Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dream
    • Nov 2007

so, after 20 years of running I got plantar fasciitis. I already went to a physical therapist who has me doing some stretches, ice, etc.

wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, what you did to get rid of it and how long did you have it for? thanks!

Comment

• zen dog
      • Jan 2014

Well, dream, I have that problem too, although things have been good for months. Here is the deal the way I understand it from physical therapists, speciality shoe stores and a wife who was a dancer and taught dance:

First, address the problem.(Sounds like your doing that.) Putting up with the pain won't be doing yourself any favors. Bone spurs can develop leading to an operation to alleviate the problem.

Get decent or GOOD inserts for every shoe. People with severe plantar faciitis can't get out of bed without some kind of foot support. After hearing that I'm thankful mine is much less severe. Stretching is good as is rolling from heel to ball of foot a frozen small water bottle. I would to it when eating breakfast and dinner.

Consistency is the key and a month should do with stretching as future maintenance. I would do toe raises standing in line somewhere because I'm not good about following up when not in pain or toss in a few sets at the gym once in a while- anything not to feel like a slave to therapy.

Comment

• dream
        • Nov 2007

zen dog,

thanks for the tips. most of what you say i've been doing. ice bottle, stretches, deep tissue massage. i also do the stretches in bed before I start walking in the morning which is key.

my case isn't as severe as others (knock on wood). and I can still run. just hurts when I do. hopefully it will be gone soon. thanks.

Comment

• zen dog
          • Jan 2014

Sure, dream. Those pre getting out of bed stretches are important. That reminded me that when I was in so much pain I entertained buying these socks that had the toes pointing back with tips extending and tied to the calf to maintain a stretch. (Don't get excited Interest 1- nothing good about those things .)

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

chandler, i did not count calories, but i'm sure it exceeded 3000 calories/day.

eat-me, i do even sets, but i just have to rest after the first set. but i always do the entire thing. so 12-12-12-12 even as i struggle to finish the last two sets.

i'm 190cm, 78kg

when i was trying to gain weight, usual daily food was like this:

breakfast- 6 egg white omlette with greens. toast. 2 cups of coffee.

early lunch, late lunch- (each lunch portion is like a double portion)

grain carb like rice or bulgar, lean protein like chicken breast or beef, sweet potato, raw greens.

pre-workout meal
            small protein and greens

after-workout meal
            1,000+ calorie weight gain smoothie

snacks in-between were dried fruits and nuts, fresh fruit, rtd protein shakes, protein bars.

cheated meals once a week with whatever i wanted. drank just water and coffee.

i did this for maybe 3 months and gained a few lbs. the thing is, the more i ate, the more i wanted to work it off. i was also producing enough gas to power bartertown.

Comment

• kamsky
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by dream View Post
              zen dog,

thanks for the tips. most of what you say i've been doing. ice bottle, stretches, deep tissue massage. i also do the stretches in bed before I start walking in the morning which is key.

my case isn't as severe as others (knock on wood). and I can still run. just hurts when I do. hopefully it will be gone soon. thanks.
              If you have stairs or a sturdy box in your home, along with a backpack, timely relief for plantar fasciitis may be possible.

Had the same thing happen to me a few months back after over 10+ years of running; think mine had to do with not wearing proper shoes while at work (on my feet the better part of 8-9 hours a day).

In my case icing and stretching helped alleviate the pain whilst I was doing so (i.e. icing, stretching) but did not do much otherwise; ended up taking a little over two months off (hope you don't have to do this), and doing toe raises after every other run or so. The above article helped a good bit.

Comment

• dream
                • Nov 2007

kamsky,

thanks for the link. i'll check it.

that's what's so frustrating about PF. some get it from being on their feet too long, others get it from inactivity. i went from a job where I was on my feet all day to going to school where I was sitting down all day. and that's when I got it. the physical therapist thinks it was my inactivity that caused it. then again, could be shoes, diet. with all those bones, ligaments, tendons, it could be anything.

Comment

• t-bone
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                  chandler, i did not count calories, but i'm sure it exceeded 3000 calories/day.

eat-me, i do even sets, but i just have to rest after the first set. but i always do the entire thing. so 12-12-12-12 even as i struggle to finish the last two sets.

i'm 190cm, 78kg

when i was trying to gain weight, usual daily food was like this:

breakfast- 6 egg white omlette with greens. toast. 2 cups of coffee.

early lunch, late lunch- (each lunch portion is like a double portion)

grain carb like rice or bulgar, lean protein like chicken breast or beef, sweet potato, raw greens.

pre-workout meal
                  small protein and greens

after-workout meal
                  1,000+ calorie weight gain smoothie

snacks in-between were dried fruits and nuts, fresh fruit, rtd protein shakes, protein bars.

cheated meals once a week with whatever i wanted. drank just water and coffee.

i did this for maybe 3 months and gained a few lbs. the thing is, the more i ate, the more i wanted to work it off. i was also producing enough gas to power bartertown.
                  Dude, eat fat. This is not 1980 and you are not Jane Fonda. Eat whole eggs, add butter to your toast, add cream to your coffee, add olive oil to all your meals. Eat coconut oil, avocados, and peanut/almond butter, add them to your smoothies.

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

i know, you said it before. i do eat fatty foods now, makes no difference.

every morning, i have my whole eggs bacon and cheddar on brioche. i have several coffees a day with half/half. i eat a lot of animal fat in my foods, steaks, chicken with skin on, etc. i add peanut butter to my smoothies. snack on half-pound cookies. still eating 4-5 meals a day. still the same weight.

Comment

• eat me
                      • May 2009

endersgame, sounds like you have amazing metabolism. Tough to gain weight perhaps, but at least you're not immediately storing everything you eat as fat.

From what you've described it looks like you do eat quite a lot, but I'm afraid the only way to put more weight on without getting fat would be to eat even more, simple math + biology. Or you can stop gym, and eat the same - you'll bulk in a short while, although that bulk will be no good.

190 cm and 78 kg is not bad, is there a particular performance/health/aesthetic reason you're going for an increase? Apart from getting enough strength to do 20 pull-ups.

Do you know your body fat %?

Comment

• eat me
                        • May 2009

also, this is a great link (for everyone), check it out for a one-page all-you-need-to-know: http://simplesciencefitness.com

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by eat me View Post
                          Do you know your body fat %?
                          I have access to a body analyzer. This data was from two months ago.

Weight: 170.2 lbs
                          Skeletal Muscle Mass: 87.1 lbs (not enough muscle)
                          Body Fat Mass: 16.3 lbs
                          Viceral Fat level: 2 (under 10 is supposed to be good)
                          BMI: 22 (want this higher)
                          Percent body fat: 9.6%
                          ECW/TBW: 0.376 (i don't know this one, something to do with body water)
                          BMR: 1,877 cal. (what i need to maintain myself)

I also have data on each of my limbs, heh..

Comment

• chandler
                            • Jan 2011

I would still suggest getting a calorie counter app

For example your healthy 6 egg white omelet and toast breakfast is only about 300 calories. (Assuming two slices). Healthy but really way too low for breakfast after a night of fasting/sleeping

I also think your post workout shake is way too high. I can't even imagine how you get it that high and I'd guess it's the source of your gas. Protein powders can do that. I'd urge as much whole food as possible and as t-bone was saying there's a lot of healthy ways to jack up calories

All else fails resort to pop tarts. 400 cal for two and who can't easily squeeze two pop tarts into their life

And for what it's worth there seems to be some tension between adding mass and trying to increase pull ups. To begin with I know a lot of strong guys who can't do 10. It's one of those strange humbling exercises and having under 10% bf is great and you should feel great about thAt

Honestly if you're trying to add mass and strength I'd forget about pull-up numbers and eat as t bone suggests. After 2 weeks of calorie counting you'll probably be able to stop as you'll have a much better innate sense of your calories.

Comment

• Law
                              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                              I have access to a body analyzer. This data was from two months ago.

Weight: 170.2 lbs
                              Skeletal Muscle Mass: 87.1 lbs (not enough muscle)
                              Body Fat Mass: 16.3 lbs
                              Viceral Fat level: 2 (under 10 is supposed to be good)
                              BMI: 22 (want this higher)
                              Percent body fat: 9.6%
                              ECW/TBW: 0.376 (i don't know this one, something to do with body water)
                              BMR: 1,877 cal. (what i need to maintain myself)

I also have data on each of my limbs, heh..
                              You can probably add between 3-4% on to your body fat %.
                              Those machines are wildly inaccurate and the reading vary greatly depending on numerous variables. I was told I was at an even 6% body fat, when in actuality I'm probably closer to 10% currently.

Best to measure the cheap old fashioned way, with calipers.

Comment

• endersgame
                                • Aug 2009

just want to reiterate i've been consuming the foods tbone suggested for the last 4 months with no results in weight gain. i was eating two steak burritos for dinner last night which was almost 4 lbs of food with appetite for another a few hours later.

i dunno, at this point, i'd probably consult with a clinical nutritionist about my weight.

the machine that took my vitals looked like a digital scale with handles you hold on to. it tells you all these crazy things like your intra and extracelluar water levels, impedance (like speakers?), and other fun facts.. i can't vouch for the accuracy but it was done in a sports training facility where you're on respirators riding bikes stationary.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎