• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: The Road

William Vollmann - Europe Central
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mick
      • Mar 2007

Crime & Punishment.Train on the way to work isn't really ideal, better than not reading at all though.I'd forgotten how much i like reading, letting the author take you to some other place.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
        • Nov 2007

[quote user="Faust"]William Vollmann - Europe Central
        [/quote]</p>

Thumbs up. I saw the author read from this several years ago. Amazing book. </p>
        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="mick"]Crime k&amp; Punishment.Train on the way to work isn't really ideal, better than not reading at all though.I'd forgotten how much i like reading, letting the author take you to some other place.[/quote]</p>

You should read Mikhail Bakhtin's essay on the dialogical imagination of Dostoyevskiy. This takes it to a whole other level.</p>

I agree, AKA - I just started, and I love his writing style. Besides, it's always very interesting to see how well a writer can conjure up a time and place that is not a part of his history.
          </p>
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• soultek
            • Feb 2007

Just picked this up yesterday. I'm afraid it might border on too nerdy even for me, but we'll see:</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• TypicalFashion
              • Mar 2007

Re:

Pastoralia - George Saunders

Comment

• Nullsleep
                • May 2008

Re: Re:

Soultek, that actually sounds really interesting -- and don't worry I'll distract with something even more nerdy. In the middle of this right now:
                </p>

</p>

Comment

• dontbecruel
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="TypicalFashion"]Pastoralia - George Saunders
                  [/quote]</p>

Was browsing in a bookshop a few days ago and noticed that the new Bloomsbury edition of this book has a cool Racquel Welch-style front cover:</p>

</p>

Plus I have to boast that this book is my (rather unimpressive) claim to fame.
                  In my former career as a reviewer this was the only time I made it onto a front cover. You can't quite read it in the mini-scan above, but a quotation from my review in The Independent on Sunday is below the title. It reads:
                  "This stuff is gold dust... fiercely inventive, unforgettably funny and sentimental in all the right places."
                  Since this book, I think George Saunders has gone a bit downhill though. Not sure I still want to be getting name-checked as his cheerleader.
                  </p>

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

i'm glad you are famous, dbc. and i'm glad you are back from the dead! [&lt;:o)]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                      • Sep 2006

Back from France actually (almost the land of the dead, but not quite). I took Man Without Qualities along with me but my bookmark is stalled at about page 400 (exactly where it was when I set off from Blighty). Too busy eating to read. Have you managed to get any further than me, Faust? I found Musil/Ulrich charming, funny and insightful for 300 or so pages but after that the book had already started to become a bit mannered and repetitive.
                      </p>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Not even close to you. It's not subway book reading. I need to take a sabbatical from life to fully experience something like that. I did find him incredibly witty right off the bat. I also wonder how it reads in English as opposed to Russian. Maybe it's better?! I have not been much impressed with the late Russian translations.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theaddict
                          • Apr 2008

Haruki Murakami: Hard boiled wonderland! Man, i am totally in the obscure sceneries in his books...
                          Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• Rubbish
                            • Jul 2008

My grandmother has been hounding me for years trying to get me to read The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, and though I promised her I would, I've always been a little overwhelmed by it. A promise is a promise, though, so I'm trying to build my way up to it by reading some of his earlier works, so right now I'm reading Heart of a Dog.</p>

</p>

I wish I could read this in its original form, but my Russian has never been very good.
                            </p>

Comment

• dontbecruel
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"] I did find him incredibly witty right off the bat.
                              [/quote]</p>

Me too. And I read those first 400 pages in just a few days of staying up late in bed.</p>

But unlike "A La Recherche..", which everyone always compares this book to, I don't have the impression so far that there are thousands of pages of witty psychological insight there for me to savour. Once the plot set-up is complete, the joke kind of stays the same. Not sure about the translation. Received opinion has it the the new English one I am reading is a great improvement on the previous version, but it's by no means a work of art. Has it been translated into Russian more than once? If so, that's pretty surprising!
                              </p>

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Rubbish"]

My grandmother has been hounding me for years trying to get me to read The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, and though I promised her I would, I've always been a little overwhelmed by it. A promise is a promise, though, so I'm trying to build my way up to it by reading some of his earlier works, so right now I'm reading Heart of a Dog.</p>

</p>

I wish I could read this in its original form, but my Russian has never been very good.
                                </p>

[/quote]</p>

If you don't read Master and Margarita, in Russian or otherwise, I will hunt you down and kill you. Heart of a Dog is awesome in its own right. You should watch the film (if your Russian is good enough for it).
                                </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎