X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

I've read about alguronic acid (which I believe is just a trade name for some type of algae), but don't have any experience with it.

Acids in general are, for me, indispensable. While they sound truly harsh, they're often much more gentle, and far more effective than mechanical exfoliation (ie - scrubbing). Generally speaking, there are 2 - glycolic (AHA); and salicylic (BHA). Salicylic acid is generally preferred for those with oilier skin as it's oil soluble, while glycolic is preferred for dryer skins, but in practice, that's not always the case. I have oily skin, and I tend to do well with both, alternating.

Glygolic is works best at concentrations of between 8-10%, at a ph of around 3.5. Salicylic acid works best at concentrations of 1-2% at a ph of about 3.6. pH levels at lower levels will make the acids more effective at exfoliating (sometimes too much so), and at higher levels they'll eventually lose all effectiveness.

I won't get into at-home-peels because they can be dangerous, so I'm only really describing toners, moiturizers and whatnot above. Make sure the products you buy say what the pH is or you're wasting your money.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• jackg
      • Oct 2011

Prices are standardized across the world so its all priced pretty similarly country to country.

I have the nurturing shampoo and conditioner in the shower which i think is great, and works well with my curly hair. But they do have a number of different "style" shampoo and conditioner in the range now.

As for the number of products, it is a bit excessive I know and if I was paying full price (as a student) I would have nowhere near that many. In terms of daily use I use a cleanser, toner and moisturizer. Then in the shower there is shampoo/conditioner, and a body wash.

I also have an exfoliator, hand wash, hand balm, body balm, shaving lotion, facial masques, fine fabric care all of which I use regularly and then there are just some other products i don't use but they happened to handing them out at the office.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by jackg View Post
        ...but they happened to handing them out at the office.
        I judge thee not.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

basically getting free beauty procusts is a small luxury.

I'm going to be like santa for the women in my family next week, I have a big shopping bag full of products I didn't pay for, most of it good brands and/or organic.

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

I'm sampling the camellia nut moisturizer now and have a similar problem as you, dry skin in the winter but I still get breakouts. The lady at Aesop told me it shouldn't cause breakouts and so far so good. I like this better than the oil free hydrating serum which made my face feel simultaneously sticky and tight.

I also tried the sage and zinc SPF over the summer and it caused me to breakout. Not sure what ingredient was the culprit because it's advertised for all skin types including oily and it doesn't feel greasy at all.

I'm gonna try the parsley seed hydrator over the next few days before I buy, but so far camellia nut is the winner for me.

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
            what products from Aesop line do you guys recommend.
            Ive been looking for a moisturizer that is good for winter but doesnt break you out.
            music

Comment

• Tafkap
              • Oct 2006

i used aesop for years and while the smell is nice and the design of the packaging is great, it just always seemed like i wasn't getting enough out of it (specifically the skin products, but used the entire line)....
              I recommend 3Lab. It's pricier but for me, lightyears better.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                I'm sampling the camellia nut moisturizer now and have a similar problem as you, dry skin in the winter but I still get breakouts. The lady at Aesop told me it shouldn't cause breakouts and so far so good. I like this better than the oil free hydrating serum which made my face feel simultaneously sticky and tight.

I also tried the sage and zinc SPF over the summer and it caused me to breakout. Not sure what ingredient was the culprit because it's advertised for all skin types including oily and it doesn't feel greasy at all.

I'm gonna try the parsley seed hydrator over the next few days before I buy, but so far camellia nut is the winner for me.
                Yeah, I am getting off the Aesop shampoo - in the NYC winters (read, insane dry heat) I literally feel my scalp shrink after I use it. I've been using Khiel's scalp oil and it has helped a lot.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
                  • Sep 2011

I was in London for NYE, thought it was a great idea to buy some aesop stuff (I used them a lot when I was living in Japan, but Switzerland prices are just stupid).
                  How could I possibly forget that hand luggage liquid's limitation was 100ml
                  Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• lionlimb
                    • Feb 2013

I have extremely dry, dehydrated skin that is quite easily clogged up, and my skin has been playing nicely with Dr. Jart+ ceramidin moisturizers. Not the fanciest, but the most stable, functional moisturizer I've used. They do have quite a silicone feel, but they don't settle into my pores and seem to do a really nice job of healing the dehydration. They make little sample sets so you can try without springing for a big bottle. It only takes a bit, though, so you may have issues if you overapply.

I've been using it in combo with Avene thermal water and Skinceuticals b5 hyaluronic acid, so I can't speak to its efficacy without a humectant.

Also, adding AHAs into my regimen has made an enormous difference in keeping the old pores clear. Something to consider.

For acids (AHA for face and BHA for body due to KP) I like Paula's Choice brand. It's not very luxe feeling, as far as packaging, etc. goes, but functional and well researched.

Also, the packaging on all the mentioned products is rather clinical and so pretty unisex.

Oh and the linked article was helpful to me in figuring out my moisturizer needs. It's on a girly site, but the writer has worked in the luxury beauty market in Asia and is really quite knowledgeable.

^^ this is also an easy way to check how comodegenic ingredients are.

Best of luck!
                    Last edited by lionlimb; 01-16-2014, 11:16 AM.
                    not baller

Comment

• ahn
                      • Jul 2012

I am also using Paula's Choice for skincare. I like their AHAs and BHAs too, and they do a shine-free daily moisturiser with SPF in it, which is a must for me. As luxe as Aesop feels is I could not find a combination of cleanser and moisturiser to address my specific skin concerns which is combination dry/oily, prone to the occasional breakout and of course - SPF content to protect my fair skin from the harsh Australian sun.
                      some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

my small luxury just came in. vipp tp holder. the tooth-lock seams on this thing is insane. weighs a ton. built for the moon...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
                          SZ, you've ruined me.

Bought some Aesop for the first time today (toner and moisturiser), going back to buy more ASAP.

Also, the (very helpful) woman serving me remarked on my PH wallet, saying she didn't know that he made wallets, and that she had a skirt of his. So not only does SZ talk up Aesop, but I found myself in an Aesop store talking about an SZ designer. Lux-ception?
                          It's a match made in heaven! Aesop, like Mad et Len, just works with SZ in some visceral way. Non-fussy, earthy, subtle, quality, and fucking expensive.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                            my small luxury just came in. vipp tp holder. the tooth-lock seams on this thing is insane. weighs a ton. built for the moon...
                            not a bad form, but i HATE the stupid branding on it.

and vipp is a must-have for the bourgeoisie around my parts. now the company is really bending over backwards to exploit their brand to the fullest with all kinds of ridiculous (and overly branded) products.

if you really need expensive holders for your tp then d-line is better...

Comment

• casem
                              • Sep 2006

I'm done trying their facial moisturizers though. Every single one I've tried eventually makes me breakout. I'm guessing it's the the naturals oils they use to replace anything synthetic that doesn't agree with my skin.. ugh what a waste. Still love everything else though, body wash, deodorant and masques.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              It's a match made in heaven! Aesop, like Mad et Len, just works with SZ in some visceral way. Non-fussy, earthy, subtle, quality, and fucking expensive.
                              music

Comment

• LotsaColours
                                • Jan 2014

A Clarisonic brush for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎