Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thehouseofdis
    • Jan 2010

I don't see anything special about these tattoos in the B&W photos. They just look like gang/prison tattoos.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• tomatous
      Banned
      • Jan 2009

103 years and newly tatooed. Nice find M :D

Comment

• AKA*NYC
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
        I don't see anything special about these tattoos in the B&W photos. They just look like gang/prison tattoos.
        that was more of a "mood board" thing i took off some page. not sure any of it is his actual work. do an image search and you'll see he has a distinct highly detailed style that is definitely rooted in mexican gangster culture. anyway here's a good one that's sort of apropos for sz.

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• 8bpc
          • May 2010

I find them interesting on other people, but never really thought it was for me. However, recently started to debate getting a small Latin phrase that struck me recently on the inside of the upper arm. Still unsure. I would have to find a decent font.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

Haha, I think I've been in Texas for too long. The Mexican gangland tattoo style with the heavy usage of clowns/clown makeup etc. is quite prevalent around here especially in San Antonio. I think taken out of a local context would make it more interesting especially that style wouldn't be common in Japan or likely NYC. If I got something like that here in Texas, it would certainly raise eyebrows or potentially cause problems with the wrong folks!

Still a huge fan of the distinct style of Yann Black. Would love to collaborate with him to create something.
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• sCrAtChy
              • Oct 2009

His Official - www.mistercartoon.com

His Blog - http://therealmrcartoon.blogspot.com/

Skilled.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                • Oct 2009

Guy doing his thing!
                Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
                "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• nictan
                  • Jul 2009

never before in my life have i contemplated getting one. but recent events in my life has made me think 'fuck it'. could be the rebel in me.

anyway, I'm thinking of getting one, in the very near future, (next few months or so). as i (will) work in the financial industry, i have to get something that isn't visible while at work. so a perfect place I'm thinking of will be on the inner of my right forearm, which will still be visible when I'm wearing short sleeves off work

thinking of getting something really simplistic, mainly lines etc. first thing that came to mind was a barcode. this was completely a self-thought idea but i did a quick search and apparently it seems overplayed and isn't exactly original. any thoughts? my barcode will read my name and date of birth.

Comment

• modalsaliency
                    • May 2010

Ground zero of Tattoos 101 is that if you're getting or not getting something because it is or isn't overplayed, you're doing it wrong.

Tattoos can be fashionable, but they're not fashion. They don't change. Opt for something that you'll always be comfortable with, even if parts of you or parts of the world, do.

Otherwise at some point you'll see some design that would be 2% more stylish at a dinner party and instantly regret the whole thing.

(And yes, a barcode is probably a terrible idea. Unless you really want to spend half your time answering the question "hey man, what's that code for?")

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

to be honest it sounds a bit gimmicky. take your time at looking pictures and taking in influences and build up your own idea from there.

its also worth considering how it'll look after 5, 15 or 40 years - applies to both the image and the placement. inner arm works fine, but keep in mind that it'll be visible if you roll up your sleeve as well.

that said, fuck the financial industry
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• nictan
                        • Jul 2009

modalsaliency: yea thats what i thought. thus i am still pretty convinced with that idea, despite finding out that it is pretty gimmicky/overplayed. honestly, the idea hit me without any external influences, and it was something i wanted to get which i felt resonated with some of the things that have happened to me as well as my thoughts. but you know, just want to get some general idea on how others look at it. having individualism is one thing, but i honestly don't want to get one that ends up getting met with "oh thats what lots of ppl are getting nowadays"

lowrey: yes i understand, especially with the hitman movie and all. just a primary idea, will try to work on that and see how it evolves, will definitely take a few months before i decide on a final design. definitely looking at lines, really like the solid lines as shown on BBS, but then again, can't help thinking that i would otherwise be 'copying' his idea.

hahah and yea, i'll be sure not to roll up my sleeves in office, maybe lunchtime with colleagues will be fine, but not with my boss or anything.

Comment

• aussy
                          • Jul 2011

Anyone know of a tattoo artist from Spain, does more artsy work, I remember a yellow owl chest piece, has a myspace
                          Sorry, that's not much to go by, I'll try to find a pic I saved somewhere

Comment

• nictan
                            • Jul 2009

im unfamiliar with the ethics in this regard. but is it 'insulting' to an artist if i bring an extremely simple design to a really good artist?

will they feel insulted if i turn up and wanted a specific design of my own that is extremely simple (basic straight lines etc)?

I've been trying to find some good artists and their portfolio are often filled with really elaborate tattoos, and most are by appointment only with the website advertising custom designs and artwork.

reason why i want to find a really good artist is that it'll be my first, so i really want it to be perfect and i wouldn't mind forking out more.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

I have been having the same 'problem'. I think in general good artists will want to feel like the work they do is consistent and will make a great portfolio and I have seen resistance to making really simple things (which I like), when really they would love to do a raw sailor tat. But it's just down to sweet-talking them sometimes. Or just find someone who is awesome at making exactly what you want. I find that you gain more by collaborating with your artist rather than just coming with an A4 printout. After all, they are the pros.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                                I have been having the same 'problem'. I think in general good artists will want to feel like the work they do is consistent and will make a great portfolio and I have seen resistance to making really simple things (which I like), when really they would love to do a raw sailor tat. But it's just down to sweet-talking them sometimes. Or just find someone who is awesome at making exactly what you want. I find that you gain more by collaborating with your artist rather than just coming with an A4 printout. After all, they are the pros.
                                Thats it actually. They are ARTISTS
                                and to most of them its about creating something together with the client!
                                To me thats part of the whole experience!
                                "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎