X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
    as more celebrities and famous-what-have-yous start taking notice to artisanal brands, do you think that will create an influx of artisanal brands or does the market not work that way? when there is a demand for hand-made higher end pieces do you think there will be more designers focusing on construction and craftsmanship in the near future or will this niche remain a niche?

There is already a significant influx of "artisanal" brands......whatever that word really means. Many brands that are considered artisanal are not, at least not in the truest sense of the word/ process.
    True artisanship takes years of trial and error, experience and acquiring the knowledge to make things in a certain way. The truth of the matter is that we live in a world where it is increasingly difficult to approach fashion like this, because of the speed with which clothing has to get to the stores/ marketed or whatever.Only very few can manage to sustain an artisanal company as it is a very difficult thing at times.

With respect to celebrities/ famous people..........whatever we think of them here on SZ, we designers ( and even the people who hold them in disdain) are dependent on them to an extent to buy products we make for higher prices, if even to have in their huge collections of clothing that sometimes may end up not even being worn. The money goes towards keeping many designers business going, which may not be possible without these clients who have huge disposable incomes to buy clothing.

I want to tell you a Interesting story.
    There is a young man here in my building, who owns a CCP Jacket that I had never seen that style before, but there are definitely certain CCP features to it that made me curious about who/ what is the designer of the jacket. One day in the elevator out of curiosity I asked him by whom was his jacket, thinking it may have been a knock off.
    He replied, "I am not sure let me Check" whipped it off and showed me the label. Low and behold it was definitely a Carol jacket. He then began to tell me he got it from his boss who was moving out of his apartment and getting rid of stuff so he gave it to him with several other leather jackets that may or may not be from the same designer.
    His boss so happens to own a huge active wear company and fan of the designer.
    Last edited by zamb; 05-21-2013, 08:18 PM.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by interest1 View Post

the (young) lady doth protest too much, methinks...

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
        as more celebrities and famous-what-have-yous start taking notice to artisanal brands, do you think that will create an influx of artisanal brands or does the market not work that way? when there is a demand for hand-made higher end pieces do you think there will be more designers focusing on construction and craftsmanship in the near future or will this niche remain a niche?
        yes. but it's not just about celebs. what celebs will do is lead to watering down of this aesthetic, which has already begun.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• drew
          • Jul 2012

^Would you say the main designers that are popular on here have started to do that or just that there have been derivative brands that have started up?

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by drew View Post
              ^Would you say the main designers that are popular on here have started to do that or just that there have been derivative brands that have started up?
              Those designers have nothing to do with it - they just design. They don't have PR companies whose job it is to put clothes on celebs nor do they control who buys their clothes. Everybody wants to be cool, and if Atelier is the coolest shop you will see M.A.+ on a celeb.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

so...not a whole lot of exciting retail destinations here in texas. so on the very rare occasion i make it into a shop i generally know way more about the clothes than the SA's. and for some reason i can't just sit there and not say anything. so i do. then i get the feeling that i have hurt their feelings.

so...i'm a jerk because i'm a know it all and i embarrass them. and i'm a super jerk because i also never buy anything from them because they don't sell anything i would wear.

i also get no respeck for my sick harnden and sissypees because they have no idea.

i should just wait in the car
                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• drizzly
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                  so...not a whole lot of exciting retail destinations here in texas. so on the very rare occasion i make it into a shop i generally know way more about the clothes than the SA's. and for some reason i can't just sit there and not say anything. so i do. then i get the feeling that i have hurt their feelings.

so...i'm a jerk because i'm a know it all and i embarrass them. and i'm a super jerk because i also never buy anything from them because they don't sell anything i would wear.

i also get no respeck for my sick harnden and sissypees because they have no idea.

you can offer to consult for them for s big big FEE

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

. . . i should just wait in the car

best sig ever!
                    sain't

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Speaking of Texans. Which one of you have been to Grange Hall in Dallas and what do you think?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

Dear eBay sellers: STOP Febrezing the shit out of your goods.

If you're THAT concerned over your 'not-so-fresh' smell, maybe it's time to spring for a little dry-cleaning before the hocking begins..
                        sain't

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Ladies, I keep seeing this, but someone please help me wrap my head around such ensembles from a purely functional perspective:

a) Ski shell jacket, umbrella, jeans, flip-flops
                          b) Trench, flip-flops.

Do your feet not get wet? Are you a female Jesus?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fireflygrave
                            • Aug 2012

I guess it doesn't really matter if your feet get wet if you're wearing rubber flip flops. I can kinda understand it if it's summertime and raining. Still looks goofy though.
                            put a tiger in your tank

Comment

• Verdandi
                              • Mar 2012

Why is this dude hailed as the next "big" thing?
                              It looks like Rick, Comme and Helmut Lang all muddled into one collection in a desperate attempt to be "edgy".

lavender menace

Comment

• the breaks
                                • Sep 2007

who is "this dude"?
                                Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢