X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cowsareforeating
    • Jan 2011

Unfortunately it's running vert.

I've been doing max box jumps in the 4-6 rep range already for the past month. Ill try out hang power cleans and maybe squats with resistance bands?

It's hard to find good advice on that given the amount of garbage on the Internet... Thanks

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
    cowsareforeating,

Everyone should start with the bar and work up, every time. If Ilya Ilin starts with the bar, you should too. He's plenty strong, last I checked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIi0Ysp9UlU

For vertical leap, the three things that jump out, for me, are:

Hang Power Cleans are fairly simple, and great for training hip explosion, which will help.

Also, jumping helps jumping. Do small sets of max height box jumps.

Finally, there are some good workouts for jump/explosive capability that use heavy resistance bands. I imagine they would help.

Is 30" standing, or with a running start? That's quite good.

Comment

• Icarium
      • Oct 2010

Been doing Crossfit for about 8-9 months now. I really like it and I hate working out or really any sort of physical exertion that causes sweating/strain. Weighed 290 ~4 years ago and am about 175-180 at 5'8 so still have some work to do.

What I like about is that I see steady progress in pretty much everything, they offer scaling options for everything and at least at my gym/trainers there's no pressure to push myself except the very occasional call out to keep me honest (like 3-4x in my entire xfit career). The variety is also a plus as it keeps it interesting and gives me a lot of things to monitor progress on.

Also no injuries besides the occasional calf cramp (I don't let my heel touch the ground when I run which means very tight calves.. my own bad really and a habit I'm working on).

Couldn't touch my toes before, hadn't ever done a pullup, ring dip, kick up into a handstand, or any of the lifts. I still have a number of goals to hit... being able to do a hand stand pushup, power clean my body weight, a muscle up, being able to do a pistol (1 legged squat) and a variety of other things. But these are micro goals to keep me motivated :) Certainly nothing seems out of reach and that all will come with time + continued dedication which is pretty motivating for me.

Definitely in the best shape I've ever been and while its very hard I find it to be very sustainable. Haven't done the paleo thing and don't seriously plan on trying it. A big part of why I do bother with this is so I can eat whatever I want. I'd have to be pretty committed to physical appearance to change my diet. May happen one day!

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
        Ill try out hang power cleans and maybe squats with resistance bands?
        Another one I have seen people use rather extensively is the banded broad jump. It's, nominally, more helpful for improving the horizontal leap than vertical, but I imagine there's carryover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=T8m8lBty6QI

Banded squats seem like they could be helpful, but I was thinking of banded explosive movements in general, but don't know enough to point you towards many specific exercises.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• lionlimb
          • Feb 2013

update:
          Found out I have Addison's disease, which makes me prone to going into shock and dying if my body gets pushed too hard. So that's fun.

But I finally found a decent yoga studio! I'll buy a certain number of "sessions", and I can use them for any class, any time, without risk of expiration.

Hatha and Tai Chi populated entirely by elderly women? OH YEAH BABY, HERE I COME.
          not baller

Comment

• MoFiya
            • Sep 2007

Anybody listening to the Bulletproof Exec podcast?
            I usually find it pretty interesting but today I literally started laughing out loud when he recommended taking a 1000kcal out of butter / MCT oil in your morning coffee. This is gold
            I have dreams of orca whales and owls
            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

FWIW, I actually found Mr. Asprey's variant of intermittent fasting (i.e. intermittent fasting + that coffee in the morning) highly effective when I wanted to drop weight without losing strength/conditioning. But, I admit I did 2 Tbsp MCT/2-3 Tbsp butter, not 4-5 and 4-5.

The problem is that it's fucking disgusting. All the acidity, bitterness, and lovely scents of good black coffee are gone, and it's just a kind of bland, oily, mug of gross.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• t-bone
                • Dec 2009

I do the bulletproof coffee 2-3 days a week, but only 1Tbsp of each (and a splash of pastured cream to help emulsify everything) and it makes me feel great and helps if I'm doing an IF day. This kind of thing has been done forever. Sadly everything else I've ever heard Dave Asprey talk about is total fucking bullshit. Guy is a quack.

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

sain't

Comment

• MoFiya
                    • Sep 2007

Tried it today as well and yes, it tastes awesome. Used coconut oil instead of MCT oil though which added the flavour. Cannot say anything about feeling extraordinary focused though.

Heard in a podcast that it should lead to Glucagon signalling the body: yes, I do have enough energy, use fat etc and in that way it prevents (during fasting periods) the body cannibalizing it's own (i.e. muscles instead of fat). Does that make any sense?

@t-bone - emulsified fine for me without cream (which, nitpicking, is adding protein and thus might lead to a possible insulin response).

Gosh, I realize how weird this stuff sounds.
                    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• jackg
                      • Oct 2011

Is anyone else into trail running?? I did my first road marathon a couple of weeks ago, and have moved all of my training onto trails and have been really loving.

Comment

• cjbreed
                        • Feb 2009

ok everybody. this is serious business. i need to drop about 15lbs in 2 months. how do i do it? i have never been on a "diet" or tried to lose weight.

i was thinking of trying that intermittent fasting with the bulletproof coffee thing + running. but i am relatively clueless on these matters. can i get some suggestions please???
                        Last edited by cjbreed; 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM.
                        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• interest1
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post

ok everybody. this serious business. i need to drop about 15lbs in 2 months. how do i do it? i have never been on a "diet" or tried to lose weight.

i was thinking of trying that intermittent fasting with the bulletproof coffee thing + running. but i am relatively clueless on these matters. can i get some suggestions please???

Nah, don't go to all that trouble. Just hit up several_girls.

I hear he's got a quickie Pyrex recipe that'll do the trick lickety-split.
                          sain't

Comment

• curiouscharles
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jackg View Post
                            Is anyone else into trail running?? I did my first road marathon a couple of weeks ago, and have moved all of my training onto trails and have been really loving.
                            this.

i used to trail run all the time, when living on vancouver island.

now, it's the only way i'll let myself run (outside of a treadmill), as anything else just makes me worry about my knees.

the variety of terrain, pleasantly distracting scenery, and natural cushion only a trail-bred can provide - combine for the absolute best running experience.

-

Comment

• cjbreed
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                              Nah, don't go to all that trouble. Just hit up several_girls.

I hear he's got a quickie Pyrex recipe that'll do the trick lickety-split.
                              oh yes, i've tried that diet before. definitely works but this time i'd prefer to avoid jail and keep all my money.

let's be more realistic. how about 10 lbs. i need to lose 10 lbs y'all

if we can make this work i promise i'll post a selfie in the lingerie thread. to celebrate my new body.
                              Last edited by cjbreed; 06-19-2013, 02:02 PM.
                              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• eat me
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                                let's be more realistic. how about 10 lbs. i need to lose 10 lbs y'all

if we can make this work i promise i'll post a selfie in the lingerie thread. to celebrate my new body.
                                I assume you're a girl? I know a sure way for a guy (lost more myself), but it would work for a girl too. I also assume you have at least a bit of fitness/gym experience, as otherwise it might be very tough.

The whole thing for me consisted just of three steps, but I'm going to be honest and warn you - it's not going to be easy at all.

1. good breakfast. Eggs, or oats, or meat and veg - think of it less as a breakfast, more like the first meal of the day, doesn't have to be toast or cereal or any other breakfasty things. This will give you an energy boost and start your body working. If you skip breakfast your body thinks it's not getting any food and goes into preservation mode - so will store more of it's lunches and dinners in the form of fat for the future. Then good food throughout the day, only greens for you with red meat/chicken breasts/tuna. Try to make your evening meal lighter than lunch.

2. HIIT. This is key - diet without exercise is a lengthy and not particularly healthy affair. Because you've indicated such a short period - your exercise has to be intense. If you go to the gym already, ask your trainer to make a HIIT program for you, or join one of the intense cardio classes. If you do not go to the gym I can give some other suggestions. My girlfriend for example quit the gym and has her own regime now which consists of running and kettle bell exercises.

The most important point, when it comes to exercise, and you'll see some of those people in the gym, is if you can do it and still have time to read on the treadmill/talk on your phone/generally faff about - you're doing it wrong. Each session pretty much has to end with you wishing to curl up in the corner and stay there. I've lost about 15 kg (33 lbs) in about 4 months a year ago, and 1 month of those 4 I went through an intense HIIT program (maybe I can still find it and put it here for you if you wish, I think I still have it on my phone somewhere). But I'm not going to lie, even though each session only took me about 7-8 minutes, numerous times I was on the verge of throwing up and had to run to the bathrooms just in case.

Another thing with HIIT is - it never gets easier, and it can be as hard or as easy as you make it. For example, say if you run in the park with the speed of 10 km/h for 10 minutes one week, next week you can clearly see progress and it gets easier to run those 10 minutes, so you add another 5. With HIIT it's like this - you only have 10 minutes for all weeks of training, but in those 10 minutes it is up to you how fast you run. A typical HIIT run (although I wasn't doing running myself, I was doing bodyweight exercises) looks something like this - 3 minutes warm up at 50% of your max, then the next 5 minutes you do intervals of 1,5 minutes at your 70-80% and 0,5 minutes at your 100% (push to absolute maximum you can do in those 30 secs), and then after the intervals 2 mins on 50-60% of slowing down and catching your breath.

Main takeaway point of this is - even if you'll do something other than HIIT, you should be going very hard at it. No cheating. Otherwise it'll be difficult to reach your goal in 2 months

3. no shit food, that means takeaways, fast food, fried food, processed food, sweet food or alcohol.

oh, and good sleep is very important, although it proved difficult for me personally.

--

I hope this somehow helps. It worked for me when I was trying to lose some fat (but keep good weight on), of course everyone is different and I'm not saying it's foolproof or anything, but if you try - we'll definitely be looking at your pics in lingerie section come September .

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎