• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Weekend in NY MAY

[quote user="RADO"]

I am very open myself for food. Any place with good food and nice decoration. For drink, a place you can have fun dancing and preferable gay friendly but mixed.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

[/quote]

Well, unlike the ballers in this thread, I like places that are fairly low key and are solid and relaxing rather than sceney. I like Aquagrill for seafood, Jean-Claude if I feel nostalgia for Paris, Le Gamin if I feel nostalgia for Paris and don't feel like spending a lot of money (excellent crepes), Bar Pitti for pasta, and Blue Ribbon Bakery for an excellent burger in a laid back, quiet environment. I love sangria and tapas, I go to N (pronounced "e-nya", but i don't have the spanish keyboard) for that. I took Albert there last time - he loved it (at least he said so).

As far as clubs, I haven't been one in a long time. Thanks to the internet, these days you either go to a shit club that you can't enjoy because of bridge and tunnel meatheads and orange-tanned girls who love them, or you simply don't get in unless you know someone. Maybe the gay scene is different.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I forgot you are Spanish - I guess you can scratch that N recommendation [86]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

[quote user="RADO"]

I am very open myself for food. Any place with good food and nice decoration. For drink, a place you can have fun dancing and preferable gay friendly but mixed.

[/quote]

you didn't like my list? well fine.

Comment

• Diego
        • Aug 2007

^ hehehe, we should go to the food thread Xadam I'm getting hungry. I did get some of your recommendations.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="RADO"]

[/quote]

Well, unlike the ballers in this thread, I like places that are fairly low key and are solid and relaxing rather than sceney. I like Aquagrill for seafood, Jean-Claude if I feel nostalgia for Paris, Le Gamin if I feel nostalgia for Paris and don't feel like spending a lot of money (excellent crepes), Bar Pitti for pasta, and Blue Ribbon Bakery for an excellent burger in a laid back, quiet environment. I love sangria and tapas, I go to N (pronounced "e-nya", but i don't have the spanish keyboard) for that. I took Albert there last time - he loved it (at least he said so).

As far as clubs, I haven't been one in a long time. Thanks to the internet, these days you either go to a shit club that you can't enjoy because of bridge and tunnel meatheads and orange-tanned girls who love them, or you simply don't get in unless you know someone. Maybe the gay scene is different.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I forgot you are Spanish - I guess you can scratch that N recommendation [86]

[/quote]

N was great Faust!! Hard to find truly good tapas places around and they're some of my favorite regular places to eat at since you can just nibble and hang out. In Boston my favorite restaurant is/was Taberna De Haro which was also a tapas place. Everything cooked to order in tiny amounts. Perfect.

My friend went to N at my suggestion with his girlfriend just last weekend... thanks to you! He loved it as well

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Pinoy
            • Dec 2006

ive always been a big fan of mario batali so I'd definitely recommend Babbo.

Per Se was great, but honestly- the service was really the star of the night. Stop by Sushi Yasuda for incredibly fresh, traditional sushi. I've been to Masa but still think Urasawa here in LA is much better.

Other memorable places include Blue Hill NY, Bouchon for breakfast in the morning, and Jean-George's

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Daniel! You went to masa? Can you tell us more about it?

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• ddohnggo
                • Oct 2006

babbo was really good. the squid ink pasta is the shit.

i live right by sushi yasuda and i still haven't gone. sushi of gari is also really good.

yaki tori toto is quite delicious.

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• mamaboy
                  • Mar 2008

i like bonita in williamsburg.....
                  but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
                    • Mar 2008

but i eat anything....
                    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• philip nod
                      • Aug 2007

frannys in park slope is pretty much the best place in brooklyn...get there at 6 or you will wait for hours just for a seat at the bar, unfortunately this is a recent phenom
                      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Pinoy
                        • Dec 2006

[quote user="ddohnggo"]

[/quote]

+10000. The only other pasta I've had that beats Babbo's squid ink pasta is the truffled egg pasta at Buon Ricordo in Sydney.

[quote user="Chinorlz"]Daniel! You went to masa? Can you tell us more about it?[/quote]

Masa's strength is in its variety and rarity of raw fish. I'm quite certain that the quality of fish and rice is on the same level as Urasawa in LA and Sushi Yasuda in NY.

The best illustration I can give you of the rarity of the fish served in Masa is the fugu (blowfish). I had the Fugu prepared three different ways, each of which was stellar. Unfortunately, fugu season is during the winter...so Masa currently won't be serving any as their menu is seasonal.

Other standouts included the uni risotto (Providence's uni risotto in LA is downright atrocious in comparison) and the kobe beef.

Unfortunately, there were more than a few duds that marred my experience. Most of the cooked dishes were just average, which is why I believe Urasawa trumps Masa. Both Urasawa's raw and cooked dishes are exquisite. I remember the clams being quite rubbery and the foie gras being overcooked.

But then again, I wasn't impressed by Keller's famous butter-poached lobster at Per Se either...so perhaps it could be my tastebuds as well :P Or maybe Per Se just had a bad day. In any case, the oysters and pearls at Per Se is amazing!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

thanks for the quick rundown Daniel!

so... did you eat at the actual hinoki bar with everything made by Masa or did you eat at BarMasa? Just wanted some clarification on it.

Comment

• Pinoy
                            • Dec 2006

actual hinokibar. its the only way to go. :)

i think i spend more $ on food than clothing :( way to be a terrible SZ member. haha

Comment

• DHC
                              • Jul 2007

[quote user="danieldy"][quote user="ddohnggo"]

[/quote]

+10000. The only other pasta I've had that beats Babbo's squid ink pasta is the truffled egg pasta at Buon Ricordo in Sydney.

[quote user="Chinorlz"]Daniel! You went to masa? Can you tell us more about it?[/quote]

Masa's strength is in its variety and rarity of raw fish. I'm quite certain that the quality of fish and rice is on the same level as Urasawa in LA and Sushi Yasuda in NY.

The best illustration I can give you of the rarity of the fish served in Masa is the fugu (blowfish). I had the Fugu prepared three different ways, each of which was stellar. Unfortunately, fugu season is during the winter...so Masa currently won't be serving any as their menu is seasonal.

Other standouts included the uni risotto (Providence's uni risotto in LA is downright atrocious in comparison) and the kobe beef.

Unfortunately, there were more than a few duds that marred my experience. Most of the cooked dishes were just average, which is why I believe Urasawa trumps Masa. Both Urasawa's raw and cooked dishes are exquisite. I remember the clams being quite rubbery and the foie gras being overcooked.

But then again, I wasn't impressed by Keller's famous butter-poached lobster at Per Se either...so perhaps it could be my tastebuds as well :P Or maybe Per Se just had a bad day. In any case, the oysters and pearls at Per Se is amazing!

[/quote]

Wow! That's saying something.

Urasawa is easily one of the finest dining experiences!! But your also paying a hefty difference for it.

Originally posted by Faust
                              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• DHC
                                • Jul 2007

[quote user="ddohnggo"]

diego, you want to masa????????? NICE!

i really want to go, but i need someone else willing to drop that kind of cash to go there for dinner.

you should go to per se. it's really delicious and half the price of masa.

[/quote]

Let's roll Joey!

Originally posted by Faust
                                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎