X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

My hood has the best Turkish food in NYC. That is all.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by whitney View Post
      discovered a new type of sliced bread-- pineapple bun crust on top, swirled custard inside..
      pineapple bun crust is the asian version of the muffin top. truly one of the best things in life. you want to just eat it and throw the rest out..

i don't know why they call it pineapple, it has none..

Comment

• Raw
        • Oct 2009

It's because the top is suppose to look like pineapple skin. I think some places do use pineapple though.

Comment

• MoFiya
          • Sep 2007

Olive-oil poached Salmon // meshed potatoes w parmesan n olives // caramelized chicorée

coconut-vanilla ice cream w chocolate chips
          (thanks to bounty for the inspiration)
          I have dreams of orca whales and owls
          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Good Japanese in the East Village, please. Not for Ramen, but in general.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• polishmike
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Good Japanese in the East Village, please. Not for Ramen, but in general.
              late pass but check out Kyo Ya

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                • Jan 2010

Something I prepared for breakfast this morning. I much prefer making mini pancakes compared to thick fluffy ones. Bananas and golden syrup for me. Although, nutella and peanut butter goes well too.

MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• munch
                  • Aug 2008

damn I'm so hungry.. that looks delicious, Farkhanyassin. love bananas and pancakes.
                  cute presentation too

not sure if this goes here or in technology, but either way I found it kinda amusing. the music makes it better

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                    • Jan 2010

Thanks munch.

Looks like tomorrow's lunch is lamb kebab. The music sounds like it belongs to a japanese cooking game.
                    MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

had risotto last night. this is one of those things where if you can't make right, you shouldn't serve it on the menu..

and throwing a bunch of truffles in it won't make it better..

Comment

• MoFiya
                        • Sep 2007

^ I never really had problems doing that... One of my meals I cook when nothing else comes to my mind. Good for getting rid of all vegetable leftovers, too.

However, here's the deal:
                        Steam some garlic & shallot (some use butter, I prefer olive oil).
                        When it is glassy (?), add the rice, let it steam for short and deglaze with white wine (I use sherry most of the time). When the wine is vaporized, add some hot / warm (!) broth - you can use water, too. Of course, a good broth gives the dish more depth, but if you do a vegetable risotto, hot water totally does the job for me.
                        Important thing is, don't add it all at once but partially... only add water when the rice has absorbed it all. It is also important to regulary stir the pan to prevent the rice from sticking to the ground... When you feel the rice is almost done, add some parmigiano (some additionally add butter, again - I dont feel this is required at all).
                        And that's about it... By the way, I often add - besides the usual suspects salt & peppa - some lemon juice to give the thing a lighter hint.

Oh and another cause of mistake is - as with most dishes - the basic ingredients. As for risotto - the rice is very important. I tried many different kinds and the best thing is Carnaroli rice... I can highly recommed you the Acquerello Organic Carnolio Rice...

Better luck next time
                        I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
                          • Jan 2010

I remember I had beautiful Risotto at an Italian cafe near my place a few years. To my despise they relocated and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the place.

Anyways, today's lunch. Shabu Shabu.

MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

was in Chelsea today and bought some skirt steak at Dickinson's Farmstand Meats.

they had some really outstanding selections. notably, their short ribs which had no marbling but perfect sheets of fat and lean meat interleaving each other. i've never seen anything quite like it..

Comment

• cmitso412
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                              had risotto last night. this is one of those things where if you can't make right, you shouldn't serve it on the menu..

and throwing a bunch of truffles in it won't make it better..
                              did you have this at Nello?

Comment

• random
                                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Farkhanyassin View Post
                                I remember I had beautiful Risotto at an Italian cafe near my place a few years. To my despise they relocated and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the place.

Anyways, today's lunch. Shabu Shabu.

im starting to sweat just thinking about shabu shabu ... looks delicious tho. i'd eat it raw.
                                I don't exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎