• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LOVE
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
    lmao.
    Last edited by LOVE; 04-04-2014, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• Patroklus
      Banned
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
      so you own it and have worn it, then...? sometimes i wonder about the level of actual knowledge/experience behind 'advice' given on this site...

the skirt is not comfortable to walk in - it is really snug even with the slit - but it obviously looks super cool in movement, so worth it. and it fits that whole control (vs collapse) thing anyway.
      i own two of the earliest iterations of the women's pillar skirt, which have some modest differences from what was available 4 u lame boys. you're actually aware of this, and you're aware of my background in apparel construction, so i have no idea where this passive aggressive dismissal rooted in some vague appeal to ownership is coming from.

a little bit of compromise in range of motion for fit is just part of the h-line skirt game, this is well known and shuitsand would have known this when he asked the question. rick's is better than most because of the way he handled the vent, but you can't have perfect rom with this fitting and there's no need to disclaim that because it is totally self-evident.

Comment

• coup de grace
        x
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by croatoan View Post
        french laundry door + westminster kennel tricks + steez, such win.

Comment

• Shucks
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
          i own two of the earliest iterations of the women's pillar skirt, which have some modest differences from what was available 4 u lame boys. you're actually aware of this, and you're aware of my background in apparel construction, so i have no idea where this passive aggressive dismissal rooted in some vague appeal to ownership is coming from.

a little bit of compromise in range of motion for fit is just part of the h-line skirt game, this is well known and shuitsand would have known this when he asked the question. rick's is better than most because of the way he handled the vent, but you can't have perfect rom with this fitting and there's no need to disclaim that because it is totally self-evident.
          yada yada whatever. the skirt's not comfortable and u would have known it if u had ever worn one. don't post if u don't actually know what u are talking about - that type of pure attention-seeking is annoying and seems very needy.

what is your "background in apparel construction"? going to trade college for a few months?

what u claim to own obviously i can't disprove. i just have a general sense that u tend to make statements about garments (and other stuff) that u have no personal experience with. this being one of those cases.

and there is nothing passive about my aggression - i called bullshit on your post, that's all.
          Last edited by Shucks; 04-05-2014, 04:07 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• bukka
            • Sep 2011

Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

I have worn the skirt in question, but I also don't think that this has any bearing on the discussion because it's possible to dissect garments by looking at them, there is an incredible blog that does nothing but dissect garments in a very deep, technical manner using the pictures from the runway shows.

You know that my mother has been an historical costumer for decades and that I have been making clothing for the better part of a decade. Where is this narrative about my lack of technical knowledge coming from? I feel like we've revitalized the authenticity debate, only now you're questioning the value of a very real skillset that I have cultivated in favor of whatever value comes from merely owning an object. We all own phones, but how many of us have any idea about how they work or anything worth hearing to say about them?

And this is all about the simple wearability of something, too. How have you made such an obnoxious argument about such an insipid point?

Comment

• casem
                • Sep 2006

^Before this escalates, isn't this an impossible argument to begin with because wearability/comfort is entirely subjective and quite relative to the wearer's experience. If you're used to wearing jeans the skirt may indeed feel quite restrictive and odd to wear but if you're comparing to the discomfort and pain women often go through for fashion then this Rick skirt is nbd.

So everybody just calm down and consider the possibility you are both right.
                music

Comment

• Patroklus
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2011

yes, and so will your body type and shape, but the discussion really isn't about the skirt at this point, is it? it's someone, who has not been elitist and who has been avowedly anti-consumerist in the past, suddenly advancing ballership as a metric of worth.

Comment

• michael_kard
                    • Oct 2010

yada yada whatever.
                    Patroklus's passion for construction is clearly evident in a large portion of his posts... Your comment may not have been passively aggressive but it is definitely uncalled for.

On a different note, that cutting class blog is a truly great find, thanks for sharing Patroklus.
                    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• ACM
                      • Jan 2011

Yes, comfort is an extremely subjective thing, I agree. However, I live for the moment when I walk in the door at night and take off that skirt. As badass as it is, it is hideously uncomfortable...again, totally subjective

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

I have worn the skirt in question, but I also don't think that this has any bearing on the discussion because it's possible to dissect garments by looking at them, there is an incredible blog that does nothing but dissect garments in a very deep, technical manner using the pictures from the runway shows.

You know that my mother has been an historical costumer for decades and that I have been making clothing for the better part of a decade. Where is this narrative about my lack of technical knowledge coming from? I feel like we've revitalized the authenticity debate, only now you're questioning the value of a very real skillset that I have cultivated in favor of whatever value comes from merely owning an object. We all own phones, but how many of us have any idea about how they work or anything worth hearing to say about them?
                        that blog is too amazing...thank you!

and, good post.
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                          • Apr 2013

so you own it and have worn it, then...? sometimes i wonder about the level of actual knowledge/experience behind 'advice' given on this site...

the skirt is not comfortable to walk in - it is really snug even with the slit - but it obviously looks super cool in movement, so worth it. and it fits that whole control (vs collapse) thing anyway.
                          wanted to chime in on my skirt experience.

My skirt isn't too uncomfortable, I have posted a fit picture with it in here. Walking is probably my favorite thing about it, its a gorgeous piece when you move in it but unfortunately it's pretty tight above the knee but then it loosens up down on the bottom. After a while of Tokyo commuting, i'm pretty beat from wearing the damn piece.

i'm glad you appreciate that skirt though shucks because I wanted to sell it but you made me re-evaluate the usefulness in my wardobe.

also, kudos on the Vicious jacket, I have the same one I picked up in Miami, and my favorite thing to do is to unbutton the arm (cuff?) buttons and roll them up a little, so I can wear my wrist pieces.
                          Originally posted by unwashed
                          Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                          Originally posted by Ahimsa
                          I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

yes, and so will your body type and shape, but the discussion really isn't about the skirt at this point, is it? it's someone, who has not been elitist and who has been avowedly anti-consumerist in the past, suddenly advancing ballership as a metric of worth.
                            absolutely not what i am doing. i pointed out that your cutesy-but-pretentious post was uninformed and unhelpful. members who actually have worn/own the skirt easily answered the OP's question.

thus specific personal experience in this matter (and many others) is much more relevant than your general interest in construction, your exaggerated claims of expertise, or your mother's sewing skills.

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                            i'm glad you appreciate that skirt though shucks because I wanted to sell it but you made me re-evaluate the usefulness in my wardobe.

also, kudos on the Vicious jacket, I have the same one I picked up in Miami, and my favorite thing to do is to unbutton the arm (cuff?) buttons and roll them up a little, so I can wear my wrist pieces.
                            i don't wear that skirt very often - in fact precisely due to the low comfort level... (well, that, and a slightly disapproving significant other...)

and good tip - will try turning up the sleeves next time.
                            Last edited by Shucks; 04-05-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• originalre0
                              • Jan 2011

All by Reo Ma , boots by ccp

Comment

• schemedream
                                • Jan 2013

^been watching your posts about your work. Bigs ups man. Looking stellar!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎