Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endersgame
    • Aug 2009

heh, i've been reading this thread all day at work and i just don't understand what the fascination is with ramen. it's just noodles in salty broth, but for $13+ a bowl? the fuck?

i mean, if you are a carnivore, you can have a bowl of Phở bigger than your face in the most amazing broth, or hand pulled beef noodles plus the performance of watching the guy pull angel hair out of a wad of dough, or chiu chow broth noodles (if you can take the msg)- all for around $5 or less.

granted, all of those places probably failed health inspections more than i failed my french regents, but still, it's way better than ramen..

Comment

• mass
      • Sep 2006

i like the ramen at rockmeisha... but i do like hand pulled noodles more (the best in ny are from this place on e broadway, near pike. i forget the name because it's chinese. their dumplings are good too).

Comment

• endersgame
        • Aug 2009

^^ i think you are referring to lan zhou handmade noodle on east broadway.

something like $3.75 for pulled noodles and $1.50 for 8 pot stickers. you can be homeless and still afford that. those dumplings by the way are macerated in soy sauce, so you don't even have to dip them..

Comment

• mass
          • Sep 2006

that's the place, thanks.

Comment

• scott.m
            • Mar 2009

interest1 souen is my favorite spot, i work on 11th between 1st and 2nd so if i'm getting any ramen it is from there, derek will agree with me. i've yet to go to ippudo though, and minca is okay in wintertime, i feel like souen might be better than other spots during summer.

Comment

• interest1
              • Nov 2008

/\

oh you're just up the street from my favorite coffee spot: Abraco.

I was introduced to it about a year & a half ago by someone who insisted it was the best in the city. And he was absolutely right.

sain't

Comment

• scott.m
                • Mar 2009

i'll definitely be looking into it, thanks! i actually only started drinking coffee on occasion since january, i was never too much of a fan but lately i can enjoy it.

Comment

• polishmike
                  • Jan 2007

I can see Abraco from my window, so that's my everyday stop. Had a cortado today right before they closed. I like that it's so small, mostly locals hang out inside so it's always an interesting conversation.

I'm surprised how many people like Souen. I rather eat at Angelica's Kitchen, Caravan of Dreams or Quintessence. All vegan/vegetarian and not too far from Souen. I think the best vegan around that area is Pure Food and Wine but that's a little more expensive.

Scott are you vegetarian?

Comment

• scott.m
                    • Mar 2009

nope, but i enjoy vegetarian/ vegan food from time to time. if i go to souen it's usually with grant and he's vegan so thats how i ended up finding out about it. he actually owes me a meal for selling his rick jacket so maybe i'll check out some of those spots you listed.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

$1.50 for 8 dumplings, you gotta start wondering what they put in them...
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                        • Mar 2007

my occasional routine...sandwich at Porchetta...short walk to Abraco for a cappuccino !

Been going to Ninth Street Espresso at Tompkins Sq recently too...like that it's quiet and has seats.

Comment

• polishmike
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          $1.50 for 8 dumplings, you gotta start wondering what they put in them...
                          I think it's 12 for $3 now. And what do they put in them? Not much.

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

Finally...

Thank you for your recent purchase at SousVideSupreme.com.
                            Your order number is 19728791

Your purchase included the following items:
                            1 SousVide Supreme
                            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• polishmike
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post
                              my occasional routine...sandwich at Porchetta...short walk to Abraco for a cappuccino !
                              I've seen few individuals at Abraco that most likely post here. If you ever want to take a break from Porchetta (I rarely do), you can check out Luke's Lobster (other side of 7st). Fantastic lobster rolls.

Comment

• endersgame
                                • Aug 2009

an old italian grandma made this for me. it's fresh pasta with wild mushroom pesto. the aroma goes straight into my nose when i take a bite. it's incredible..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎