X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bestial
    • Jun 2008

finally yoox worked in my way.

also, first weekend in a new town, hopefully there'll be some time to explore it with some classmates. strange to live alone after three years in a relationship. but also exciting.

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

lulz
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• whitney
        • Dec 2009

i've only had one checking account since sixteen; resisted opening more then one, kept one cc active only too. earlier this year i was hired onto a bank institution and had the option of direct deposit, but only if i had their bank account of course, which i didn't, or the check would be mailed to my home. its not a big deal--i actually prefer to go in in person and deposit checks myself but lately i haven't had time and also i was made aware of the hello kitty checking account they had so...........

i decided to open one, i looked at the different options they had and one was where the checking account would be free if all deposits were made electronically by yourself either through their thousands of ATMs or through bank transfer via online--and if you withdraw only through ATMs and not utilize their tellers e.g. humans. e.g. payroll, otherwise there would be a nine dollar a month maintenance fee. makes sense since now they make ATMs with the ability to take a picture of your check and streamline it so you get your money instantly.

just got me thinking, that its basically a way of downsizing or altogether eliminating humans and relying more on machines, or methods of sale that cuts the number of bodies needed. its no surprise. companies have been doing it for ages. its why they have stacks of clothing on the floor with minimum in the back so customers can serve themselves, its why visual is so important because you don't need a sales person to sell it to you but the way its merchandised can. now you have vending machine stores..

but then i thought how long these machines are really going to last. and are they really helpful or just helpful now and a burden in the future. can kindles be recycled? books stay there, become collectibles even, and with care can last for years but kindles.......can someone enlighten me? can you break it down and reuse it for something else? is it worth it to melt and recast as something else?

and not really related to above but just genuinely curious..where did all the telephone booths go..i know there are still some in hospitals that have cell phone jammers and so forth...but what about the ones that were on street corners?
        you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• sam_tem
          • Apr 2007

can't comment on your technology points besides imagining a landfill full of phone booths in china or india somewhere, but my mind is blown that your workplace won't give you direct deposit unless it's specifically to an account they own and just supports the notion that banks have indeed joined the ranks of the true scum of the earth. i've had direct deposit with god knows how many employers for 15yrs now and not a single one of those companies would pull some clause like that out of their you-know-what.

blows my mind that people haven't tried to completely ditch all the national banks for credit unions these days. are any national banks even doing these reward checking accounts where you can get 2.5% interest?

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by whitney View Post
            but then i thought how long these machines are really going to last. and are they really helpful or just helpful now and a burden in the future. can kindles be recycled? books stay there, become collectibles even, and with care can last for years but kindles.......can someone enlighten me? can you break it down and reuse it for something else? is it worth it to melt and recast as something else?
            I'm not too tuned into this, but as I understand it, companies are getting better now, but the state of most electronics "recycling" right now is to ship it to a country where labor (and, often life) is much cheaper, and have unskilled laborers, often children break them down for the valuable parts. Plastics are rarely among the valuable parts.

Some companies, including a few I'm surprised about like dell, are working to make it much easier to responsibly recycle electronics, but it's not simple or easy to break down circuit boards or electronics in general, and there's a lot of work to be done.

One thing to be considered here is the environmental cost of shipping books though. There's a real carbon footprint to shipping a book that you do away with for every kindle version. I don't know though, it's a tricky question.
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• H-R
              • May 2007

I don't know where to put this, so I'm posting this on the randomness thread.

Patti Smith just won the National Book Award

Comment

• whitney
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post
                can't comment on your technology points besides imagining a landfill full of phone booths in china or india somewhere, but my mind is blown that your workplace won't give you direct deposit unless it's specifically to an account they own and just supports the notion that banks have indeed joined the ranks of the true scum of the earth. i've had direct deposit with god knows how many employers for 15yrs now and not a single one of those companies would pull some clause like that out of their you-know-what.

blows my mind that people haven't tried to completely ditch all the national banks for credit unions these days. are any national banks even doing these reward checking accounts where you can get 2.5% interest?
                :/ but its a bank. i guess its frowned upon if you give your business to the competitors :p

2.5% interest seems so little but i guess with checking account versus savings its not that bad--i haven't checked. i really need to start making my money work for me.

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                I'm not too tuned into this, but as I understand it, companies are getting better now, but the state of most electronics "recycling" right now is to ship it to a country where labor (and, often life) is much cheaper, and have unskilled laborers, often children break them down for the valuable parts. Plastics are rarely among the valuable parts.

Some companies, including a few I'm surprised about like dell, are working to make it much easier to responsibly recycle electronics, but it's not simple or easy to break down circuit boards or electronics in general, and there's a lot of work to be done.

One thing to be considered here is the environmental cost of shipping books though. There's a real carbon footprint to shipping a book that you do away with for every kindle version. I don't know though, it's a tricky question.
                i think that that would be awesome. electronic recycling or refurbishing vintage/old computers into something useful. i do know that some computers get passed on to those less fortunate but what happens to those piece.of.shit computers that basically are so old it can't even start proper. i am glad to know that some companies are trying but its my understanding that its not so easy to dispose of computers or most electronic gadgets as you said.

as for carbon foot-printing of a kindle versus shipment of books, i suppose that is true, considering how many books are out there. but do we really need all those celebrity self bragging/pitying/whatever books? and thats just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the amount of unnecessary books written. so many eventually ends up in the dollar bin, should tell the publishers they should be more selective when it comes to letting people become authors.
                you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
                  Saw you at Avenue last night, but left before you started spinning. Was gonna say "Hi" but you were chatting with someone. haha. Maybe 3rd times the charm.
                  Damn, you must be stalking me! I actually want to meet every NYC based poster. I think there are only a few left that I haven't met.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by H-R View Post
                    I don't know where to put this, so I'm posting this on the randomness thread.

Patti Smith just won the National Book Award

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Smiths...983.html?x=0&.
                    for what it's worth, as far as music autobiographies go, I find Keith Richards' Life a much more gripping and well-told memoir than Just Kids, and I liked Just Kids. Then again Keith probably has a whole lot more to draw from, but really the writing voice, the cadence and turns of phrase are one of a kind and unmistakable, James Fox on co-pilot regardless. It's probably the best book I've ever read in the Biography genre.
                    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• jogu
                      • Jun 2009

im havin nachos for supper tonite woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Dawn
                        Some idiot broke into my car last night. There wasn't really much to steal, but all the coins were gone. Well, not all, but he/she 'forgot' a penny. Strange thing is that I live in a really nice neighborhood.

Those are the neighborhoods that have the best cars to break into.
                        THE HOUSE OF DIS
                        embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• mononon
                          • Sep 2009

just got a visvim 22 liter backpack in a colourway that i have been lusting for in the mail that i bought from SUFU, turns out the bag is fake. i can only hope the seller is going to be honest...
                          calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• jogu
                            • Jun 2009

^ shiiiit dude that suxxxxx , good luck with that bs . i never had this happen but i read enough stories to make me cringe . hope u get ur money back i think paypal is good with refunding for fake shit ? or no

Comment

• mononon
                              • Sep 2009

thanks jogu. seller seems like a honest guy so far, and says he will refund me minus shipping once he transfer money into his pp. only complication is a fellow sz member who owed me money paid him through paypal. fucking hassle

edit: now the hunt for a new backpack continues...
                              calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

just bought a pair of new balance 576 these might be my favorite shoe ever
                                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎