Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klangspiel
    • Apr 2007

hightime to revisit some ksr. heaviest dopest shit ever.

video is kinetically in sync.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
      • Nov 2008

Oh, fuck yes. Good call, good call.

Originally posted by klangspiel View Post
      hightime to revisit some ksr. heaviest dopest shit ever.

video is kinetically in sync.

Comment

• Staton Viguier
        • Jan 2008

np

Asmus Tietchens + Okko Bekker - Stockholmer Totentanz
        Evan Parker & Lawrence Casserly - Solar Wind

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
          • Nov 2008

i'll see both yr ksr and tumor circus and raise you some steel pole bathtub. this is for you, q:

and yeah, swine flu - very apropos for how i'm feeling right now, with a 100 degree fever.

and my favorite - apparently used for a video game (???)

Comment

• Staton Viguier
            • Jan 2008

can't forget borstal, the definitive steel pole jam

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
              • Nov 2008

really? that's hysterical. what other games has their music been snuck onto?
              been after some live footage of spbt...never got a chance to see em back in the day. any leads?

Originally posted by merz
              bit of trivia on that one.

mike morasky, one of bathtub's founders, is now a game developer working for valve software.. hence the occasional (and sometimes prominent) use of the music in their titles..

but yeah, it was pretty surreal to hear the stuff in a zombie game advert.

np: kilslug - necktie party
              heaven only knows why.
              Last edited by hamletpowpowpow; 01-10-2010, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• DRRRK
                • Aug 2009

Actually our attitude is more similar than you think.
                The way I find new music is just different from the way people find the XX (just a fitting example). The music I listen to is not out there, just not the mainstream alternative dominating the end-of-the-year-polls. Try playing Neil Young records to people listening to Vampire Weekend, the XX, MGMT etc. For you (and me) Neil Young is easy to like. I played a Bob Dylan record to some friends who are into each and every band recommended by the NME and they wanted me to play something different after one and a half songs of the Bob Dylan Album.

Portishead are not mainstream for me, soundwise they are rather unique and umcompromising, which is the opposite of mainstream for me. I don't close myself off to more popular music, more than often I try to like the bands everybody is talking about, but most of the time popular also means that the music is streamlined for mass consumption and when I get that impression it's over.

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
                Yeah, I dunno about this. That comment sounds pretty "indie rock" to me. Full disclosure - I have absolutely no interest in the XX. When I was 17, I was all about being "indie" or "hardcore" - and didn't want my music to be "easy"...but eventually, when I pulled my head out of my ass, I realized there was a lot of brilliant music out there that I was ignoring. John Fahey is easy to listen to, Neil Young is pretty easy to listen to, Townes Van Zandt is pretty easy to listen to. Does that make them any less valid than a band like whitehouse? And two very mainstream acts put out two of my favorite records last year...portishead and fever ray. just cus I listen to tape-hiss filled black metal doesn't mean I can't enjoy the mainstream either.

I'll agree that some of my favorite records were things I initially hated at first listen. but i dunno man, yr closing yrself off. I'm not saying your missing the heavenly glory of the XX, but I'm sure there's some music out there waiting to blow yr mind.

now pardon me, i'm gonna continue being sick in bed with a fever and let my man bruce do the talking for me.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

have you seen your mother, baby, standing in the shadow? on repeat...
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Magician
                    • Jul 2008

I went through pretty stereotypical music geek phases - cheesy alternative rock - pop punk - hardcore punk - indie/hipster shit - doom metal - experimental - where I am today which is basically the last 4 combined.

In almot every stage I excoriated the previous one (rightly so with most pop punk and "alternative rock" and even a lot of flavor-of-the-month indie) but in retrospect this was silly as hell and a lot of indie rock does indeed "rock." I love Blut aus Nord's last record but I have no problem playing it alongside the excellent Department of Eagles album (a Grizzly Bear side project)

Yeah the urban outfitters fixed gear pricks are annoying as hell but them liking an album is not good enough reason for me not too.

(and btw I do think Vampire Weekend sucks and XX is pretty boring)
                    Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• doldrums
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Magician View Post
                      ...Yeah the urban outfitters fixed gear pricks are annoying as hell...
                      ouch...

Comment

• Magician
                        • Jul 2008

I mean im a vegetarian/cyclist blah blah blah myself but you know the type I refer to...

Basically Hamlet stated my point a lot more eloquently.
                        Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                          • Nov 2007

Yeah the urban outfitters fixed gear pricks are annoying as hell but them liking an album is not good enough reason for me not too.
                          no need to apologize or mince words. the vegan fixed gear thing is the lamest, most woefully "american" urban trend ever. give it some thought and its adherents are no different than those of wwf wrestling, insane clown posse, etc. lowest common denominator. the bikes can be pretty cool though i admit.
                          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• DRRRK
                            • Aug 2009

I mean im a vegetarian/cyclist blah blah blah myself but you know the type I refer to...

Basically Hamlet stated my point a lot more eloquently.
                            I know the type. The people are not the problem for me. The music is as I tried to make clear before. Urban Outfitters does not stock these albums without a reason. The albums they sell correspond to the clothes.

Comment

• doldrums
                              • Dec 2008

^I spend too much time building bikes and riding them so I guess I am entrenched (woefully maybe) in this american culture

that said, spent some time recently in London and Paris and the culture thrives and maybe more vibrant there...

Comment

• Enaml
                                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by merz
                                now what gets at me is how people are holding in high regard something bereft of quality and integrity. something that doesn't lend itself to emotional attachment on merits of the music alone. it feels at times like some pre-requisite to something, a fashion accessory. an afterthought.
                                Though I think this is a pretty dangerous thing to say, it likely applies to most stuff hyped, regardless of longevity, as well as the majority of people hyping it.
                                How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎