X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

I'd be more inclined to blame one's monitor than the photograph...but who knows.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

the binary code decays as the image is sent from its host server to your computer
      this is a very common phenomenon
      for example, my posts are usually pretty good before they're subject to binary decay on their way to SZ

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

...then they turn to filth.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

Perhaps if the moderators did their jobs I wouldn't be able to shit up the boards.

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

lazy fuckers

Comment

• Castor
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I don't like the "street" direction that fashion is taking. Opening Ceremony at Kenzo, Wang at Balenciaga, sneakers and jeans and tees everywhere. It's all commercial cynicism, and it's sad and not good for fashion. In the years to come there will be more bland clothes and less of those magical moments that made fashion worthwhile.
              100% agree. What passes for fashion these days are silk screened tees and logo jeans. Recycling without irony is going nowhere. Labels are celebrated for commercial and derivative work and those same designers are commended and awarded "important" posts at high end labels for doing exactly that. There has been a total embracing of fashion as commerce with no art. This may explain the stagnation of fashion in general in the last decade or two. But, hey I am preaching to the choir.

It's enough to make you buy CCP.
              Originally posted by DRRRK
              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                I think you need to make yourself clearer here, if by "street" you mean "streetwear" I would say you're wrong; brands like Undercover are streetwear but they're not watered down for ease of access and are truly driving design and fabric usage. If by "street" you mean "high street" or "streetstyle" (like I'd classify Wang) well yeah, it's not that interesting. On the other hand, considering brands use elaborate runway shows/presentations to sell accessories, tees, perfumes and other trinkets and don't even produce a lot of their more intricate pieces, I guess it's less hypocritical to show buyers and the general public what they'll actually purchase. End result is the same if you take, say, Balenciaga: it-bags for chicks and sneakers of the season for dudes, same as under Ghesquière BTW. Sure the editorials will suffer but fashion is a consumption product or it is irrelevant.

I'm personally feeling streetwear and tech-utilitarian pieces right now so I guess I'll be "streetwear" too, although not really "streetstyle".
                I don't mean someone like Takahashi who took from streetwear and elevated it and made it his own. This is the designer's task. This is great, and I wear stuff like this myself.

But what I am talking about is different. I mean "streetstyle" - that is consumers buying the same things they wore as teenagers but now done by "designers," so they continue to feel cool. What's the point? Why can't streetwear just remain streetwear, on its own terms? Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe an example is due to show the difference. I am typing this in what is technically called a "hoodie." But it is knit of wool and cashmere and has horsehair mohawk on the hood and elastic thumb straps. Here is a designer appropriating a "street" item, erasing its meaning, and making it his own. It's not just another hoodie with the only difference being a slapped on logo or an inside tag with a designer's name.

And you are wrong about Balenciaga. It sold the clothes quite well. It definitely had a hardcore following, but that's enough to drive the esthetic direction for a designer. I don't mind the padding of commercial goodies IF it drives designer's creativity. As far as I am concerned, McQueen could've sold all the perfume in the world and I would've loved his work just the same. By and large those products are not the designer's decision anyway.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                  • Mar 2009

Seems Catholicism is back in vogue. After Tiscis last collection with the image of Mary/Madonna.
                  It seems Dolce & Gambino have done the same this season.
                  Only that the models are the age of alter boys, or they are going to Jimmy Saville.
                  merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                    100% agree. What passes for fashion these days are silk screened tees and logo jeans. Recycling without irony is going nowhere. Labels are celebrated for commercial and derivative work and those same designers are commended and awarded "important" posts at high end labels for doing exactly that. There has been a total embracing of fashion as commerce with no art. This may explain the stagnation of fashion in general in the last decade or two. But, hey I am preaching to the choir.

It's enough to make you buy CCP.
                    Menswear fashion basically started existing at the end of the 90s and has been o the rise ever since, sure some seasons are weaker than others but there is no denying the overall trend. A few exceptions aside, all you could buy in the 80s was blue or white designer shirts. So your bold affirmation only applies to womenswear and is, even then, highly discussable, in fact I disagree with it.

You are preaching to the choir only if the SZ audience has no knowledge of fashion history. BTW CCP only came to his own in the last few yrs, perfectly matching the trend in menswear...
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      I don't mean someone like Takahashi who took from streetwear and elevated it and made it his own. This is the designer's task. This is great, and I wear stuff like this myself.

But what I am talking about is different. I mean "streetstyle" - that is consumers buying the same things they wore as teenagers but now done by "designers," so they continue to feel cool. What's the point? Why can't streetwear just remain streetwear, on its own terms? Nothing wrong with that.
                      Wait do you want streetwear to remain streetwear or to be elevated by designers like Jun Takahashi? Shouldn't the bolded sentence use the word streetstyle?

And is it really about streetstyle=teenage clothing? I mean it's also cargoes and button downs and all kind of boring adult clothing? No really I don't follow you at all...

In fact adolescent subcultural style is what inspires many of the SZ designers making out there garments...

You need to seriously review your postulates, right now you have an inchoate feeling about something that is wrong with contemporary fashion and some signs of these (ay A. Wang) but you haven't been able to articulate any clear thoughts regarding that.

I think you have a problem with designers being literal, for example some designer listening to Miles Davis then putting Miles Davis on a sweatshirt or being inspired by LA crusty skaters and making the exact same hats and shoes they wear or hoodies with "Anarchy rules" on them.
                      Last edited by Fuuma; 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM.
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I think you need more sleep I have been very clear in my statements.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Castor
                          • Nov 2009

Balenciaga in the most recent seasons felt like a house that was created for fashion editors. For them to wear and cover. You see the editors wearing the $5000 Egyptofunk silk sweatshirts at all the shows and then big surprise Balenciaga sells a bunch of $350 tees of the same image. But then in the real world the only Balenciaga you ever see on the streets is handbags and the classic leather jacket. Not sure exactly what my point is, but it felt like Balenciaga existed in a bubble for FASHION people only--who I doubt ever pay anything resembling retail.
                          Originally posted by DRRRK
                          The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Rosenrot
                            • Aug 2010

Stag was far too good
                            Then he rolled down the Mountain
                            He's been shitty since
                            Originally posted by Patroklus
                            Better too adventurous than not enough
                            everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• MoFiya
                              • Sep 2007

Hm, I've been lusting for a new pair of pants lately.
                              Somehow, I am fond of the idea of pairing a leggins with something. Maybe some short / leggins combo or so? I don't know.

If you have any cues what I might be talking of and have aesthetically pictures for inspiration, feel free to share... Also, not looking to pay the world as this would be sth I would not wear on a regular basis. I come to think of some cheap japanese brands?
                              I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• eleven crows
                                • Mar 2011

Perhaps the new Songs for the Mute triple layered shorts/pants?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎