Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mamaboy
    • Mar 2008

does anybody remembers "agony"....some russian movie with orgies....it was kinda good
    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• maldoror
      • Jun 2007

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

L'amour l'apres-midi (love in the after-noons) by eric rohmer is such a sweet movie. It's a perfect depiction of Paris in the 70's and the female character is the epitomy of the Parisienne... I know so many girls like her it's not even funny (I suppose I'm not unlike her either but I can't really say)
        If you want a moment of verbose nostalgia, rohmer is usually your man, and I love him for that

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by chameleon View Post
          A Colt Is My Passport (Koruto wa ore no pasupoto, 1967)

Loved it. Dripping with style; Jo Shishido is the epitome of cool. Great photography, killer soundtrack, epic finale. Story might not be very intriguing (man caught between rival gangs) but the execution is flawless. Extremely enjoyable.
          I liked that movie.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• chameleon
            • Jun 2008

Glad you liked it. (or had you seen it before?...either way, it's awesome) Have you seen any of the other movies from the recently released Nikkatsu Noir (Criterion Collection) Box? Set includes 5 japanese noir movies. After having seen A Colt Is My Passport and I Am Waiting (Ore Wa Matteru Ze), I'm thinking of picking up the box.
            Last edited by chameleon; 09-01-2009, 03:49 AM.

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
              L'amour l'apres-midi (love in the after-noons) by eric rohmer is such a sweet movie. It's a perfect depiction of Paris in the 70's and the female character is the epitomy of the Parisienne... I know so many girls like her it's not even funny (I suppose I'm not unlike her either but I can't really say)
              If you want a moment of verbose nostalgia, rohmer is usually your man, and I love him for that
              sounds good galia, i will look this one out.

i watched lagerfeld confidentiel at the weekend. very funny. i like him. he lives so enthusiastically, doesn't seem to ever stop. he has no pretensions about the fashion industry (there's a good line in it where he says something like "if you want social justice go and be a civil servant"). you would never think it but there's something that appears down to earth about him because of this. rather repressed emotionally though, which is wht, i suspect, he never stops.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Eyes Wide Shut. I liked it much better than the first time when it just came out. Maybe because I am older.

One thing I thought besides all the in/fidelity fantasy/reality sex stuff. When you look a the kind of money and power Kubrick depicts in that film, all that middle-class logo-ridden aspirational consumerism becomes so obviously and laughably pointless. I mean I know it, but this film was such a great reminder of how pathetic and fatuous all the LV-toting, Vogue flipping soccer moms are, trying to keep up with the Joneses whom they will not reach in a million years.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mamaboy
                  • Mar 2008

sweet bird of youth
                  mata hari
                  who is afraid of virginia wolf......in dying local video store they got only old shit...i end up watching what they have,not what i came to pick up....and its not so bad.....go figure how that works
                  but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Have you heard of Netfilx?
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• raddy
                      • Oct 2008

Netflix really needs to put a little more effort on the social networking side of the site -- it seems like it could potentially be awesome but is pretty obnoxious currently. (Still netflix rules)
                      Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• cabl3
                        • Dec 2008

El Bufalo de la Noche / The Night Buffalo - it was a rather interesting film. My initial interest was spurred by the soundtrack which was done by one of my favorite musicians (Omar Rodriguez Lopez). I'm starting to wish I had read the book (Se Dice Bisonte, no Bufalo) before watching the movie. Yet, I still feel the way it ended was way too abrupt and was missing some closure.

Still, its a great story about how friendships and relationships can get messy when betrayal comes into the picture (really has a snowball effect), and at times in ways you would have never imagined.
                        "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
                        - Wilde

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Saw District 9 today. Not bad, not bad - I liked the human (no pun intended) angle of it, and how you could easily extrapolate some elements (our tribal behavior, distrust of "the other," the paranoia of the news coverage, etc.). The ending was both touching and annoying, because it was virtually screaming at you, "District 10, coming soon to the theaters near you!"

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

re-watched Inglourious Basterds, was a lot funnier the second time around.

today: Bad Lieutenant

on that note, the trailer for the Nic Cage update looks hilarious. Always enjoy watching Xzibit on screen ever since "pimp my ride"
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• raddy
                              • Oct 2008

I totally loved Basterds. It's not without flaws (pacing in acts one and four a major one), but it is so both gorgeous and hilarious when it's all working. I love the opening of act five make-up scene with gorgeous color symmetry, intensity, and completely over the top mise en scene and how it establishes that act five is going to finally be payback retribution, how the comedic Italian scene isn't just hilarious but heightens the tension, and utlimately the symmetry of the finale.

Maybe this is an oversimplification but it seems that Tarantino films pre Kill Bill are generally not terribly violent, but with episodes of sudden extreme violence that shape the narrative, but KB never lets up and Basterds has sort of the same feel as KB, pervasively brutal, but unlike KB, it's back to the previous very short bursts of actual aggression.

I also think that Basterds is one of those movies that the viewing experience can change pretty significantly based on the audience you watch it with; the second time I saw it, the audience was completely in love with the film, laughing out of their seats at each Pitt line, applauding each Nazi death, cheering and screaming at the climax (to the point where I was almost uncomfortable), and it certainly improved the experience compared to the more tepid crowd I watch it with the first time.
                              Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• tweeds
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by raddy View Post
                                Maybe this is an oversimplification but it seems that Tarantino films pre Kill Bill are generally not terribly violent, but with episodes of sudden extreme violence that shape the narrative, but KB never lets up and Basterds has sort of the same feel as KB, pervasively brutal, but unlike KB, it's back to the previous very short bursts of actual aggression.
                                not that this has to do with Inglourious Basterds itself, but there's at least Reservoir Dogs from the pre-Kill Bill work...

anyway, i enjoyed watching Basterds. it was patchy but still good - at one or two points the pace really dropped and the references got a little overwhelming - but it caught itself at all the right moments.
                                SITE | TWITTER

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎