X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ochre
    • Sep 2009

Ok... it's about time I made this post.

I'm currently a graphic design student in Philadelphia. Having grown up just outside the city, I was very familiar with it and also knew I could get into an excellent school here. Having said that, I am soooooo tired of Philly (I just don't fit in) and have thought of nothing else but moving to NY for the past two years or so. And thankfully, I'm graduating in May and will be free.

My plan is to move as early as June 1st (I'd move the afternoon I graduate if I could) and I'll be living with my girlfriend of 4 years. We're looking for a sub-$2000 1br in Manhattan (very flexible about location as long as it's reasonably close to subway because anywhere in Manhattan is better than Philly.)

I've shamelessly read NY-centric blogs like Curbed or NYT local for years and try and make a trip up every chance I get. Consequently, I know way more about the goings-on of NY than my own city and have a fairly good idea of what I'm getting into. But I'll gladly accept any advice the board's NYers have. As much as I know about the real estate market, I know little about the actual rental process and am still on the fence of whether or not I want to go with a broker.

Also, I have some promising job prospects (looking for entry level designer work either for a graphic, furniture, fashion (?), or arch firm). But if anyone here has recommendations of places to look or know if their own firm will have openings beginning in May/June, I would love to hear them.

Thanks all.

Comment

• laughed
      • Jul 2009

In my experience, finding a place in NYC was and is absolute HELL. HELL. HELL.
      Worst experience of my entire life for sure. One of my gfs moved to a super nice place in Soho without even being there though so who knows. I think being a girl ( a hot girl too ) gives you an advantage, but I can honestly say, good luck, I have no advice as I lived in 5 places in 4 months, out of a suitcase. and yes, that FN sucked hard. And believe me, I wasn't picky. I went and looked at over 50 places, there are just so damn many other people who want the same place you do. Good luck and goodnight!

Comment

• Ochre
        • Sep 2009

Did you use a broker?

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

What Ochre failed to mention was that I'll be holding his hand through the entire process to make sure he isn't getting screwed.

Comment

• mike
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by laughed View Post
            In my experience, finding a place in NYC was and is absolute HELL. HELL. HELL.
            Worst experience of my entire life for sure. One of my gfs moved to a super nice place in Soho without even being there though so who knows. I think being a girl ( a hot girl too ) gives you an advantage, but I can honestly say, good luck, I have no advice as I lived in 5 places in 4 months, out of a suitcase. and yes, that FN sucked hard. And believe me, I wasn't picky. I went and looked at over 50 places, there are just so damn many other people who want the same place you do. Good luck and goodnight!
            i experienced a similar situation. however, i will admit i am picky. there are a bunch of high priced shitty apartments in ny. also, if something looks amazing in pictures its only ok in person. that being said if it looks ok in pictures its probably shitty in person.

Originally posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
            To be honest, Kenmare is the only place worth going to right now in NYC. Mister H is pretty good, but it's new and the door is pretty tight.
            lol i thought kenmare was played out already

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
              What Ochre failed to mention was that I'll be holding his hand through the entire process to make sure he isn't getting screwed.
              He's in good hands, then. Still, sub 2k one-bedroom sounds challenging. Also, "anywhere in Manhattan" maybe misleading, since getting from some areas of Brooklyn to say Soho or U.Square maybe faster than from Inwood/Washington Heights. I would definitely expand into Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill - absolutely lovely areas, close to downtown Manhattan. Brooklyn Heights is as expensive as Manhattan and a bit bourgeois, but you might get a bit more space.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                • Jan 2010

I land tomorrow afternoon!

If anyone has connections to architecture/interior/retail design firms I'd love some introductions.
                THE HOUSE OF DIS
                embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Carpe Noctem
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mike View Post

lol i thought kenmare was played out already
                  I mean yeah people are getting tired of it, but there's no where else worth going in the city except like I said maybe Mister H, or Rose Bar I guess.
                  "My Roll is to Rock"
                  -Jimmy Page

Comment

• t-bone
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    He's in good hands, then. Still, sub 2k one-bedroom sounds challenging. Also, "anywhere in Manhattan" maybe misleading, since getting from some areas of Brooklyn to say Soho or U.Square maybe faster than from Inwood/Washington Heights. I would definitely expand into Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill - absolutely lovely areas, close to downtown Manhattan. Brooklyn Heights is as expensive as Manhattan and a bit bourgeois, but you might get a bit more space.
                    Another voice of reason!

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

work in the city, live in rowayton, ct.

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
                        I land tomorrow afternoon!
                        D – Now that you're a resident, you'll want to adopt this version of the state motto.
                        .....*the original is only for visitors.

sain't

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

I think the whole idea of living in Manhattan is just really old and irrelevant at this point.............New York city has five boroughs, of course Manhattan is the main one, with Brooklyn running second and queens third. I wouldn't live in the Bronx or Staten Island.
                          When money and convenience is a factor sometimes its better to live in parts of Brooklyn and Queens than Manhattan.

I used to live in Brooklyn when I just moved here and had dreams of living in Manhattan.
                          I got stuck in Queens about six years ago and now being married with a family I'm not moving as I don't like the hustle and bustle of Manhattan for children.
                          I live literally five minutes driving from JFK and can get to Manhattan within twenty to forty minutes by train or car when I need to.
                          For the price I pay for a three bedroom apartment here I would never give that up.

Now I have to move soon because I need more space and I'm not leaving queens.
                          As long as an express train is within walking distance with less than thirty minutes commute from where I live. I'm good.
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• endersgame
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                            Now I have to move soon because I need more space and I'm not leaving queens.
                            have you considered the bronx? riverdale is really nice..

i would be really uncomfortable living in manhattan today. because nobody from new york lives there anymore. everyone i grew up with moved out to westchester, ct, or the island, or cali..

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

Granted, I am a total tourist and only occasional resident, but our place in Tribeca makes me so happy we chose Manhattan over Brooklyn / Williamsburg. I can still get there in 10 mins in a cab if I want to, but I follow the concept of "when in New York, live in Manhattan" for now...
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                                Granted, I am a total tourist and only occasional resident, but our place in Tribeca makes me so happy we chose Manhattan over Brooklyn / Williamsburg. I can still get there in 10 mins in a cab if I want to, but I follow the concept of "when in New York, live in Manhattan" for now...
                                No doubt about it. But Ochre is on a pretty constrained budget.
                                One day I will give you a tour of nice parts of Crooklyn.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎