X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rilu
    i'm really sorry for you :p not because you've changed your style (nothing wrong with that), but because the reason you've changed it is merely getting older. and because that implies being more conservative. it reminds me of that maxim: "revolutionary when young, conservative when old" - which is a dead-end of one's brain. speaking of culture or politics, if one can't stand behind certain ideas independently of one's age, if the reasons are conditioned by such an external factor, then what is the value of such reasons? they completely fail as arguments, and become non-reflected views or cheap excuses. and when it comes to style, they become trend-following, trying to fall into a certain group identity, etc.
    again, i am not saying one's style can't change or shouldn't change. what i am saying is that one can remain as non-conservative as before, though what that means may change. for instance, due to a change in certain aesthetic views. but if getting adapted to the expectations of the society is that factor which causes one's style to change, then i wonder what is left there of one's style. i don't speak of dress-codes that one needs to fit in because of the job they are doing (though i think such dress-codes are inhumane). i'm speaking of what one wears in their free time (or, for example, what they wish they wore if they could afford it).
    No man is an island entire of itself; every man
    is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
    if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
    is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
    well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
    own were; any man's death diminishes me,
    because I am involved in mankind.
    And therefore never send to know for whom
    the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Dec 2010

I don't even think its funny, but it is excellent.

Comment

• Crowzer
        • Feb 2011

Dolan going fashion.

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
          Banned
          • Jun 2011

CdG one made my smirk haha

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I don't think it's funny or excellent. Didn't expect such reductive nonsense from you, 52, especially given your propensity to over-intellectualize matters in the first place.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jan 2011

Sometimes I'll see someone on the street in interesting clothing and won't be able to tell if they're stylish or just homeless.

Comment

• michael_kard
                • Oct 2010

Thanks for that link 52. My fav:

ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• i-d-g
                  • Sep 2012

this thread seems like most fitting place to ask this question:

did anyone else feel distanced from their friends as they became more interested in clothing?

being 18 years old, i look back on myself a few years ago, before i became interested in fashion in any sense, and i see myself sharing a tighter bond with my friends over other topics, such as music or art in general.

as i began learning about designers such as yohji, ann d, and damir doma, my perspective on clothing broadened and i started paying close attention to what i wore. as that started happening, my friends started labeling me too "out there", or suggesting that i was just going through a phase. i don't live in an area saturated with avant-garde fashion, so i stick out like a sore thumb.

could anyone provide me with their personal experience on this sort of matter?
                  “Man has somehow always feared this search, and I fear it even now. Suppose all man ever does is search for the reason, crosses oceans, sacrifices his life in the search; but to search it out, actually to find it, he’s afraid. For he senses that once he finds it, there will be nothing to search for.”

Comment

• HWith
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by iangdenning View Post
                    this thread seems like most fitting place to ask this question:

did anyone else feel distanced from their friends as they became more interested in clothing?

being 18 years old, i look back on myself a few years ago, before i became interested in fashion in any sense, and i see myself sharing a tighter bond with my friends over other topics, such as music or art in general.

as i began learning about designers such as yohji, ann d, and damir doma, my perspective on clothing broadened and i started paying close attention to what i wore. as that started happening, my friends started labeling me too "out there", or suggesting that i was just going through a phase. i don't live in an area saturated with avant-garde fashion, so i stick out like a sore thumb.

could anyone provide me with their personal experience on this sort of matter?
                    There has been a lengthy discussion about this somewhere - maybe it was even in this thread, or did it have it's own? You should try and find it, it's actually great.

EDIT: Here it is :-)

Comment

• Dec 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      I don't think it's funny or excellent. Didn't expect such reductive nonsense from you, 52, especially given your propensity to over-intellectualize matters in the first place.
                      of course i could academically argue why these pictures are great

...but i'm not going to :)

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by 525252 View Post
                        of course i could academically argue why these pictures are great

...but i'm not going to :)
                        you could argue the virtues of anything in this world, no matter how reprehensible that may be..............we just had a jackass from the NRA calling for armed security at all schools in America. Somehow i wish I had the chance to take a brick to his face..........
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Dec 2010

ahh dear.
                          Last edited by 525252; 12-23-2012, 05:31 PM. Reason: dear lord help me

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Listen

I dont know what you wrote or why you redacted it, but let me make it clear that i am not picking on you, I say this because our last two interactions on this forum may make it seem that way.

its just there is a time and place for everything under the sun...........
                            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• i-d-g
                              • Sep 2012

@HWith:

Thanks for the link! It's definitely an interesting discussion. Probably the most interesting thread i've found on sz, only because it's so prominent in my day to day life.
                              “Man has somehow always feared this search, and I fear it even now. Suppose all man ever does is search for the reason, crosses oceans, sacrifices his life in the search; but to search it out, actually to find it, he’s afraid. For he senses that once he finds it, there will be nothing to search for.”

Comment

• Dec 2010

you could argue the virtues of anything in this world, no matter how reprehensible that may be..............we just had a jackass from the NRA calling for armed security at all schools in America. Somehow i wish I had the chance to take a brick to his face..........
                                I dont know what you wrote or why you redacted it, but let me make it clear that i am not picking on you, I say this because our last two interactions on this forum may make it seem that way.
                                Hey there Zam, lets just assume that the story about the jackass from the NRA is not a "random fashion thought" and just make an assumption that you equate that senseless idiocy to whatever aspect of myself you think should as such.

I respect all your good intentions and generally nice demeanour but I was basically expressing a distaste for what I will call your virtuous fervour, which I think is particular to cultural variances and so on. Though I thought it frustrating not to mention it, I redacted it because it was probably unnecessary, but there you go.

In the same way I don't think H&M is bullying the world by flooding it with awful clothing, I never really thought you were picking on me with your criticisms. But thanks anyway, merry Christmass to all

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎