Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MoFiya
    • Sep 2007

Yeah, gotta be a good one since D always lets the smallest size tailored to fit slim
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by gaitortrout View Post
      Seriously though, sleeve-length is probably the most often neglected alteration that has the biggest effect on appearance. Would like to see more people consider it.
      For coats and jackets it's often a relatively expensive job to get done, so that could be a reason why many people don't bother. Not as cheap as some would assume anyway. From what I know they have to un-stitch the shoulder to remove the fabric up there as the cuffs need to remain untouched. I'd personally get very worried sending in a piece to get someone to pick apart the shoulder...

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by move_ment View Post
        ^I agree, it's quite surprising what sleeve length can do to an outfit. but, what about designers that intend on longer arms (ie carol, rick, damir)? I understand instances that ones height would override the designers intentions, though.
        I think if you are 6ft tall, you can get away with much more than if you are 5'5".
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• move_ment
          • Feb 2009

^yeah, that's why I added in the last sentence.

but really, long sleeve length is a recurring SZ trait in most, if not all the designers discussed here (sans some japaneese labels).

Comment

• jogu
            • Jun 2009

i love long ass sleeves but only if the proportions of the rest of the shirt or jacket or whatever the hell is still tru to size . i dont think it looks rite if like the sleeves are long becos the size is too big for the person wearin it . lotsa times when the tailors come out to the fittin room ill have em crop the length of the shirt but leave the sleeves all long .

as for those kinda alterations i dont think it affects resale value . i mean like when someones interested in my shit they almost always have the same proportions as me so im prol savin them some $$ by havin alrdy had the shit tailored . i imagine that mite be the same for other sizes also ?

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

that charcoal baggy yohji blazer i've been wearing since college has been getting more rumpled around the edges so i went all out and chucked it into the washing machine, and voila - now it feels like a Comme de Yamamoto piece. I dig it.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                I think if you are 6ft tall, you can get away with much more than if you are 5'5".
                and if you are 6ft tall, you can get away with much more than if you are 6'4 as well
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ true! :-)
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gaitortrout
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                    For coats and jackets it's often a relatively expensive job to get done, so that could be a reason why many people don't bother. Not as cheap as some would assume anyway. From what I know they have to un-stitch the shoulder to remove the fabric up there as the cuffs need to remain untouched. I'd personally get very worried sending in a piece to get someone to pick apart the shoulder...
                    For elaborate details or construction near the cuff like a surgeon's cuff which you should almost always find on an expensive jacket, the requirement is to shorten the sleeve at the shoulder, otherwise it should be possible/easier/cheaper to shorten at the cuff.

Either way, if you're buying an expensive piece (a given if you're shopping at a SZ-type boutique) at regular price requiring shortening or any type of tailoring, ask the SA if the shop will cover the costs of alterations. In my experience the store will be happy to cover those costs, which are marginal compared to the cost of a CCP jacket for example. (Of course, forget about returning the garment if there are any issues with the fit...)
                    pm me.

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                      it's actually not that bad, as with everything finding a legitimate place that does good work is hard. but once you find it, you're set. Somebody had to sew the shoulder first.

most of my sport coats have surgeon cuffs, altered sleeve length, the seam on the shoulder is just like new if not better. then again my tailor is a little more pricey not some dry cleaning place that offers alterations

Comment

• Raw
                        • Oct 2009

Ok before and after pics, and now I realise my iphone 4 takes better pics than my digital cam

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

sleeves look much better, did you have anything else done? also the slimmer trousers make the whole silhouette more balanced
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• nictan
                            • Jul 2009

if im not wrong, i think he shortened the overall length as well, in addition to the sleeves.

Comment

• Raw
                              • Oct 2009

Thanks, yep had the length of the coat and sleeves taken up 5cm.

Comment

• MoFiya
                                • Sep 2007

I agree, looks much better now. Amazing what 5cm of length can do. Do you have any fit pics with the coat worn open? Would be interesting to see, too because IMO it is the clean 1-button look which made everything look a bit compressed. I can imagine it looks even better worn open.
                                I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍