• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IALAB
    Banned
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by guardimp View Post
    Do you care to give an example of a recent post with just a t-shirt, jeans, boots/shoes and a leather jacket? The last two I see are francojean and stagename back on page 2284, both of which are more into the SZ ascetic then your post (maybe due to their brand selection). Every other post from here to 2283 is much more involved then the one you posted. If you cared to look back in the posts here or in the HOF thread you might better understand that your outfit stands out - and not in a good way.
    I said t-shirt/jeans/boot (no leather, so even more "simple" than my fit).

Look back one page - holger posted a fit with a long sleeve tee, jeans, and boots.

Comment

• guardimp
      • Jun 2010

The difference is that holger is posting a great photo with what appears to be luc and a1923, through his photography and post processing his photograph looks much more congruent then yours.

It does not hurt that it is holger and it isn't armani.

Comment

• IALAB
        Banned
        • Feb 2014

OK, mind if I take some notes for myself?

1. Wear LUC and A1923
        2. Don't wear Zam or CCP
        3. Be Holger

Comment

• upsilonkng
          • May 2010

the point is simple, u can wear what u want and if u make it look good people don't really have shit to say, it can be something as simple as t / pants/ shoes, i mean we all have to wear at least 2 of those most of the time anyways. But this is sz so yeah we don't ride w/ Armani or Armani express or whatever other Armani douchebag sidebrands there are. It's not what sz is here for, actually it's what SZ is here to admonish .. if I want to see Armani worn badly I could go to any mall in america, any nightclub in Miami, any gathering of athletes or coaches in a formal setting, any 80's Lakers game when Riles was still coaching,an episode of Miami Vice or any wedding where they don't care about "fashion".

here are some notes for the future
          1. dont bring steak into a vegan restaurant
          2. don't buy that shitty steak at Food For Less
          3. don't be surprised when the vegan restaurant shows u the door

Comment

• francojean23
            • Sep 2008

Comment

• Deux_Oiseaux
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TheThief View Post
              Honestly, you guys are using the term normcore improperly and far too often.
              Yeah, that's what it seemed like to me - the term has become so meaningless through overuse that Faust just uses it as shorthand for "things i dislike/things i don't understand/things that don't look like a marylin manson-listening high school goth got a better job and can afford more expensive clothes". It just seems incredibly out of touch and insecure - does what you do/wear mean nothing if it's not reactionary or in opposition to some perceived mainstream, like a goth wearing eyeliner to spite his parents?

Originally posted by IALAB View Post
              OK, mind if I take some notes for myself?

1. Wear LUC and A1923
              2. Don't wear Zam or CCP
              3. Be Holger
              Honestly, the fit as a whole was bad, but frankly the only thing that doesn't fit the "SZ aesthetic" is the watch, and the brand of the leather jacket.

The fact is, that despite all the "us vs them" distinction between nouveau-riche chinese or college kids on IG, or whatever other punching bag the forum's using, the way the waywt here, like on most other sites, works is really just a bunch of adults taking selfies and competing in a popularity contest based on what brands are in the hashtags or the brand-list, how many friends they have or how long they've been on here, or any number of intangible things that have next to nothing to do with how the outfit actually looks
              Last edited by Deux_Oiseaux; 01-16-2015, 02:01 AM.

Comment

• kuriz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Deux_Oiseaux View Post
                The fact is, that despite all the "us vs them" distinction between nouveau-riche chinese or college kids on IG, or whatever other punching bag the forum's using, the way the waywt here, like on most other sites, works is really just a bunch of adults taking selfies and competing in a popularity contest based on what brands are in the hashtags or the brand-list, how many friends they have or how long they've been on here, or any number of intangible things that have next to nothing to do with how the outfit actually looks

I remember seeing more and more posters only "tagging" their pictures with wool, leather etc. and no brands. I'm not saying it isn't happening but lately (past 1-2 years maybe) it has been adressed by at least some posters and the names of the brands seems less important compared to the aesthetic of the garments. The friends "shoulderclapping" are obvious on SZ in my head in a community this small with posters even fewer and still I do not find it as being such a huge thing. I believe the reason that this might be/look true is because often it's the same people posting fits and commenting on others' fits - nothing wrong with that, it just makes the circle look even smaller.
                I can agree that some posters (even thought they are indeed posting inspirational fits) are being praised also because they're long time members. But shuit (as a very good example of an inspirational waywt poster) and also later on warg (which had - in my opinion - too hard of a start up compared to some of the refreshing things he showed) weren't here for a long time before posting great fits.

So while I only agree with some of the arguments described above, I'm interested in hearing how you would like it to work?

Back to mostly lurking

Comment

• stagename
                  • Oct 2011

So I randomly picked 10 pages to address the above comment that "every other post from here to 2283 is much more involved then the one you posted".

Here are some looks taken from these 10 pages that address this. Taken out of context, I believe these look similar to IALAB's. I understand the reasoning behind curating looks, but I'm also of the opinion that if the leather jacket would have been any brand approved by this forum, we wouldn't be having this discussion. This is circle jerking at its best. Can't we just be honest and say something like: We don't like that you are wearing Armani and posting it here, it doesn't fit (see upsilonkng comment).

Also, I'd like to apologize if you're featured in the following pictures. I like these looks. I like black tees, black pants, and black leathers. This is how I dress 80% of the time. I like your fits guys.

tshirt, pants and shoes

leather, pants, boots

leather shirt boots

Sweatshirt, pants, boots.

Comment

• guardimp
                    • Jun 2010

You are quite right, noone would say anything if that jacket had been ccp or bbs or any other brand that people here wear. But at the same time I find the comparison photos you posted kind of interesting. One of the four was quite likely cross posted to SF, two are pretty good outfits, and one suffers from the photography. It does not seem hard to tell which is which, do you disagree?

Edit - although faust might call one of the good ones artisnal normcore.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by guardimp View Post
                      You are quite right, noone would say anything if that jacket had been ccp or bbs or any other brand that people here wear. But at the same time I find the comparison photos you posted kind of interesting. One of the four was quite likely cross posted to SF, two are pretty good outfits, and one suffers from the photography. It does not seem hard to tell which is which, do you disagree?

Edit - although faust might call one of the good ones artisnal normcore.
                      The point is the ethos of those brands, as opposed to Armani's ethos. Jesus, isn't that obvious? Why do I even have to explain this on SZ?

Upsilon's steak in a vegan restaurant is going to be my new favorite saying.

Also, I guarantee you The Thief was not referring to me when he said people are misusing the term "normcore." Casem's outfit was anything but.

Lastly, I appreciate your efforts at being the voice of reason, fit_magna_caedes. You will learn that it rarely works.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• YTheLastMan
                        • Apr 2014

Rick (after haircut and minus Rick beanie)

Am I doing Rick norm core?

Comment

• francojean23
                          • Sep 2008

The proportions seem off to me. I think it's the blazer length in conjunction with the shoes. Weirdly, it doesn't look awkward from the back though, at least as an image.

Comment

• Icarium
                            • Oct 2010

Yeah honestly can't picture what it looks like, but my instinct almost wants to say wider/drapey-er pants might work better... since my reaction is like heavy top -> slim legs -> chunky sneakerboots.

Comment

• YTheLastMan
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Icarium View Post
                              Yeah honestly can't picture what it looks like, but my instinct almost wants to say wider/drapey-er pants might work better... since my reaction is like heavy top -> slim legs -> chunky sneakerboots.
                              perhaps the shirt length too.

I prefer to wear my Carpe boots with slim pants and a blazer-y look, but it's snowy as fuck and -20 in Montreal right now, so the Rick boots are more convenience than aesthetic

Comment

• casem
                                • Sep 2006

Actually I prefer heavy footwear with heavy top/skinny pants to balance out the top. The problem here is the length of the shirt coupled with the height of the boots makes the legs looks stumpy. I'd say either wear a shirt that ends at the same place as the jacket, or keep the shirt and wear baggier pants that continue the line of the shirt to the floor and don't boot tuck. As it is, the body is just dissected at too many unflattering points.

Edit: oops YTheLast beat me. Overall not a bad outfit tho
                                Originally posted by Icarium View Post
                                music

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎