• Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aussy View Post
    mmm crumble
    flavor combos sound to my taste

Been making lots of eastern european goodies lately, a weird departure from my typical japanese fare. Thinking of vegetarian (I'm not but typically eat as such) recipes can be tough though since so many signature dishes and flavors rely so much on the meat, but I'm getting a good handle of the flavors which is all I can ask

also have been baking a lot more
    tons of baguettes, russian black bread, challah and rugelach
    Pierogis and cabbage stew come to mind when I think vegetarian eastern european...
    I have a Czech neighbor (chef for a living) and one of the things he does is fry cauliflower...uses some sort of egg based batter.

Have you checked out the book Kansha? It's an all vegetarian/vegan Japanese cookbook based on the Buddhist cooking tradition...
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• aussy
      • Jul 2011

Yup, I've been cooking up lots of cabbage and potato dishes, made my own sauerkraut. Looking forward to replicating my friend's mom's latkes and borscht. I'm horrible at making dumplings of any kind. I'm not quite sure why... HM, I had forgotten about cauliflower, maybe I'll make a mash or some croquettes with that next.

I haven't, but I'll look into it! Sounds interesting. Though I admit, I haven't put much effort into finding Japanese vegetarian recipes or any recipes for that matter. The usual variety of small dishes, tastes and textures around a bowl of rice meal structure makes it easy to just leave out the meat. The simple cooking techniques with constant ingredients and seasonings then makes it easy to just pick out a few ingredients and go from there rather than focus on recipes.

edit: also, eating out at a peruvian (first time) place tonight, can't decide which soup to get :(
      Parihuela, Chupe de Camarones, Aguadito de Mariscos and Sopa de Minuta
      I've been googling pics of each all day, who knew having online access to a restaurant's menu would actually lead to more indecision

Comment

• aussy
        • Jul 2011

Went for some mariscada. Table split some flan and tres leches for desert. My lactose intolerance decided to behave tonight thankfully.

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

TAKE MY MONEY
          JUST FUCKING TAKE IT
          ALL OF IT

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

I've seen chocolate skulls before...though those one's realism is a bit disconcerting...

baba ganoush, hummus, tofu-feta, roasted garlic, beets, etc...

fig jam and arugula with truffle oil on flat bread.

apple crisp

some sort of nutella mousse...wasn't vegan so I had no part in its tasting

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

it's molded from a real skull. that's exactly what makes it so awesome.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

I'm not sure I could actually manage to eat it then.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Where's that from, Ahimsa?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

^ The food is from the New World Bistro Bar in Albany. I just had spring break and my parents are from upstate so I like to hit up every vegan serving place north of the city as well ;)

If you are referring to my inability to eat the skull, it's 'cause it would creep me out to no end.

Comment

• mike
                      • Dec 2006

recently went to eleven madison park for lunch
                      glad i didnt shell out for dinner
                      what a let down
                      :S

Comment

• poon
                        • Jan 2012

I like to eat Japanese food.

Especially sushi and ramen...

Comment

• MoFiya
                          • Sep 2007

Currently enjoying holidays and experimenting around a bit.

On monday, I made some Seitan, starting from regular flour. For those who don't know: this is basically the extracted protein (gluten) from flour... It is mostly used by vegans/vegetarians. Thought I would give it a try since I am always interested in finding out about food I did never taste, yet (I am no vegetarian). Must say, I am not convinced. While the taste was okay, the texture was kind of odd. More like a thicker sponge...

Today, I made some mousse au chocolat out of Valrhona Guanaja chocolate. Based on a recipe by Hervé This, the first mousse only consisting of chocolate and water (and a pinch of salt):

However, I added a small amount of whipped cream in the second step as I felt it was lacking some kind of depth (and sweetness).
                          Result is great and, other than most mousses I know, it is not too calorie-dense / mighty (there is actually more chocolate in it than cream while it is typical to have the reverse relation!). Result
                          I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• MoFiya
                            • Sep 2007

Well I mixed the flour with water and let the dough rest over night. Then I did what you said - wash out the starch with hot/cold water interchanged. Not only 10 times though but for longer, my recipe said that the water has got to be clear and that took a loooong time.
                            Afterwards, I put it in a freezer bag with some homemade gyros seasoning and vegetable broth and cooked it for 50mins or so. Afterwards I just roasted it (not into frying at all)...

What was kind of strange to me: I read that for 1kg flour, there is around 250g seitan to be expected. I got almost 500g out of it...
                            I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• poon
                              • Jan 2012

Comment

• savant
                                • Jul 2011

Classic roast chicken with Weber BBQ set

Prep the chicken. I filled the cavity with a half lemon and some herbs (lemon thyme and sage). Also made a butter with lemon zest and pepper and separated the skin from the breast and push it inside along with a sage leaf. Coverd in oil, sea salt, pepper, and a little of my left over rub I use on my ribs.

Set up the Weber kettle for indirect cooking. Coals lit in the chimney and on to one side with drip tray on the other:

Chicken goes in along with a handful of cherry woodchips on the coals:

Then time to prep the veg. Carrots, potato, shallots and garlic. Coated with oil, a splash of balsamic, sea salt, pepper, and chopped rosemary:

On go the veg (about 15mins after the chicken):

About an hour later she's done:

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎