X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickefuge
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by casem View Post
    this makes more sense to me as you shouldn't have more possessions than you can care for.
    I was thinking about only buying RO garments I can wash myself, because tbh I never get around to going to the dry-cleaners (partially due to my laziness but also because there are only sketchy ones where I live).
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Nickefuge
      • Nov 2014

Idk where to post this (can’t find the TheCorner thread), but it’s official now: no more The Corner webshop.
      "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
      -Paris Hilton

Comment

• beyondthemeans
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
        Idk where to post this (can’t find the TheCorner thread), but it’s official now: no more The Corner webshop.
        More info on the reason behind this?

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

I think they were owned by Yoox so I assumed some sort of Net-a-Porter/Yoox merging consolidation or whatever.
          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• ian+
            • Dec 2011

It was mentioned in another thread at some point but I can't find it. Link
            ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• kuriz
              • Nov 2010

Could anyone enlighten me on why Gosha Rubchinskiy has become so popular so fast? I've only heard about him a few weeks ago and read the Faust/Rick Owens interview where he's mentioned. Apparently "Gosha Rubchinskiy is an indicator on how far the Russian youth culture has evolved of late". But all I see (quite ironic when talking about fashion) is that he is evolving us backwards to the 90s Adidas/FILA that was funny to look at but didn't do anything good to my eyes when it came to symmetry or proportions.

tl;dr: Gosha Rubchinskiy, what has made him become so popular so fast?
              Last edited by kuriz; 09-20-2016, 05:32 AM.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                • Apr 2013

rei kawakubo look it up
                Originally posted by unwashed
                Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                Originally posted by Ahimsa
                I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• kuriz
                  • Nov 2010

Yes I know who Rei Kawakubo is. Would appreciate it if you could elaborate as it seems that with my limited knowledge that CdG 'won' in it's own time while Gosha just seem underwhelming in our present time

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kuriz View Post
                    Could anyone enlighten me on why Gosha Rubchinskiy has become so popular so fast? I've only heard about him a few weeks ago and read the Faust/Rick Owens interview where he's mentioned. Apparently "Gosha Rubchinskiy is an indicator on how far the Russian youth culture has evolved of late". But all I see (quite ironic when talking about fashion) is that he is evolving us backwards to the 90s Adidas/FILA that was funny to look at but didn't do anything good to my eyes when it came to symmetry or proportions.

tl;dr: Gosha Rubchinskiy, what has made him become so popular so fast?
                    Because people have shitty taste and the hype machine works well. And it has nothing to do with Rei Kawakubo - Adrian Joffe is driving this.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kuriz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Adrian Joffe is driving this.
                      Now here is a name I have to look up. Thank you

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kuriz View Post
                        Now here is a name I have to look up. Thank you
                        Surprised you don't know it already.

Start here and continue here
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• k3mist
                          • Apr 2013

Gosha is something I would never wear cause I dont identify with what he is doing but it is a sign of the times (in youth culture at least) like it or not along with vetements and a lot of other 'new-ish' designers. I feel its quite nice in a way he is 'mocking' the Russian opulence but thats about it. I dont think its a matter of 'taste', sometimes we can be quite snobby here, me included.

Why is it working? athleisure is very popular, I'm almost 100% certain Joffe helped to get it to the level it is today, the idea of 'hype' is stronger than ever thanks to Kanye and friends, the clothes are priced lower than Vetements/Off-White but higher than Supreme etc etc and they go well with these brands that are super hyped today.

I just think he was around at the right time, I dont think there is any longevity to the success that he has today and that it will go the route of Hood By Air. I think he has peaked but who knows?

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Because people have shitty taste and the hype machine works well.
                            I don't know.... haha
                            I think society and culture are evolving towards more and more extreme aesthetics. The fact the system increasingly integrates the margins (artists are no longer critics outside the system, countercultures are now part of the system more and more (because they need to live and sell), the power of "cool" increasingly comes from fusions and unexpected mixes. The more contrasted and surprising a mix, the cooler it is.
                            this increasingly leads to a process of anesthetization of the ugly and the vulgar. the system looks for more unknown and unused margins to create more "cool". hence the sudden success of a post-soviet ugly aesthetics... but there are plenty of other examples of this macro cultural trend in other areas of culture. DIE ANTWOORD is the best example in music. Ugly is the new beautiful. Vulgar is the new cool. Bad taste is the new good taste.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
                              I don't know.... haha
                              I think society and culture are evolving towards more and more extreme aesthetics. The fact the system increasingly integrates the margins (artists are no longer critics outside the system, countercultures are now part of the system more and more (because they need to live and sell), the power of "cool" increasingly comes from fusions and unexpected mixes. The more contrasted and surprising a mix, the cooler it is.
                              this increasingly leads to a process of anesthetization of the ugly and the vulgar. the system looks for more unknown and unused margins to create more "cool". hence the sudden success of a post-soviet ugly aesthetics... but there are plenty of other examples of this macro cultural trend in other areas of culture. DIE ANTWOORD is the best example in music. Ugly is the new beautiful. Vulgar is the new cool. Bad taste is the new good taste.
                              This certainly rings true and I've been following this line of thinking lately as well. I think there is an article in this.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by k3mist View Post
                                Gosha is something I would never wear cause I dont identify with what he is doing but it is a sign of the times (in youth culture at least) like it or not along with vetements and a lot of other 'new-ish' designers. I feel its quite nice in a way he is 'mocking' the Russian opulence but thats about it. I dont think its a matter of 'taste', sometimes we can be quite snobby here, me included.
                                I do think it's a matter of taste, although maybe not in the way that Faust was remarking. I don't think it's fair to lump in Vetements with Gosha here, because at least Vetements integrates the cultural references into some sort of design attempt (setting aside what sells). Gosha seems to just throw it out there as is and call it a day, and that difference is where I think taste comes into play.
                                bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎