X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nomadic Planet
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    This certainly rings true and I've been following this line of thinking lately as well. I think there is an article in this.
    I highly recommend Gilles Lipovestky's "L'esthétisation du monde" (2013) - although I don't know if there are english translations.... a very insightful theory on the contemporary capitalism and how art and aesthetics are increasingly the driving force at the core of everything (leading even to the aesthetization of the ugly and the vulgar.
    Within this way of thinking about the current global economical and symbolical system, it also hints at the fact that the margins have gone, that there aren't any real counter-cultures (a very important subject matter for us in this forum) as society in its entirety is aiming towards a post-bourgeois set of values and era.

Niche is the new mainstream too.

PS: I'm currently working on a research project around these issues too.

Comment

• shisou
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
      a very insightful theory on the contemporary capitalism and how art and aesthetics are increasingly the driving force at the core of everything
      Fred Jameson said this back in 1984 and gave it full expression in 1991.

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by shisou View Post
        Fred Jameson said this back in 1984 and gave it full expression in 1991.
        that's an author that - believe it or not- hasn't had much penetration in the hermetic intellectual sphere here in France. I didn't know him and just looked it up on the interwebs, first thing I see is some article from 2007 making a portrait of him and explaining that his books translations are 15 years late in France....
        I definitely have to check his books out, thanks!

Comment

• shisou
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
          that's an author that - believe it or not- hasn't had much penetration in the hermetic intellectual sphere here in France. I didn't know him and just looked it up on the interwebs, first thing I see is some article from 2007 making a portrait of him and explaining that his books translations are 15 years late in France....
          I definitely have to check his books out, thanks!
          I had heard that actually.
          Also, Marcuse in the chapter on culture in One Dimensional Man might be of interest here, too (don't know if his work has had much penetration in France...Stiegler, for example, uses him though)

Comment

• blackdeath
            • Apr 2016

it took saint laurent one season to become irrelevant again. bravo.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by blackdeath View Post
              This shit was more awful than anything Slimane has ever done.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                • Sep 2006

Agreed! Boring, dated, derivative, who needs more clothes like these?
                music

Comment

• gustavobradley
                  • Jun 2016

I liked it...

Comment

• lanchi1661
                    • Jul 2016

a random fashion sense, indeed too great, but you have to know how to coordinate clothes and accessories to not be ridiculous

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by lanchi1661 View Post
                      a random fashion sense, indeed too great, but you have to know how to coordinate clothes and accessories to not be ridiculous
                      #dafuckwasthat
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

New Rick show was really gorgeous and elegant, and the music <3.
                        music

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          This shit was more awful than anything Slimane has ever done.
                          Originally posted by gustavobradley View Post
                          I liked it...
                          i liked it fine. what's not to like? its black, its sheer, its short, its trashy...
                          it was definitely safe and derivative but it could have been much worse. after all saint laurent is just clothes at this point, nothing more. and from that pile, the mainstream big business fashion pile, i may reach for this before any of the others...

that one mens look was pretty troubling though...
                          Last edited by cjbreed; 09-29-2016, 12:34 PM.
                          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                            i liked it fine. what's not to like? its black, its sheer, its short, its trashy...
                            it was definitely safe and derivative but it could have been much worse. after all saint laurent is just clothes at this point, nothing more. and from that pile, the mainstream big business fashion pile, i may reach for this before any of the others...

The guy was totally random as well, didn't do anything for the show at all.

Opinions on new Rick show? Thought it was beautiful, worked way better than the recent men's show.

Comment

• scanner
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
                              The guy was totally random as well, didn't do anything for the show at all.
                              What!? Not random at all, it was Jerry Seinfeld's son, rocking the sheer pirate dress shirt in black this time. Very tongue in cheek and very avant garde. Genius.

Comment

• gustavobradley
                                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post

It could have been way worse, especially considering the women's shows that Hedi was doing in his time there. It wasn't exactly groundbreaking, but I did like the mix of 80's maximalism with the sort of 90's-inspired minimalist stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎