Clear All
  • DRRRK
    • Aug 2009

Maybe you find different words for this:

But what we both see is the same.

Comment

• DudleyGray
      • Jul 2013

What the hell, you guys are into really experimental fashion aesthetics but somehow have basic dad rock perspectives when it comes to electronic music.
      bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• DRRRK
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
        What the hell, you guys are into really experimental fashion aesthetics but somehow have basic punk rock perspectives when it comes to electronic music's live experience.
        Now you get it. Read properly.

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

please lord lets not resurrect the EDM vs real instruments debate.

DRRRK is not ignorant, he knows his shit, he's making an observation about the live experience only. which is pretty much indisputable. thats all....

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
            What the hell, you guys are into really experimental fashion aesthetics but somehow have basic dad rock perspectives when it comes to electronic music.

some of those "really experimental fashion aesthetics" aren't very experimental. look again. it's basically jeans, a t-shirt and a leather jacket. pretty much your basic rock dad, actually.

Comment

• 550BC
              • Jan 2013

All this talk about dj's and electronic music makes me wanna go to Berghain

a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                Depeche Mode are a pop band, not an electronic solo artist. I guess upsilonkng was talking about Carl Cox, not Andy Stott, Fennesz, Perc or whoever.
                Still, with the exception of Dave Gahan the rest of the band were "pushing nobs" during concerts.

It's not even an argument - real DJs (I'm not talking about those that string songs together at parties) compose music. Even if they don't play instruments themselves on stage that does not mean that they are not musicians. Or do you want to call them composers?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DRRRK
                  • Aug 2009

Faust, please allow me quote myself: "electronic artists release some astounding records". That, for me who does not always want to split hairs, means they are great musicians or composers or whatever. They make great music! Also, keyboards and synths have not only knobs, but also KEYS, that the three of DM play, which is a huge difference to that video I posted, which is showing a SOLO artist in a live setting.

Seriously, it's embarrassing.

Edit: Thanks CJ. It's not that hard, is it?

Comment

• Shucks
                    • Aug 2010

watch and learn, kiddies.

Comment

• DRRRK
                      • Aug 2009

Good one, but where's the audience, dad?

Comment

• Shucks
                        • Aug 2010

right here. what's ur point.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                          Now you get it. Read properly.
                          Punk is dad rock in 2014 ;)

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                          some of those "really experimental fashion aesthetics" aren't very experimental. look again. it's basically jeans, a t-shirt and a leather jacket. pretty much your basic rock dad, actually.
                          Mm, true.
                          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

his point, as brilliantly illustrated by both of the videos you posted, is that the live experience, or live performance, consists mostly of one or two guys spinning records and twiddling knobs. which is hardly distinguishable from the pre-recorded experience of the same music. which, from his perspective, does not have the same feel or impact as a live performance featuring individuals or groups making music by creating sounds with their actual bodies and physical instruments held in their human hands, with all the variety and spontaneity that that entails. the performance component is different. it is a different feeling. because it is more basically human it feels more visceral. less sterile. more intimate. less mechanical. thats all....

one is not better than the other. just different. i don't even see the argument really. watching a drummer crush a drum kit feels different than watching a guy play a beat from his turntable even if it is the exact same sound.

actually one is better than the other but thats not what this is about its just my opinion lol....

shucks, i feel like you have a bad tendency to make an argument where there is none. to take offense when none is intended. too quick to judgement. just saying...

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                              his point, as brilliantly illustrated by both of the videos you posted, is that the live experience, or live performance, consists mostly of one or two guys spinning records and twiddling knobs. which is hardly distinguishable from the pre-recorded experience of the same music. which, from his perspective, does not have the same feel or impact as a live performance featuring individuals or groups making music by creating sounds with their actual bodies and physical instruments held in their human hands, with all the variety and spontaneity that that entails. the performance component is different. it is a different feeling. because it is more basically human it feels more visceral. less sterile. more intimate. less mechanical. thats all....

one is not better than the other. just different. i don't even see the argument really. watching a drummer crush a drum kit feels different than watching a guy play a beat from his turntable even if it is the exact same sound.

actually one is better than the other but thats not what this is about its just my opinion lol....

shucks, i feel like you have a bad tendency to make an argument where there is none. to take offense when none is intended. too quick to judgement. just saying...
                              u obviously don't know shit about techno. there's a judgement for u.

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

i've been accused of worse, but go ahead, educate me. what am i missing from the videos? with regard to performance only. please note, i am not saying it isn't physically challenging or that it does not require immense concentration and coordination in many cases

at what point in this video is he not spinning a record or twiddling a knob, except for when he is standing around

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                                right here. what's ur point.

i won't speak for DRRRK anymore, but for me, there is little to differentiate the live performance from the pre-recorded music. i mean stylistically, not track for track beat for beat, just the entire genre due to its inherent nature of the sound itself being 100% computer originated. the change in energy you feel at a show comes from the crowd, not the performer.

every musician working today is using technology to some degree. but, for example, watch this video of SRV (gotta represent my people and simultaneously reference another ridiculous argument i engaged in lol) and yes he too is using technology, but its so cool and entertaining to watch him physically play a guitar. you can see the music quite literally flow thru him. he is a human vessel for music. there is a soulful element that is impossible to achieve with EDM.

to me this seems obvious and irrefutable. but maybe to others it isn't. perhaps i am wrong and other people get the same experience from watching a techno artist perform. i am old i guess. and i also kind of don't give a fuck.

i went thru a long period of harsh judgments with respect to music. it was so important to be out in front, underground and cooler than cool. not necessarily in a hipster i heard it first kind of way, but rather in a need for innovation kind of way. like if its not new and different then its not creative. and its so easy to judge older music or traditional music or even pop music. at one time i thought SRV sucked because they played him on the classic rock station. if its on the radio of course it sucks, especially a mainstream dad rock station, right? but then i matured. i got older. i gained experience. i learned more about music, and its roots, and its foundations. i learned to appreciate more and judge less and it made my life easier and richer.

i think most of us spend some time in that spot. where your tastes are so refined and developed that you pretty much hate almost everything. but then one day you will break through that. you go back to where you started and it all seems new again, but better. what you once thought was boring pre-fab shit turned out to be authentic and hand made.

oh well y'all have fun...
                                Last edited by cjbreed; 05-08-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎