X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • croatoan
    • Jul 2007

Yeah I'm not touching that.

Anyway sorry for straying from the point of "boy that original quote sure was obviously not meant to be taken seriously."

edit: pictures of persons in clothes

The usual rolling around in dirt things.

DBSS leather, Odyn Vovk hoodie, Julius t-shirt, some random pants, New Balance sneakers.
    Last edited by croatoan; 01-21-2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• stagename
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by syed View Post

But, having said that, I really don't think there is anything less "serious" just because you wear Uniqlo under your Paul Harnden. What next? Your haircut isn't serious enough, your choice of sofa isn't serious enough, the tea you drink isn't avant-garde enough?
      The Diderot effect ... states the introduction of a new possession that is deviant to the consumer's current complementary goods, can result in a process of spiraling consumption.
      The effect was first described in Diderot's essay "Regrets on Parting with My Old Dressing Gown". Here he tells how the gift of a beautiful scarlet dressing gown leads to unexpected results, eventually plunging him into debt. Initially pleased with the gift, Diderot came to rue his new garment. Compared to his elegant new dressing gown, the rest of his possessions began to seem tawdry and he became dissatisfied that they did not live up to the elegance and style of his new possession. He replaced his old straw chair, for example, with an armchair covered in Moroccan leather; his old desk was replaced with an expensive new writing table; his formerly beloved prints were replaced with more costly prints, and so on. “I was absolute master of my old dressing gown,” Diderot writes, “but I have become a slave to my new one … Beware of the contamination of sudden wealth. The poor man may take his ease without thinking of appearances, but the rich man is always under a strain.”

Side-note: That sweater is fantastic lowrey

Comment

• syed
        • Sep 2010

^ Yikes, that is kinda scary when you think about it, but I can see how that would happen, especially with brands trying to sell "lifestyle".
        "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• fncyths
          • Apr 2010

cold steel / boiled wool

Originally posted by Shucks
          it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
          Originally posted by interest1
          I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Nickefuge
            • Nov 2014

Geez, I didn´t think my harmless post would upset someone so much.
            Of course it was a joke. There was even a smiley!
            "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
            -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by stagename View Post
              The Diderot effect ... states the introduction of a new possession that is deviant to the consumer's current complementary goods, can result in a process of spiraling consumption.
              The effect was first described in Diderot's essay "Regrets on Parting with My Old Dressing Gown". Here he tells how the gift of a beautiful scarlet dressing gown leads to unexpected results, eventually plunging him into debt. Initially pleased with the gift, Diderot came to rue his new garment. Compared to his elegant new dressing gown, the rest of his possessions began to seem tawdry and he became dissatisfied that they did not live up to the elegance and style of his new possession. He replaced his old straw chair, for example, with an armchair covered in Moroccan leather; his old desk was replaced with an expensive new writing table; his formerly beloved prints were replaced with more costly prints, and so on. “I was absolute master of my old dressing gown,” Diderot writes, “but I have become a slave to my new one … Beware of the contamination of sudden wealth. The poor man may take his ease without thinking of appearances, but the rich man is always under a strain.”

Side-note: That sweater is fantastic lowrey
              Superbly elegant post Stagename. I sadly can relate to that Diderot effect, it totally describes the path I have taken since entering this world of fashion...

Comment

• stagename
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
                Superbly elegant post Stagename. I sadly can relate to that Diderot effect, it totally describes the path I have taken since entering this world of fashion...
                All of it is a quote from Wikipedia but I'll take credit anyway, thank you

Comment

• mumma
                  • Oct 2008

JIL SANDER by RAF SIMONS AW07 herringbone wool coat & cashmere scarf
                  CHRISTOPHE LEMAIRE AW13 moleskin trousers
                  CHRISTOPHE LEMAIRE SS14 wool knit
                  MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA 22 AW08 side-zip boots
                  Last edited by mumma; 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM.
                  LOUPEON — archival fashion project.
                  Web store focused on collectible garments from avant-garde European designers.
                  www.loupeon.com

Comment

• MikeN
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by kamsky View Post
                    Some color.

PH/Visvim/Visvim/M.A+/Dries
                    I need a cream jacket for sure.

Comment

• GucciAmen
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mumma View Post

JIL SANDER by RAF SIMONS AW07 herringbone wool coat & cashmere scarf
                      CHRISTOPHE LEMAIRE AW13 moleskin trousers
                      CHRISTOPHE LEMAIRE SS14 wool knit
                      MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA 22 AW08 side-zip boots
                      I like the interaction of colours and textures here. I would have liked pants that were a little tighter to give it a more severe silhouette but that's just me .

Comment

• snafu
                        • Apr 2008

mumma always like it when you post.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by syed View Post
                          ^ Yikes, that is kinda scary when you think about it, but I can see how that would happen, especially with brands trying to sell "lifestyle".
                          I think it gets even more problematic when people turn up the ethical component to the n-th degree. Wear only organic cotton, drink only fair trade coffee, don't eat meat because of animal welfare, don't eat fish because we are overfishing, don't drive or fly because we've reached peak oil, and so on. The hard truth is that that there is no pure lifestyle in this world. And maybe there never was. So that's really what has irked me in the fudge's post. Let him who's without a sin, and so on...
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• syed
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            I think it gets even more problematic when people turn up the ethical component to the n-th degree.
                            Oh absolutely, you're doomed to lose if you go that route. Plus then you get people who seem to attack others for what they wear or eat, and it all becomes incredibly petty. Lowering the tone a bit, but reminds me of the Vegans having superpowers in Scott Pilgrim just because they're vegan
                            "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• nvsnli
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by stagename View Post
                              All of it is a quote from Wikipedia but I'll take credit anyway, thank you
                              Still need to understand the concept and know what to paste from Wikipedia.

Sadly i can relate to this also

Comment

• Rick-A-Doodle
                                • Oct 2014

Adjusting to my new home in Austin. Wondering how an East Coast wardrobe will work down here. Pretty basic but I just needed something to go get tacos.

Rick/Wang/PS/DRKSHDW/Ann

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎