• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chant
    Banned
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
    [B]The deconstructed cut of the coat doesn't strike me as excessively stressed, nor does it seem excessively slim.
    Never said this, I was just pointing the pleats and the bulge. That's a different thing, if you see what I mean.

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
      I think it looks perfect semper! Hof from me too
      i concur. often bbs pieces seem too busy to me, but this fit is just

Comment

• Mail-Moth
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post
        Never said this, I was just pointing the pleats and the bulge. That's a different thing, if you see what I mean.
        Yes, I mixed your post and Semper's answer a bit. But I like those pleats actually

Speaking of dark outfits :

Frank Leder cap
        Y's trench
        YYPH cardigan
        Lost&Found pants
        Alden cordovan boots

Close-up :

Sorry people for the excessive WAYWT posting. Calming down now.
        Last edited by Mail-Moth; 11-06-2010, 11:49 AM.
        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Vanna
          • May 2008

Lovely, MetroBulo, but I'm not sure about the belt. Seems like an afterthought.

Semper, that is a great photo/outfit.
          Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• timberlakeld
            • Mar 2010

I would suggest Raw to change a pair of skinny pants, or the LUC J-pants he bought recently. And try not closing the coat, I think it will be much better. ...But the sleeve length is far too long for him, I think it will be worth to shorten it a little bit maybe?

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
              I really like the leg cuffs and the tunic over the shirt looks very cool, but the belt hanging from the neck is a bit distracting
              and Ochre: I rarely trust the eyes of others when it comes to what I wear. (Too many bad experiences with clueless SAs? When I returned home and saw these kind suggestions, I tried it. The more minimalist look works quite - the helmut shirt is my favorite of what I'm wearing so yes...I will let it breathe. (End the end I'll do both.) Pros here!

I think I've spent too much time looking at old Ann D runway shows. I think her trailing zippers of SS2010 popped into my mind when I pulled the belt off my door handle, but I certainly know that she can edge into the baroque!

Semper Though I agree with Christian's comments about the details, particularly about the lining peaking out from the bottom, I think were the jacket too structured, it would look awkward with the pants, which are quite relaxed.

I think the fit is fine, and very natural for you and the day...if the fabric is waxed cotton, smoothing the curved placket in the front would do much to make the jacket look more purposefully deconstructed rather than insouciant! My favorite - the hint of color at your cuff.

Raw No need to tailor such a beautiful jacket. Some things just shouldn't be tailored because it would change the integrity of the design/designer's vision too much. Sell it and do this:

Take a day -- bring a friend with a really good critical eye along -- and visit all your favorite boutiques and stores. However, don't go only to the stores where they specialize in tight, slim cuts. Go where you can try a variety of things in different shapes, fabrics, drapes and keep an open mind. Christian's slender fits work perfectly for him because of his build (and also because of the exacting tailoring.) But you can't transpose someone else's look directly onto yourself -- that's a bit like going to the hair salon with a photo and saying "make me look like this guy..." Don't force it!

Look for items that play up the strengths of your build and play down any perceived "weaknesses." Buy a few smaller pieces and wear them around for a day or two to see if you feel comfortable and not self-conscious. You can do "less fitted" without having to do Damir or Rick. CDGH+ comes to mind for you, as does knits. Try a luxurious and thick cardigan with a tiny bit of room in the body? Play with the clothes. Pop a collar, add and subtract, etc. Hope this is helpful...

MBD
              "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
              It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
              My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                • Oct 2010

[QUOTE=Vanna;270166]Lovely, MetroBulo, but I'm not sure about the belt. Seems like an afterthought.

Ah - you'll see as I post more that I frequently have to -- or sometimes prefer to -- belt my dresses because I can look too thin (until I have time to go to NY with a big bag of clothes to tailor or to sit down with 3 cases of protein shakes.) I also wear that belt nearly every day, back side up, front side up (which is a black snakeskin), tied or with the punched hole fit into the metal pin. Modular dressing!

It's a bit hard for me to do black on black. With my hair, wearing all black can be overwhelming. So a bit of color here, there. I feel more comfortable that way.
                "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Christian View Post

Semper : nice dark fit, but I don't like the way the BBS jackets looks : pleats at the buttons + bulging in between the buttons = too much weird design for my taste - but I don't like BBS, so I'm not really objective. I don't understand neither why the jacket is that open at the bottom nor the meaning of the overlong lining peeking out.
                  i think that the pleats and bulging would be a bigger issue if this were a tailored, structured jacket. but it isn't. for me this is a non-issue with this jacket. i think it looks great. HOF from me. and the peeking lining is a pretty common detail for many designers here. (m.a+, IS, many others) so i'm not sure why it is being singled out here

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post

Raw...However, don't go only to the stores where they specialize in tight, slim cuts. Go where you can try a variety of things in different shapes, fabrics, drapes and keep an open mind. Christian's slender fits work perfectly for him because of his build (and also because of the exacting tailoring.)...

Look for items that play up the strengths of your build and play down any perceived "weaknesses." ...You can do "less fitted" without having to do Damir or Rick. CDGH+ comes to mind for you, as does knits. Try a luxurious and thick cardigan with a tiny bit of room in the body? Play with the clothes. Pop a collar, add and subtract, etc. Hope this is helpful...

MBD
                  listen to this woman RAW. mail-moth hinted at it too. maybe head for something more relaxed. the cdg family makes sense. and i'm no expert on her designs but maybe check out ann dem. her cuts may be less exacting. seems to work for others with a similar build. and there is a depth and breadth to her work that can keep a person interested for a long time. lots of opportunity there
                  dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

just like brad pitt...

but without the money, or the hot wife, or the vietnamese kids..

ph long
                    adeline basley
                    grandma

Comment

• BBSCCP
                      • Feb 2010

@semper: stick to boris, it really suits you!

Comment

• North
                        • Sep 2008

mail moth, the back of your coat (actually the whole outfit) looks really beautiful. I imagine it all moves really nicely.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by semper View Post
                          Thanks everyone.
                          Lowrey, were you selling this coat last week?
                          nope, not me

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                          just like brad pitt...

but without the money, or the hot wife, or the vietnamese kids..
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• MikeN
                            • Nov 2007

Semper that looks great

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              ...I'm glad I am not 6ft tall/48 - my wallet would be in serious trouble.
                              Amen!

Metro: I like the tunic with the Ann belt as vest/scarf as well as the color accents.

Semper: The layering, texture and and grey scale of the outfit are great. I wish I was in Amsterdam today.

Mail-Moth: You seem to be channeling Yohji, which is a good thing on you.
                              THE HOUSE OF DIS
                              embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• jogu
                                • Jun 2009

moth i like this fit , like alot . the silhouette and overall feelin is the same as your usual fits but somethin bout this stands out to me , i think its the all black and lack of colors . the 1st pic is my favorite with the trench buttoned all the way up and closed

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎