X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by plasmoplas View Post
    fwiw, my fav. sushi place (ambience X flavor X price) is takahachi, on Ave A & 6th.
    I was just there last night. Love it as well.

Comment

• plasmoplas
      • Sep 2010

i havent been there in a while myself :) what are some of your other top-rated sushi places?

Comment

• BUMMER
        • Feb 2010

Third vote for Takahachi. A def. go-to spot. Food and ambiance has always managed to be solid. Tasty and fresh.
        Many japanese friends of mine swear by Natori. More for the authentic homestyle, non-sushi dishes though.
        I'm curious to hear some NY'ers fave non-Manhattan spots. Here's one to get it started: Buff Patty (That's really the name.) on Myrtle Ave. in Fort Greene. Sick jamaican patties and ox tail stew. I have many fave jamaican spots actually...

Comment

• Ochre
          • Sep 2009

Just saw the Charles LeDray exhibition at the Whitney and I cannot recommend it enough, especially to anyone who can see clothing as an extension of oneself or as a symbol of humanity. For those unfamiliar with him: he often works with micro-sized objects, questioning our associations of scale with value while he is intentionally skewing our perception of reality (very much in the vein of Magritte). One reoccurring theme (and predominant focus of the exhibition) is clothing which not only represents the human (always suspiciously absent from his work) but the psychological struggles within such as masculinity, power, comfort, pride, etc... The miniature clothes are reproduced in exacting detail, some only inches tall, some about 2 feet. His exploration, execution, and imagination is very inspiring and highly moving. I don't recommend many exhibitions and I tend to be very picky about the art I like — I assure this will not disappoint.

Here is the link to the website:

The exhibition runs until Feb 13th. Here are some images of the work in the exhibition:

If you can't make it to the exhibition I also recommend the accompanying catalog published by Rizzoli. I purchased it from Amazon for $29 but paged through it in the museum and it was quite impressive.

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
            • Dec 2010

Yasuda is easily the best sushi in NYC. I guess Masa is maybe the best but at $600 a pop, it's really not worth it IMO. You can get out of Yasuda at less than a bill each, and get quality that rivals Masa on most criteria.

BTW, thoughts on them moving the Whitney? It's such an iconic building, I can't believe they're doing it.

EDIT: Also, as far as burgers are concerned, I never really got the hype with Shake Shack. You wait in line for like an hour for what's a mediocre burger. Minetta and Corner Bistro are far better burgers.
            Last edited by Carpe Noctem; 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM.
            "My Roll is to Rock"
            -Jimmy Page

Comment

• thehouseofdis
              • Jan 2010

What, they're moving the Whitney!?! I think that's a terrible idea. That building works so well with their collection and has such a special feeling to it. I'm not even a big fan of the actual architecture, but I think that's a nearly perfect museum as it is.
              THE HOUSE OF DIS
              embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                • Dec 2010

Agreed on all counts. Here's an article discussing it from a while ago. Haha I actually love that whole article because of the Don Hills and blow pieces (Don Hills being a complete disaster of a project for Nur).
                "My Roll is to Rock"
                -Jimmy Page

Comment

• Ochre
                  • Sep 2009

I'm all for the Whitney move. That part of the city has enough museums to keep anyone busy for a week.

Moving the Whitney near the High Line is going to help really make that area a destination both for tourists as well as locals. Piano's proposed building also looks very beautiful.

Of course the Breuer building is equally beautiful but it isn't going anywhere. The Whitney is in talks with the Met for some sort of buy-out where the building will be used as a satellite extension of the Met for additional exhibition space.

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
                    I'm all for the Whitney move. That part of the city has enough museums to keep anyone busy for a week.

Moving the Whitney near the High Line is going to help really make that area a destination both for tourists as well as locals. Piano's proposed building also looks very beautiful.
                    I would say the high line already is a destination for a lot of tourists, but yeah I do agree that the concentration of museums in the Whitney's old spot probably isn't the best thing for NYC, relative to what it will be now.

Originally posted by Ochre View Post
                    Of course the Breuer building is equally beautiful but it isn't going anywhere. The Whitney is in talks with the Met for some sort of buy-out where the building will be used as a satellite extension of the Met for additional exhibition space.
                    Hmm, that's interesting, sounds promising.

Speaking of museums, anyone check out the Warhol Film's exhibit at MoMa?
                    "My Roll is to Rock"
                    -Jimmy Page

Comment

• Ochre
                      • Sep 2009

I passed it by.. didn't have time to catch both the On Line show and Warhol's but it seemed well executed. If you're into his video work I'm sure it'd be worth the stop.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                        • Mar 2007

IF/PH

Any idea when IF will be receiving PH's SS11 collection?
                        Will be back in nyc in feb...

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

I believe they said late Feb/early March

Comment

• swami
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                            so, whats good to eat nowadays? (besides Ippudo, Mike)

is DBGB any good?

where is the best burger right now?
                            Late pass , BUT try the Brunch/Burger at PEELS (NoHo) the grass fed beef is awesome and their Bloody Mary's are to die for.

If you are ready to stomach a basic burger & brave the chaos, I still vote for Corner Bistro's burger with the works (MePa)

ZAITZEFF'S Kobe burgers on the (LES) oh and if midtown , Burger Joint in the Le Parker Meridien Hotel

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Financial District is not LES (or did they move or opened another branch?). Honestly, I find all these quick burger joints overrated - pretty much all of the one's I've been to at least - and prefer burgers in restaurants. My go to are Blue Ribbon Bakery, Markt, and now The Redhead, where we had a fantastic meal with Lowrey.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
                                • Jul 2008

New outpost in the LES ! Been a while I have been to Blue Ribbon craving a burger now , ODEON used to be great too.

How is the food in Firenze , or do you even have time to eat?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎