X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

Vieux réac!
    No but seriously, I agree with you obviously. My point was more about the highjacking of good thinkers by those unable to understand them, since they are incapable of personal thinking

Comment

• menofoutsiders
      • Apr 2013

my first contribution to this forum, I find the quote being realistic.

—You’re very poetic.
      —No, just sad.

― José Saramago, from Blindness

here's another one I found interesting

You get older, gain knowledge and experience, but inside you don’t grow as a person one little bit. Take away the outer appearance and the superficial knowledge and what’s left is no better than a child.

Hiroyuki Kano of Ōmu Shinrikyō

from Haruki Murakami’s Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche

The quote put me into deep thinking, questioning about my own identity which I later found an answer this way: Our character/identity (or whatever you might call) are artificial, supposing that we were born with absolute nothingness. Our character is always the reflection of one another. The image we take are usually deformed from the original since we're influenced by many sources. These deformation creates variety in each person's character.

What do you guys think?
      Last edited by menofoutsiders; 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM. Reason: change in content

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I did not know Nobel prize winners dabble in cliches :(
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MJRH
          • Nov 2006

the nobel prize sometimes is a cliche

menofoutsiders, if murakami's quotation is true, then the observation it's making is itself either "superficial knowledge" or "no better than a child," no? or is the reader expected to accept the quotation at face value as some all-encompassing platonic truth existing outside of the critique he's making of life and epistemology?

actually on this tack can anybody here sell me on murakami? everything i read on or by the fellow leaves me cold, so what am i missing? what's the attraction?
          ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I've asked the same question many a time, mjrh.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• profondo nero
              • Aug 2012

“Art is not a sufficient substitute for the problem of leading a moral life.
              I am afraid of wearing a cloak that is too big for me.” —Czeslaw Milosz

Comment

• Peasant
                • Jul 2009

"The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers." ~Erich Fromm

Comment

• trentk
                  • Oct 2010

philosopher vs boxer:
                  "At a party [in fall 1987] held by fashion designer Fernando Sanchez, [AJ] Ayer, then 77, confronted Mike Tyson who was forcing himself upon the (then) little-known model Naomi Campbell. When Ayer demanded that Tyson stop, the boxer said: "Do you know who the fuck I am? I'm the heavyweight champion of the world," to which Ayer replied: "And I am the former Wykeham Professor of Logic. We are both pre-eminent in our field. I suggest that we talk about this like rational men". Ayer and Tyson then began to talk, while Naomi Campbell slipped out."
                  "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• profondo nero
                    • Aug 2012

Comment

• jackg
                      • Oct 2011

“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”

― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

• Peasant
                        • Jul 2009

I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes.
                        Hunter S. Thompson

Flew into NY a few days ago. Homies took me out. Made me think of this.

Comment

• Peasant
                          • Jul 2009

"If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose."

-bukowski

Comment

• qazwsx
                            • Feb 2012

“In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.” - Buddha
                            "Things you own, end up owning you." --- Tyler Durden [FightClub 1999]

Comment

• returningson
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
                              I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes.
                              Hunter S. Thompson

Flew into NY a few days ago. Homies took me out. Made me think of this.
                              virtually every line in Fear and Loathing is quotable...

Comment

• Peasant
                                • Jul 2009

The sad truth is that man's real life consists of a complex of inexorable opposites - day and night, birth and death, happiness and misery, good and evil. We are not even sure that one will prevail against the other, that good will overcome evil, or joy defeat pain. Life is a battleground. It always has been and always will be; and if it were not so, existence would come to an end.- C. G. Jung

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎