X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Saw King's Speech. Cute and endearing, but Oscar for the best picture? I don't think so. Firth was great, but I guess they owed him for A Single Man.

Although now I am wondering - do all movies just look shitty on airplanes? Was not crazy about The Social Network and Inception either.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

I think almost all movies look so much better in the cinema. I mean, Inception was dumb and all over the place but I did appreciate the visuals; a 10 inch airplane screen cannot effectively display this.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Acéphale
        • Apr 2010

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
          • Jan 2008

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders(1970) dir. Jaromil Jireš

Last edited by BECOMING-INTENSE; 03-11-2011, 06:23 PM.
          Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
          Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• laughed
            • Jul 2009

Comment

• Grazzesto
              • Mar 2010

Finally got to slow down the other night and decided to rewatch How to Get Ahead in Advertising
              Always fun to watch

Comment

• HreP
                • Mar 2011

@Enter the Void discussion

Yes, the story is banal. One thing that really annoyed me was the ending of it; so naive and pointless. To me it seemed like Noé didn't know how to end it. But I still think it's an interesting and innovative film. It contains some very sublime moments.

The last film I watched was Offret/The Sacrifice by Tarkovsky. I haven't watched any film since that (it was a week ago, and I usually watch around 5 films a week). It can't and shouldn't even be described using words... That, The Mirror and Stalker are some of the most sublime (yes, I like that word) cinematic experiences I've ever had. Tarkovsky was such a genius. Most people today will probably try to analyze them and think they are meant to be intellectual or something like that; they couldn't be anymore wrong! A lot of people I've talked to simply can't accept that they can't be analyzed like other films, that they are meant to talk to us intuitively.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  A Single Man. Not bad. Polished like a Gucci ad, but not bad. If you watch, don't make the mistake of watching "the making of." Ford is as profound as a box of brillos.
                  having just read A Single Man, I really appreciated how Colin Firth resembled George exactly as I imagined him in the book.
                  http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Rayuela
                    • Oct 2010

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                      • Jan 2008

Ran(1985) dir. Akira Kurosawa

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                        • Sep 2009

/\ Interesting, because 2001 is also what came to my mind. Watched the first hour. Mr.beyus nailed it so far - style over substance. The story is BEYOND BANAL. Please, no more young kids doing drugs and being used for sex. I fucking get it. Enough of this inanity. Aronofsky put a nail in that coffin a long time ago.
                        It's really not about that though - it's about a DMT trip and exploring through film what it would be like to have an out of body experience and the feelings/thoughts you might have if you thought you had just died, but still maintain some sort of consciousness. It's also about playing with the fantasy of life after death without actually buying into it. But you wouldn't get that if you only watched the first hour. I wouldn't call it a great film, but in the end I think it succeeds in raising the questions that Noe wants us to think about.

My main complaint with this film is that most of the substance-less psychedelic scenes are way too long, but I'm not sure if I would call it style over substance - more just tiresome. And the transitions certainly become funny and trite by the end.

Comment

• swami
                          • Jul 2008

ANIMAL KINGDOM
                          IS a pretty good film !

I have not watched many other Aussie films since LANTANA so I gladly invite recommendations.

Originally posted by genevieveryoko View Post
                          having just read A Single Man, I really appreciated how Colin Firth resembled George exactly as I imagined him in the book.
                          Have not read the book , But Colin Firth should have got more recognition for this role , he was amazing in the transformation from being depressed and dejected to finding a new lease on life , That scene where he runs from the bar to the ocean ... spectacular!

Comment

• mrbeuys
                            • May 2008

do all movies just look shitty on airplanes?
                            In a word: Yes. I have stopped watching films on planes. Made me think Inception was good.
                            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                              In a word: Yes. I have stopped watching films on planes. Made me think Inception was good.
                              LOL. See, made me think Inception was shitty! So, who's right?
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                                • Sep 2009

watched Ponyo today

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢