X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kunk75
    Banned
    • May 2008

to me, the best outfits on here (best IMO) wouldn't look out of place in most circumstances/situations and the most ridiculous ones are out of place anywhere.

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
      I'm not following you here. Why should their opinions and concerns affect the choices I make in regards to the clothing that I wear?
      because you have a relationship with them, and because wearing certain kinds of things in certain circles can be a source of discomfort and embarrassment to them.................I think all of us have in our closets things that are somewhat edgy and extreme and other things that would work well in certain social circles without offending.

I would not go to a conservative friends wedding wearing one of my Drop Crotch suits.........I just wouldn't!

My wife is the manager of a big bank in JA, whenever I go to visit her at the bank, I just do nice and simple, as it would just bring the kind of attention I know she doesn't want from her coworkers
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• endorphinz
        Banned
        • Jun 2009

@zamb
        I agree with you but some would call us sell outs

@beardown
        I don't recall saying I was trying to impress anyone and if I were,they certainly wouldn't be average or typical. I know it's what's on the inside that counts. That's why people buy $1500 sneakers and 6k leather jackets... maybe the 'inside refers to the label?

I'm not tryin to be superficial or shallow but I am aiming to be real. my style has evolved to the point that I feel good when I 'navigate my life'. I feel confident and secure with myself when I interact with the world around me. in all honesty, I doubt I would feel this way if there weren't acceptance of my style, on some level, by others... not EVERYONE but these peopke in my life i deem important. and yeah,sure I wanna be liked/loved/appreciated for my 'inner self' but I never discount the importance of pure physical attraction....animalism at it's finest.

Comment

• anomolies
          • Dec 2011

That's how I feel about fashion and how you present yourself. One should be versatile, and have many different styles that work for them, for different situations

It makes a person more interesting when others don't know what to expect.

I say dress for yourself, but be considerate of others occasionally as well.

I agree with beardown as well. It's a way of screening out those who aren't worth your time. Why waste your time being attracted to someone who isn't attracted to you?
          Last edited by anomolies; 01-05-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• endorphinz
            Banned
            • Jun 2009

sorry bout typos... typing on a phone sucks

Comment

• CHRIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2006

in high school, i just wanted to be noticed. but ironically i lacked much perceptual awareness or social grace. i've come to like attention less and less as i've gotten older. i've been told that i come off rather cold, and unapproachable, and i don't need to reinforce that any further with my styling. in fact, i'd feel incredibly uncomfortable wearing something i might have posted in this thread 3 or so years ago. it seems as if i've progressively (and almost subconsciously) tamed my style to blend a bit more. i just pay attention to nuance like i never did before.

we all care about what others think, to some degree. we're people, not fucking cats.

Comment

• anomolies
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by CHRIS View Post
                in high school, i just wanted to be noticed. but ironically i lacked much perceptual awareness or social grace. i've come to like attention less and less as i've gotten older. i've been told that i come off rather cold, and unapproachable, and i don't need to reinforce that any further with my styling. in fact, i'd feel incredibly uncomfortable wearing something i might have posted in this thread 3 or so years ago. it seems as if i've progressively (and almost subconsciously) adjusted my style to blend a bit more. i just pay attention to nuance like i never did before.

we all care about what others think, to some degree. we're people, not fucking cats.
                When people say that you come off cold/unapproachable, I find it has a lot more to do with how often you smile (facial expression) rather than how you are dressed.
                I used to have the same problem in high school. I've made a lot of self improvements over the past decade so I no longer have that problem, but nowadays I don't really care all that much about my surroundings, which I feel is a blessing because I used to have a lot of social anxiety, for example, whenever I walked into a room it would feel like everyone was staring at me.

I've learned that you can wear whatever the hell you want and still make friends. The common misconception that people have is that they should wait to be approached. If you want to have an active social life and be well-liked, then you should be the one making the attempts at approaching others and you'll find that it's not that hard.
                Last edited by anomolies; 01-05-2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• CHRIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2006

yes, i smile. i find them to be a bit overrated, but it isn't about that, really. i won't go into convoluted, personal details. i'll just say that i've come to realize the fact that my personality seems to be a bit of an acquired taste. and i don't necessarily feel like my style needs to reflect that so overtly, you know?

i like to do experiments every now and then. clothing can have (surpisingly) powerful effects on people.

Comment

• Patroklus
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                    because you have a relationship with them, and because wearing certain kinds of things in certain circles can be a source of discomfort and embarrassment to them.................I think all of us have in our closets things that are somewhat edgy and extreme and other things that would work well in certain social circles without offending.
                    Well, if someone is going to write black tie on the invitation then I'm not the type of asshole to show up in anything but a tuxedo. I've had the fortune of always having family and friends who weren't very concerned with the way I dress so I simply can't identify with your reservations about that.

I had to wear a uniform for a sport I played in my teens. I still really dislike navy and khaki trousers.

Comment

• volta
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by CHRIS View Post
                      oh really?

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

I understand

but my point is that it isn't as simplistic as that
                        its about having the kind of awareness to know what adjustments may be necessary in situations where things are not spelled out clearly........ and I don't know how old you are or how wide your circle of friends/ acquaintances are but to say you cannot relate to something as simple as this is strange.............and I don't like nor wear navy or khaki either........at least not the kind i am assuming you re referring to

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                        Well, if someone is going to write black tie on the invitation then I'm not the type of asshole to show up in anything but a tuxedo. I've had the fortune of always having family and friends who weren't very concerned with the way I dress so I simply can't identify with your reservations about that.

I had to wear a uniform for a sport I played in my teens. I still really dislike navy and khaki trousers.
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• CHRIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by volta View Post
                          oh really?
                          i can't tell if that's an "oh really" or an "o rly"

either way... i don't really give a fuck what you think!!!!!!!!!! nor anyone else for that matter!!!!!!!!!!!! those that suggest otherwise will be pierced with these wrist adorning spikes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• volta
                            • May 2009

getting formulaic now.

Comment

• CHRIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2006

let's be more specific here. vague put downs are such a cop out!

Comment

• Kirky
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2010

^ chill guys

why so serious?

Everyone is different.
                                We aren't here to judge who's statement/concept is right or wrong.

Some people might care what others think about what they're dressing because of their own personality or from past experience(traumatic events) which unconsciously effects our cognition of how to perceive information given by people or by the world.

Some people might not care what others think because they always get compliments from others(positive reinforcement) in their childhood or through out their life(good looking?). Or it's simply just their personality which is more socially independent that they don't really care even people offense their style that they can still be happy since they still get the things they want from people(love, respect, relationship, social position)

just sharing some info i learned from psychology textbook which i read yrs ago...

Cheers
                                Last edited by Kirky; 01-06-2012, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎