of a sharply cut leather.
                                bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎