Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • munch
    • Aug 2008

yeah! I just spoke to a guy about the Sigma E mount lenses, and now looking up reviews. really impressive! I might even save up for a NEX-7 if it's worth it. seems like you get a bit more with that cutie. ughhhhh I hate myself sometimes for making things so complicated. thanks a tonnes!

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by munch View Post
      yeah! I just spoke to a guy about the Sigma E mount lenses, and now looking up reviews. really impressive! I might even save up for a NEX-7 if it's worth it. seems like you get a bit more with that cutie. ughhhhh I hate myself sometimes for making things so complicated. thanks a tonnes!
      I'm the same way...I started with a simple $400 camera (with lens!) and now have approximately $4000 worth of equipment (and that's only a body and 3 lenses...sigh). Pricey game photography is...best to do more research than not enough.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• munch
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        I'm the same way...I started with a simple $400 camera (with lens!) and now have approximately $4000 worth of equipment (and that's only a body and 3 lenses...sigh). Pricey game photography is...best to do more research than not enough.
        yeah. well... while it's easy to understand the people who say camera comes 2nd, (or 3rd) and that being a good photographer is more important... also the folks who say that you should spend more on lens than on the body if you're getting new stuff....
        I still hate buying stuff knowing that I could've gotten something better for not a lot more. I'm really hoping this purchase will last me many years from now. there's nothing worse (well yes there is) than becoming disappointed with a purchase after first thinking it's going to work out great... lenses you can just collect, whereas a body is a thing you have to replace - and maybe not even with one by the same company. different mounts etc... dunno. I just agree with doing a lot of research!

oh and btw!! I read that Sony are doing some sort of new releases in a month or so, maybe new lenses?
        I'm kind of still trying to find something a bit faster than the Sigma 30/2.8 for low light shooting - I guess the 50/1.8 wouldn't be too bad for that? but it's not quite as wide as I would like it...

</semi-rant>
        thanks

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

yeah. well... while it's easy to understand the people who say camera comes 2nd, (or 3rd) and that being a good photographer is more important... also the folks who say that you should spend more on lens than on the body if you're getting new stuff....
          I still hate buying stuff knowing that I could've gotten something better for not a lot more. I'm really hoping this purchase will last me many years from now. there's nothing worse (well yes there is) than becoming disappointed with a purchase after first thinking it's going to work out great... lenses you can just collect, whereas a body is a thing you have to replace - and maybe not even with one by the same company. different mounts etc... dunno. I just agree with doing a lot of research!

oh and btw!! I read that Sony are doing some sort of new releases in a month or so, maybe new lenses?
          I'm kind of still trying to find something a bit faster than the Sigma 30/2.8 for low light shooting - I guess the 50/1.8 wouldn't be too bad for that? but it's not quite as wide as I would like it...

</semi-rant>
          thanks
          The Canon couldn't last me because of the lack of viewfinder (can one be added to the hotshoe?). Ditto for the Nex's, save for the 7, but if I'm spending $1300 for the body-only, I would go Olympus E-M5 ($1000).
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• munch
            • Aug 2008

I can see that - but the NEX-7 has a built in EVF and I'd have to get one separate for the 5N right? so that should be np. I think I will avoid reading about bodies for a while so I don't change my mind again... lens time!!

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

I can see that - but the NEX-7 has a built in EVF and I'd have to get one separate for the 5N right? so that should be np. I think I will avoid reading about bodies for a while so I don't change my mind again... lens time!!
              The add-on viewfinder for the 5 is only good for the 16mm lens...because it's optical and not electronic.

I have a 12-35mm f2.8 zoom ($$$), a 45-175mm f3.5-5.6 ($) and a 25mm 1.4 prime ($$). In 35mm language, that gives me from 24-350mm, which I find sufficient (although I'd like a macro lens). Those 3 cost me in/around $2000 (plus tax).

Honestly though, I could easily live with just the 25mm (50mm equivalent). They say that 50mm is close to what the human eye sees, so it makes sense why it's so popular/practical. It's nice to have a zoom and wide sometimes though.

Comment

• munch
                • Aug 2008

aaah! that I didn't even think of. my research is not going very well it seems.

24/1.8 Zeiss for Sony E mount seems really good, so far! Steve Huff seems to be using it and some of the pics he takes with it seem great. also looking at Flickr, searching Zeiss 24/1.8 which gives some nice results.
                definitely looking for something wide angle, so this seems pretty good. however the price is a bit steep so most likely won't be my first lens but it's good to know a lens like that one exists for the Sony NEX mount...
                yeah. cool. all good I guess. no more changing my mind. hugs!

Comment

• fncyths
                  • Apr 2010

Go Zeiss all the way! It's the only glass I shoot with
                  Originally posted by Shucks
                  it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                  Originally posted by interest1
                  I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• widmerpool
                    • Nov 2010

The viewfinder for the Nex5 is the same EVF as is built in in the 7, where did you get the idea that it was optical.

The Sigma 19 mm and 30 mm for the NEX are very good, especially the 30 mm, and dirt cheap. The 55-200 is supposed to be very good as well, but I don't use zooms or ever shoot that long. The 16 mm is pretty poor wide open, but stopped down to f8-11, which is where you're going to shoot a 16 mm most of the time anyway, it is actually quite decent.

A new compact high-quality zoom is supposed to be released with the 5n replacement in September, and a wide-angle zoom and 'large aperture standard' - presumably a 35 1.8 are also coming this year.

So the 'no lenses for NEX' thing is a bit overblown. Not to mention the APS sensor makes it better for adapting other lenses compared to m43.

The NEX5 replacement is due in the next couple of months, though, so I would wait or try to get a good discount if you go for a 5n.

I guess that Canon calling it's mirrorless system EOS and going for EF compatability shows they also believe the mirrorless takeover from APS SLRs is coming. I could see them in 5 years or so having only EOS-M and FF SLRs. I doubt we will see an enthusiast-oriented EOS-M until SLR sales actually start to fall.
                    http://asteroidanxiety.bandcamp.com

Comment

• munch
                      • Aug 2008

ahh right. so I wasn't wrong then. hmm. september.. well that is okay. 35/1.8 sounds like it would be really nice. that's to look forward to I suppose!
                      not a fan of zooming either, but good that they release something high quality in case I change my mind.

maybe the 5N replacement will be the camera for me then... HMM! I am at least decided on NEX. any idea if they will announce it before they release it? sounds reasonable?

so NEX-something + 30/2.8 as first setup, sounds good. unless the 35/1.8 is around the same price.

thanks!!

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

My bad, I looked on Sony's site and only saw the optical vf. If there's an electronic model, I'd definitely go for a Nex Munch.

Comment

• Dropt
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                          I've noticed that the more time people spend on researching, tinkering with, acquiring and perfecting their gear, the less they spend on actually going out and making pictures. The best/most serious photographers i've seen get what they need to do what they do, and keep the fuss to a minimum. It is about the pictures, not the camera.

Yeah, we all heard about your lack of knowledge in the technical domain. Does that make you a good/better photographer ? Doubt it.

Your first point is a joke, or maybe you're surrounded by lazy amateurs, who knows.

Comment

• munch
                            • Aug 2008

while that is a bit harsh, I at least have the time researching since I don't have a camera nor a budget/the time for one until late August... :P so all is well here.
                            the NEX-7 has the built in EVF which is I think is a big plus. seems less annoying than having a separate one.

thanks

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Dropt View Post
                              Yeah, we all heard about your lack of knowledge in the technical domain. Does that make you a good/better photographer ? Doubt it.

Your first point is a joke, or maybe you're surrounded by lazy amateurs, who knows.
                              What is your beef exactly? Opinions - people are allowed to express them.

If you're going to make insults, at least make it witty/entertaining for the rest of us.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

Dropt - let's see your pictures
                                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢