Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOHSAD
    • Nov 2014

@Voltbird, why's your outfit amazing! Everything about it looks natural and the proportions are on point. Only thing I'd switch out is the CDG bear bag, looks out of place with this outfit as oppose to your previous ones (but that's me nitpicking more than anything ).
    "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• galia
      • Jun 2009

I like the white socks ! less obvious than black, and give a schoolkid vibe that goes well with the bag. Black would be boring. I like this outfit, you look like an Oliver Twist character, it's cute

Comment

• Defender
        Banned
        • Jan 2015

Since I'm on a roll today, I guess I'll just put this out there.

Some time ago Faust said that if we don't start calling people out for shitposts, there won't stop being shitposts. I couldn't find the post to quote it.

There have been way too many low-quality fits posted lately without any comment. I know most of the good posters have left, and that the board has degenerated to the point that people saying, "hey you almost look like a guy who used to post here," is taken as a compliment now, but there needs to be some sort of quality control.

Dressing up like video game characters, or in outfits with non-designer pieces, or even in basic outfits of ready to wear clothing, is not the point.

I don't want to mention specifics because I do feel badly, and I know I am not next level...far from it. However, I do try to do things with non-basic pieces, and I stick to current/contemporary season designer outfits that at least make sense here. I'm lucky that when I have posted in the past, people offered genuine criticism and suggestions. To me, that means that I was at least in the ballpark and moving in the right direction.

That would be better than someone posting something that is downright silly, and has nothing to do with current season designs by sz level labels, which has happened too much lately.

Am I the only one who misses the good old days of next-level people posting and everyone else being too scared to even submit until you felt ready? Even if it means the thread lays dormant for days at a time...these shit fits are lowering the bar to the point that I'm not sure there is a bar anymore.

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

Since I'm on a roll with you at the moment, this was the last fit you posted a month ago and my brain just exploded:

Edit: and the other two are pods with the same springblades, and a look you said you racked directly off the Island runway. What does ready-to-wear mean in your universe? Posting garments outside current season offerings is shitposting?

CANNOT WRITE ITSELF

Comment

• Arkady
            • Apr 2011

The lack of self-awareness is borderline concerning but carry on, by all means.

Comment

• voltbird
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Defender View Post
              Since I'm on a roll today, I guess I'll just put this out there.

Dressing up like video game characters, or in outfits with non-designer pieces, or even in basic outfits of ready to wear clothing, is not the point.

I don't want to mention specifics because I do feel badly, and I know I am not next level...far from it. However, I do try to do things with non-basic pieces, and I stick to current/contemporary season designer outfits that at least make sense here. I'm lucky that when I have posted in the past, people offered genuine criticism and suggestions. To me, that means that I was at least in the ballpark and moving in the right direction.

That would be better than someone posting something that is downright silly, and has nothing to do with current season designs by sz level labels, which has happened too much lately.

Am I the only one who misses the good old days of next-level people posting and everyone else being too scared to even submit until you felt ready? Even if it means the thread lays dormant for days at a time...these shit fits are lowering the bar to the point that I'm not sure there is a bar anymore.
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be the very ethos of a place like SZ to elevate passion over, I don't know, branding cliques? Intellectual and emotional connections to a designer's work, and quality construction, rather than the (occasionally) arbitrary line drawing of who gets to be included in the SZ "club"? What do you mean by "silly," and what reasoning do you use to determine that? Why necessarily prioritize contemporary collections over the historical canon considered in full, especially when so many fashion houses have actually degraded over time, rather than improving?

Do we really want to be encouraging that kind of myopia, particularly on a forum that claims dedication to thoughtful engagement...?

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

No, we don't. I think Defender needs to go to the forum that was started by the members he misses so much. Whatever happened to that?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Defender
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2015

I would suggest that, even in the title of the board, Style Zeitgeist, contemporary fashion is certainly the focus of the forum.

Also, more than just the relationship between current and past seasons, when fits are posted that have nothing to do with current season shows, maybe that's when it just shouldn't be posted?

Fashion is a specific art...there are actual shows by fashion designers each season that I thought were the focus of this forum. When fits are posted that have no relationship to the world of contemporary fashion, meaning the specific art and business of presenting seasonal collections, I would say that those fits don't add to the zeitgeist.

Just because some pieces are outlandish enough to be thrown together into a fit pic doesn't mean that they have anything to do with the actual art of fashion, other than someone's personal style.

Maybe I'm wrong and people should keep posting fits with mall brand clothes mixed in with designer basics, but I don't think that I am.

Comment

• Defender
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                    CANNOT WRITE ITSELF
                    I already said I am not perfect, but yeah, trying something new with a shoe that my favorite designer exclusively showed a season ago was at least an attempt at a meaningful contribution, and it was met with meaningful criticism and suggestions for improvement.

That's more than can be said for at least 8 out of 10 of the outfits posted in the last few months.

Comment

• Arkady
                      • Apr 2011

Yeah I mean, we were already in Cyclops when you posted your Island fit so by your own logic you're making shit contributions.

Are you saying the significance of the artform is in its seasonality and that the garments outside the current season are irrelevant / out of the zeitgeist? You're totally right -- you're wrong.

Comment

• Defender
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2015

Specifically, only the shirt is Island, the rest is current drkshdw if I remember, and that's exactly what I was talking about. Mixing current and previous collections is obviously ok, as is wearing an archive outfit for fun or nostalgia.

I'm talking about fits with no connection to the contemporary or not even designer quality elements.

I wish Faust would link the post he made recently saying exactly the same thing. This is not the place for basic fits, but experimentation and feedback.

Comment

• Arkady
                          • Apr 2011

I straight up don't know what you're trying to articulate in that case, you're going to have to call people out directly at this point because no one knows what a "connection to the contemporary" means. Or you could just not because you last posted something that looks like a GAP fit with edgy adidas strapped on.

Can you post which law firm you work at so I don't hire you dudes by accident?

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                            • Jul 2013

What post is this even in regard to..? Voltbird's?

Comment

• Defender
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
                              What post is this even in regard to..? Voltbird's?
                              Almost all of the posts for the past few months. The quality of the fits posted has been declining slowly for years and has reached a new low.

I can find more inspiring fits searching #rickowens on Instagram, but if no one wants to talk about it while the ship sinks, fine.

Comment

• Arkady
                                • Apr 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍