X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Real Real
    • Feb 2007

Re: FOOD!

I went to L'Atelier a few weeks ago. I had a couple of dishes that were just good - Tete de Veau (with great aligote) and an onion tart - and one dish that was absolutely exceptional - a layered napoleon of foie gras and smoked eel.

Comment

• iSuck
      • Mar 2008

The great thing about L'Atelier is the bar (obviously) so it allows a single diner to enjoy a superb lunch or dinner there alone.</P>

I do love that they offer venison at lunch.</P>

Comment

[quote user="ddohnggo"]

i think the secret with the reservation is to not get dejected first time around. i saw a few open slots for 2 people initially, clicked on it and it went away b/c they were taken. but i tried a few more times and finally it worked. i'm assuming people don't click ok within 60 seconds so it opens up the spot again. </p>

[/quote]</p>

I think you just got lucky. [^o)]</p>

I've spent far too much time clicking on those check marks.</p>

Comment

• Real Real
          • Feb 2007

[quote user="iSuck"]

The great thing about L'Atelier is the bar (obviously) so it allows a single diner to enjoy a superb lunch or dinner there alone.</P>

I do love that they offer venison at lunch.</P>[/quote]

Definitely - they've got a nice selection of half-bottles, too.

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

[quote user="xadam"][quote user="ddohnggo"]

i think the secret with the reservation is to not get dejected first time around. i saw a few open slots for 2 people initially, clicked on it and it went away b/c they were taken. but i tried a few more times and finally it worked. i'm assuming people don't click ok within 60 seconds so it opens up the spot again. </p>

[/quote]</p>

I think you just got lucky. [^o)]</p>

I've spent far too much time clicking on those check marks.</p>

[/quote]</p>

actually, i outsourced to india[B]</p>
            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• jay
              • Mar 2008

Just went to Nobu in NYC for the first time. I know, I am YEARS behind but it was amazing!

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="jay"]Just went to Nobu in NYC for the first time. I know, I am YEARS behind but it was amazing![/quote]</p>

good stuff. did you have the miso cod?</p>
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

[quote user="iSuck"]NYC: Del Posto, craftbar, The Orchard, Cafe Gray, Telepan, Wallse, Adour Alain Ducasse, Trestle on Tenth, P*Ong, L'Atelier de Joel Rubchon, Artisnal, The Good Fork (BK), Hampton Chutney Co., Perilla, Mama Mexico (uptown), Chop't[/quote]</p>

Craftbar was one of my favorites for a few years. Went back recently and everything was double or more the price and bad. Not bad for the money, just bad. We didn't finish our food, paid our bill, walked out and ate somewhere else bad.
                  </p>

It used to be they had amazing sandwiches, really wonderful, for around $8-11, now the sandwiches (which were what I loved) ran more, and were greasy crap a mediocre diner would have been ashamed to serve. The oysters when we last went had been shucked terribly and had shell pieces in every one we tasted. I forget the starter we had, at least it was forgettable. Grrr, that restaurant's terrible decline makes me sad.</p>

</p>

On the flip side, I've learned how to cure duck breasts in order to be able to reproduce the sandwiches they no longer make.</p>
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Real Real
                    • Feb 2007

Have not been to Craftbar, but I've been to Craft and Craftsteak, and I like both for what they are. The really aged beef at Craftsteak is exceptional, and the Wagyu Tartare is awesome.

Side note - I had desserts at WD-50 a few nights ago, and I thought they (the three that we ordered) were awful. I remember a sort of white chocolate drizzle that had the texture of velveeta, a sort of marshmallow cake that tasted like store-bought marshmallows, and that was about it. The plating was interesting, but outside of that...maybe I caught them on an off night?

Comment

• iSuck
                      • Mar 2008

Craftsteak isn't all that bad; but, the Jr. Investment Banker crowd can get annoying.</P>

wd-50 you must "think outside of the box".</P>

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Didn't WD-50's Pastry chef (semi)recently depart and start his own place? Maybe they haven't gotten organized again yet.</p>

Craft is lovely.
                        </p>
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

[quote user="theetruscan"]

Didn't WD-50's Pastry chef (semi)recently depart and start his own place? Maybe they haven't gotten organized again yet.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Yes, Sam Mason left to start Tailor. But, the guy they replaced him with, Alex Stupak, was formerly the pastry chef at Alinea in Chicago; definitely not a backwards step.</p>

I [64] wd~50.</p>

RealReal maybe went on an off night. Also, that place isn't for everyone.
                          </p>

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ so the consensus, besides the unfortunate AKA's experience, is good? thinking to take mrs. faust for our anniversary.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ddohnggo
                              • Oct 2006

i really enjoyed wd-50's dessert prix fixe. it was both imaginative and tasty. </p>

i went to craft, and i remember getting a pork dish and i was not wow'ed at all. i don't think i would go there. however, my gf did go to craftbar and really enjoy it. </p>

xadam, today's ko for you, correct? let me know how it goes! </p>
                              Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

[quote user="ddohnggo"]

i really enjoyed wd-50's dessert prix fixe. it was both imaginative and tasty. </p>

i went to craft, and i remember getting a pork dish and i was not wow'ed at all. i don't think i would go there. however, my gf did go to craftbar and really enjoy it. </p>

xadam, today's ko for you, correct? let me know how it goes! </p>

[/quote]</p>

In many ways, Craft is the anti-wd50. Craft is about simple food cooked well; there's no wow factor. Their food is subtle.</p>

Faust, wd50 is amazing, if you can appreciate the whimsy. It's easy to dismiss the food as gimmicky, but, IMO, that misses the point.</p>

Random short story: I was having lunch at the Fat Duck this past May, and Wylie Dufresne walks in with his girlfriend. I nearly fell out of my chair watching Heston bring out special courses for him. </p>

Ko: I don't think I can go through with it. I'm totally fine eating alone at Noodle Bar, but I don't think I can handle or 8 courses solo. I'm going to continue trying for a 2/4 person res. (Missed out again today. [^o)])</p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎