Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GucciAmen
    • Sep 2014

So you wear clothing based on the brand's non popularity? I guess you also don't wear Julius (half of the stuff being sold out during preorder in Japan) or Boris (barely anything left during sale) etc. Popular does not equal shit.
    I don't think RickandJulius is necessarily just bothered by popularity of a label in general. I think it's more so where the popularity lies. Like ASAP Rocky and his fanbase are all losing their minds over Rick, but never BBS or Julius, which does rick a negative connotation IMO. They all know and love the geos, but I bet barely any know about the bambas.

Comment

• guardimp
      • Jun 2010

So it is just that the hip hop crowd like rick as opposed to people in japan liking julius? Is it just that they are black (and in line with many of ricks influences), because IMO this has the connotation of racism. Am I missing something here?

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
        They all know and love the geos, but I bet barely any know about the bambas.
        ughh.. seems like you are criticisizing the "hype" crowd by comparing the most hypebeast-friendly (and imo, least interesting) products from each designer.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Sombre
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
          By whom? Studying the forum you 'll see a lot of people, even die hard fans, criticizing a variety of products, strategies. Even WTF is full of Rick.
          Rick has always churned out A LOT of product, so some of the misses have been appearing in WTF for years. I distinctly remember diehard fans on this forum defending the examples I gave. The socks stood out to me as particularly ridiculous. Raf (rightfully) gets shat on for a towel, but Rick’s $600 socks are just a joke? Put down the kool-aid. Along the same line, Raf (again rightfully) gets shit for his New Balance collaboration but despite Rick partnering with a company regularly accused of using child labor, he’s still an anti-mass market symbol. People have criticized his production for a couple years now so maybe this last point isn't very strong, but I don't recall any uproar over the Adidas collaboration regarding manufacturing process.

The t-shirts and the sneakers were always popular. Thing is that the hypebeasts only care about geos, tech runners, shorts and the exploder parka. I don't see them wearing cashmere knits, tailored pieces, coats, etc.
          This is exactly the point I was making about the insipid pieces. People aren’t interested in his more meaningful expression, only in what’s glorified. That’s why it’s so boring. If all these people were wearing the leather pants, blazers with exaggerated proportions, flared coats etc then it would be interesting, but as is it just feels like a stupid high school popularity contest.
          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• GucciAmen
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by guardimp View Post
            So it is just that the hip hop crowd like rick as opposed to people in japan liking julius? Is it just that they are black (and in line with many of ricks influences), because IMO this has the connotation of racism. Am I missing something here?
            I only used ASAP for an example as he is what comes to mind first for the high fashion rap scene ("Raf Simons, Rick Owens usually what I'm dressed in"?). That is a ridiculous assumption to make to accuse me of racism, as well. His fanbase isn't just composed african-americans clearly, I know many people that listen to him and they aren't all black... Do you really think the hip hop crowd is all black? I'm saying that I personally wouldn't wear Rick staple pieces if it meant that I would be associated with the hype beast rap crowd, because that's not what I am into. And to prevent further accusations, it's because I don't like rap and that scene, not because I am a "racist".

Comment

• fncyths
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by guardimp View Post
              no. it's because they're fucking idiots. moving along
              Originally posted by Shucks
              it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
              Originally posted by interest1
              I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

man. every day on this forum i read something even more stupid and mind numbing than what i read the day before

(not you fncyths)

sorry to come off like a hater here but man what the fuck is going on?
                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Sombre
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                  man. every day on this forum i read something even more stupid and mind numbing than what i read the day before

(not you fncyths)

sorry to come off like a hater here but man what the fuck is going on?
                  I was serious about the Rick stuff. It's not exactly a new revelation; some people have been saying bits and pieces for a while. It just really got to me yesterday.

Comment

• fncyths
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                    (not you fncyths)
                    and I was going to hit you up for some harnden too

I don't know what's going on but I like what faust said so I'm repeating it:

I find this all-or-nothing stance silly. You should stop listening to your favorite band not because it goes pop but because they start making shit music. And even then, you should listen to the good old stuff.

a lot of us are here because we follow/share the ethos of the designer and the subtleties of their craft. but what happens when those nuances are exploited and become the "new logo?"

I could give two shits about how aesop, or wooster, or whoever wear some of the more sz coveted labels. they ride the hype train. what resonates is the hum of masked resilience, knowing deep down that you, the individual, wear it better. not for show, but for yourself.
                    Originally posted by Shucks
                    it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                    Originally posted by interest1
                    I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• rickandjulius
                      • Feb 2014

So you wear clothing based on the brand's non popularity? I guess you also don't wear Julius (half of the stuff being sold out during preorder in Japan) or Boris (barely anything left during sale) etc. Popular does not equal shit.
                      No I don't wear a brand based on my own personal choices. One of the biggest reasons being that I realized he doesn't fit my body type, and the stuff I wear now does. And Julius and Boris aren't even close to the level of Rick in popularity. I'm just not a fan of the direction his brand is going in and I'd rather not spend my money on it.

Comment

• ian+
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Sombre View Post
                        Rick has always churned out A LOT of product, so some of the misses have been appearing in WTF for years. I distinctly remember diehard fans on this forum defending the examples I gave. The socks stood out to me as particularly ridiculous. Raf (rightfully) gets shat on for a towel, but Rick’s $600 socks are just a joke? Put down the kool-aid. Along the same line, Raf (again rightfully) gets shit for his New Balance collaboration but despite Rick partnering with a company regularly accused of using child labor, he’s still an anti-mass market symbol. People have criticized his production for a couple years now so maybe this last point isn't very strong, but I don't recall any uproar over the Adidas collaboration regarding manufacturing process.
                        I remember members mocking a lot of stuff, adidas, flip flops, baby blue, durags etc.

This is exactly the point I was making about the insipid pieces. People aren’t interested in his more meaningful expression, only in what’s glorified. That’s why it’s so boring. If all these people were wearing the leather pants, blazers with exaggerated proportions, flared coats etc then it would be interesting, but as is it just feels like a stupid high school popularity contest.
                        Isn't that normal though? I mean people genuinely interested will go a step further than the mainstream pieces. Boring or not, it all boils down to whether you like what he designs or not. The fact that the mass buys the same 5-10 pieces does not bother me at all. I don't give a fuck literally. I will lose interest when his designs and aesthetics do not appeal to me anymore. Till then I don't care, even if tomorrow every man in town wears head to toe rick.

Originally posted by rickandjulius View Post
                        No I don't wear a brand based on my own personal choices. One of the biggest reasons being that I realized he doesn't fit my body type, and the stuff I wear now does. And Julius and Boris aren't even close to the level of Rick in popularity. I'm just not a fan of the direction his brand is going in and I'd rather not spend my money on it.
                        I am confused, is it the popularity / direction or the fact that it does not fit your body type? You realize that all of them are designers doing fashion shows twice a year in Paris, right? They are all popular. It's not a matter of whose dick is bigger.
                        ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• Sombre
                          • Jan 2009

I remember members mocking a lot of stuff, adidas, flip flops, baby blue, durags etc.
                          Some did, but some also defended it. He just doesn't seem to get the same level of criticism that some other designers (Raf, Hedi, Sruli Recht, Richard of Obscur) get here, despite being "guilty" of some of the same practices.

Isn't that normal though? I mean people genuinely interested will go a step further than the mainstream pieces. Boring or not, it all boils down to whether you like what he designs or not. The fact that the mass buys the same 5-10 pieces does not bother me at all. I don't give a fuck literally. I will lose interest when his designs and aesthetics do not appeal to me anymore. Till then I don't care, even if tomorrow every man in town wears head to toe rick.
                          It's very normal. I just expect a bit more than the banal on SZ. I don't care that most people are buying the same pieces either. But I do find every third post in this whole section being about some basic Rick piece tiresome.

His thread in "Designers and Their Work" was good for a while but now seems to have devolved into baseball cap crap.

Comment

• rickandjulius
                            • Feb 2014

I am confused, is it the popularity / direction or the fact that it does not fit your body type? You realize that all of them are designers doing fashion shows twice a year in Paris, right? They are all popular. It's not a matter of whose dick is bigger.
                            It's both, I should have made that clear in my original post. It's just a matter of me not wanting to wear Geo's and someone tell me, "bro I saw Asap Rocky wearing those on hypebeast!" or some shit. I don't know, every way I say it makes me seem like some asshole hipster. Haha

Comment

• ian+
                              • Dec 2011

It's very normal. I just expect a bit more than the banal on SZ. I don't care that most people are buying the same pieces either. But I do find every third post in this whole section being about some basic Rick piece tiresome.

His thread in "Designers and Their Work" was good for a while but now seems to have devolved into baseball cap crap.
                              Unfortunately I don't have neither the money nor the opportunity to be able to try / buy all of his basic pieces so there are times that I discover something new to me that is out there for ages (for instance the cashmere sweater discussed above if you are referring to this). I guess there are other members in the same situation. I get what you say though.

It's both, I should have made that clear in my original post. It's just a matter of me not wanting to wear Geo's and someone tell me, "bro I saw Asap Rocky wearing those on hypebeast!" or some shit. I don't know, every way I say it makes me seem like some asshole hipster. Haha
                              You shouldn't give a fuck if you like the Geos in the first place. Faust's example with music is my exact sentiment on the matter.
                              ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• HugAndWug
                                • Aug 2014

I mean. You're literally dressing a way because you're uncomfortable with other people liking the same things as you. Like I feel bad for you dude.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎