Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • christianef
    • Feb 2009

i love the haider sandals the most aswell and prefer ann's jewelry in its messy grungy context the best. she may look like every other girl on the blogs, i dont know. based on your fashionology 'evolution' of style you look like everlast from house of pain. market gets over saturated, run for the hills, dismiss everything and release a blue album ( reduce wardrobe to practicle ma+ and LUC and white shirts to show more depth/personality/maturity/soul.) its a common knee-jerk reaction to culture ive seen a million times. youre all grown up now and i love your waywt, but like whitey ford sings the blues, im not buying it.

Comment

• thedevilisinthedetails
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by christianef View Post
      i love the haider sandals the most aswell and prefer ann's jewelry in its messy grungy context the best. she may look like every other girl on the blogs, i dont know. based on your fashionology 'evolution' of style you look like everlast from house of pain. market gets over saturated, run for the hills, dismiss everything and release a blue album ( reduce wardrobe to practicle ma+ and LUC and white shirts to show more depth/personality/maturity/soul.) its a common knee-jerk reaction to culture ive seen a million times. youre all grown up now and i love your waywt, but like whitey ford sings the blues, im not buying it.
      wow I love this analogy. nearly wet myself.

Comment

• snafu: I'm kind of running out of breath while reading your reply, so much text haha. I can understand where you're coming from but I think you have completely mistaken me for something that I'm not. I could have easily cropped my head out from the pictures (like many members here do), and I'm pretty sure your approach and image of me would have been totally different. Anywho, I wear the clothes that I wear to everywhere (grocery stores etc), and I really couldn't care a rats ass what people think. However, I don't feel the need to show this attitude in my pictures, in fact, I like the controversy. Against your belief, I'm not one of those typical fashion following girls who have just found this kind of style and are doing it in sake of the trend. Reading into something like that from a few pictures sounds kind of absurd to me.

I didn't want to include my blog on this topic but I can tell you that I know maybe a two or three blogs in the whole wide world that have similar aesthetics to mine, most of the fashion blogs are way more mainstream and pondering on what's "hot" at the moment. What my friends wear doesn't define my style at all, we all have very much individual taste and interests. I really dislike the fact that you're including me into this cluster of style bloggers anyway.

This all comes down to the fact that you really don't know me at all, and have created this image of me in your head that you can't get away from. But each of their own, I guess.

Comment

• snafu
          • Apr 2008

Flux your right, it was my snap judgment on you; i never said i knew you personality. But this has kinda been what this whole topic has been about how we present ourselves ... has it not ?
          Im still only going on what i have been presented... wether it be the first photo, or the photos on the blog.

christianef my evoloution has been since my first waywt since i was 16, im only 20 now... its not like things have changed over night and i am at period now when most people my age don't know themselves at all; does that my opinion non valid ? Iv been through stages of trying to wear someone elses clothes, trying to force some sort character or trying to draw attention... but now i feel more comfortable than ever. Does that mean i'l be wearing what i wore today in one years time; I know i won't be, will i truly respect it for time and context possibly.

Looking back one year ago when i was wearing rick, ann, n9 was i wearing it for the right reasons... not really, did i look bad ? well its up to everyones opinion, im sure many people think i looked better then than i do now.
          But i still feel more close to ma+, maybe due to time in his studio, label i can respect would i wear everything no way, carol i can only wear his conventional garments; tailored coats. I respect harnden but i own nothing, i sold the things i had of his cause i wasn't wearing them; so i respect his ideas but his garments don't relate to me, His furniture is a way i can self represent through him because i respect his ideas but garments are not my personality but furniture is alot easier to adapt.

The idea of a white shirt is somehow respect to ideas of traditional garments, its a way of wearing something simple enough i can truly learn who i am in my clothes; a way i can play with volume, proportion, Silhouette without ever sticking out in my surroundings; at the same time wearing something with deeper values or atleast is interestingly constructed.

Flux your right i can't get away from my first judgement unless you prove me otherwise... but this applies to everyone we meet not just on here.

Comment

• raddy
            • Oct 2008

I really don't believe that by wearing clothes designed/crafted by other people you are necessarily buying into their aesthetic -- or that you have to craft your own clothes for you to "own" their expression. Maybe if you are rocking an exact runway look, but in practice, we recombine individual pieces in new ways with our greatly varying body shapes, skin tones, and hair styles always into new expressions and at that point, the wearer owns the look as much as the crafter.

And this idea that clothing should express some inner personal identity seems silly to me. It seems like a way of justifying spending/caring a lot about clothing as it's now "spiritual" but really I don't see the need as it's certainly not impossible to enjoy things for being things and not needing to personify outfits as a projections of your "true self."

And yeah sometimes in photographs, it looks like people are being "worn" rather than seeming confident and relaxed in their fit but this is mostly a product of facial expression and body language or our own prejudices of body shape, skin tone, etc that we expect in the clothes we're looking at -- I don't think it has much to do with the soul of the wearer.
            Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• christianef
              • Feb 2009

snafu, your opinions are entirely valid and i appreciate your honest feedback and genuine motives. just felt some of the remarks were slightly patronizing and too cool for fashion school. as you've indicated people are at different stages of their lives and of the fashion cycle and i dont think you necessarily have to retreat from designers like ann and haider just because it suits you to wear them in their convention forum whatever your level of fashion awareness.

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                Can someone explain to me why people think "authenticity" is important? I'm really trying to think of something but I really can't pinpoint any reason why I'd care. I don't want to reflect the inner me; there is no inner me or rather "the inner me is unknown and unknowable". If there really is an inner me to be reflected it'll happen anyway, I don't have control over it and I guess anything I wear will be reflecting "the inner me". Can the inner me reflect my choice of jacket? That'd be way better than the other way around.
                Since Merz Asked.............

well it all depends on what you mean by Authenticity.
                I am leaning to believe the implied meaning to be "having a genuine emotional/ philosophical connection with the clothes or whatever". Buying and wearing them because they project a view of oneself that the individual wants to express to the world, as one's true self.............rather than buying and wearing an item (even one that is genuinely disliked) because I perceive that it will bring respect and validation by my peers.............or people in whose good graces I want to be.

As far as I am concerned Authenticity is really important, it means happiness, peace of mind, and a balance in living that can only be good for ones well being.......
                I am a firm believer that there is no point in buying and wearing clothing that cannot be appropriated into the various areas of everyday l needs and Lifestyle.
                (I am wearing Levi's Cuttoffs and plain white tees right now, my standard work uniform)
                I NEVER buy something because others have it and I feel I must also...........which is the reason I dont own Rick Owens Dunks, which is the reason, I dont own MA+ Clothing, or many other items that others have..........It would be Authentic, because it isn't me. it is also for this reason why I will be selling the Guidi Boots I have, but never Part with the Carpe Diems..............and also the only Carol boots i want are the impossible to find Hockeyes
                I need things that Speak to me in a soulful way...........especially at these prices we pay

There is indeed an "inner Self" and certainly it is knowable..... for the individual must be able to stand part from himself and make an honest assessment of who he /she is, in terms of mind/ body, values, social and political standing, philosophy, worldview, religious beliefs etc.
                These things must be the driving force that shapes ones perspective, informs how one interacts with their fellowmen, and specifically on this topic, how one dresses oneself.

I will share something interesting here..............and then I'll stop because the post is too Long and SZ has slowed me down and put me behind on my Collection deadlines

On Sunday I was out with Faust and Dark Animal and Dark suggested I should get a Tatoo, I told him I wouldn't because I didn't think Tatoos looked good on Dark Skinned individuals............there is also religious reasons why I wouldn't, I dont like them for myself, but I can see they look good on other types of persons. I know others who might diagree with this perpective, and against good judgement get a tatoo not because it has any personal meaning to them, but because its "trendy' or their peers have one.............

I think a significant amount of unhappiness and peace of mind exist in this world because of a Lack of personal Authenticity (Honesty) and that to me is why its important.................
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• christianef
                  • Feb 2009

are you connected with yourself? aha
                  <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JdCKQ2dYlDg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JdCKQ2dYlDg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
                  okay im done now:)

Comment

• deleuze
                    • Jul 2007

Zamb, I think the "inner self" you are referring to is more a manufactured identity, something more other than innate. Not that there's anything wrong with this as it would be impossible to have strutcture and hence live in a rational society without the formation of identitys. Science, math, architecture, etc. would cease exist. Authenticity and its corrollary representation died as concepts along with existentionalism, drowned out by the silent majority.

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by deleuze View Post
                      Zamb, I think the "inner self" you are referring to is more a manufactured identity, something more other than innate. Not that there's anything wrong with this as it would be impossible to have strutcture and hence live in a rational society without the formation of identitys. Science, math, architecture, etc. would cease exist. Authenticity and its corrollary representation died as concepts along with existentionalism, drowned out by the silent majority.
                      Yes, but like the PHOENIX they rose from the Ashes, because collective society, consciously or unconsciously cannot go on without them, we perceive them as being dead, but the are alive because we are.........

And I am glad you said "I Think" when referring to the inner self, because indeed, there is some manufacturing going on, but it is not manufacturing of the self, per se........but the manufacturing of an awareness to perceive it ....................lack of perception does not mean lack of existence..........it may mean blindness, denial or the need for eye salve..........

Comment

• Liquid
                        • Jul 2009

Can someone explain to me why people think "authenticity" is important? I'm really trying to think of something but I really can't pinpoint any reason why I'd care. I don't want to reflect the inner me; there is no inner me or rather "the inner me is unknown and unknowable". If there really is an inner me to be reflected it'll happen anyway, I don't have control over it and I guess anything I wear will be reflecting "the inner me". Can the inner me reflect my choice of jacket? That'd be way better than the other way around.
                        I'm going to agree with this, at least I hope I interpreted it correctly.

In my personal opinion there are three tiers of fashion
                        1- fashion victims wearing trends (giving a fuck)

2- soulful individuals in CCP (giving a fuck in as a tasteful, most educated way as possible... but ultimately still giving a fuck)

3- soul less fashion, individuals wearing rick not because of trends, and not because it "speaks" to them, but just because... (not giving a fuck) For me tier 3 is the highest level of authenticity. It is a cleansing of the artificial social constructs you are ingrained with, and an embrace of your core illogical human silliness. In this sense, your "inner you" is reflecting your choice of jacket, rather than the other way around.

Akin to tyler durden from fight club. Or the "Chaotic Good" persona alignment from dungeons&dragons. Or the old guy in my avatar.

I'm also going to quote Rick here, of all people, and say "trying to talk with your clothes is passive-aggressive" .

I think this is why Rick's clothes, in the eyes of a carp/CCP-ian, are so ugly, so commercial, so void of a soul. "Just look at those trainers, ugh."

But on the flipside, trying to express yourself with extremely soulful artisanal clothes is a joke at the end of the day. It goes full circle and ends up being more fake than real. It's pretentious IMO, and again, like rick said, passive-aggressive.
                        Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Liquid View Post

But on the flipside, trying to express yourself with extremely soulful artisanal clothes is a joke at the end of the day. It goes full circle and ends up being more fake than real
                          . It's pretentious IMO, and again, like rick said, passive-aggressive.
                          you are young and not yet fully formed.............life will teach you, and you will come to realize, the value in the very thing you are disagreeing with here...............

Comment

• Sombre
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                            based on your fashionology 'evolution' of style you look like everlast from house of pain. market gets over saturated, run for the hills, dismiss everything and release a blue album ( reduce wardrobe to practicle ma+ and LUC and white shirts to show more depth/personality/maturity/soul.)
                            That sounds very similar to hopping on the trend bandwagon to me. You consciously avoid trends rather than buy into them, but the trends still dictate what you wear.
                            An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                            I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                              • Mar 2009

Liquid, I'm afraid that people wearing RO because they don't give a fuck or because that's just the way things are only live in your head. You choose what you're wearing = you give a fuck, whatever the reason - the clothes, you in the clothes, people around you in the clothes, the global warming and what not.
                              You can't escape that.

Next level is not giving a fuck about giving a fuck, not giving a fuck about speaking by learnt phrases or with everybody's words, not giving a fuck about being a copypaste or a robot, not giving a fuck about being nothing unique or original. Quest for authenticity is just a symptom of some modern culpability for what you could call the sin of not being the real deal.

You can't help but being yourself. It is unavoidable. I mean, it's included in the being alive package. Why should attention-seeking not be authentic ? Or the desire to look more badass than you'll ever allow your actions to be ? Those root deeply in one's psychism, don't they ? If you're comfortable with your motives or not, or comfortable with the fact of not being able to see clearly in your own game or not, well, that's another question.
                              Last edited by Mail-Moth; 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM.
                              I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                              I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• semper
                                • Feb 2009

thank you fuuma.

It's the first sentence that matters here, even though the rest is more tempting to comment on (Pirandello?).

fashion as an art, when worn by individuals, very strongly relies on connotations and dialogue. Its claim to authenticity then becomes poor.
                                sicut lilium inter spinas

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎