X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MoFiya
    • Sep 2007

Yeah, it was a bit too long
    But I don't know if the movie works when watching at home. It is clearly inspired by 2001 by Kubrick and I don't know wether the psychodelic (or life-associated?) maelstrom works on a rather small screen (unless you have a home cinema, of course). Dunno if I would've watched through the whole movie if I saw it at home.
    In cinema - I enjoyed the experience and the movie got me interested in Noés work. Still, my favorite by him is Seul contre tous.
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ Interesting, because 2001 is also what came to my mind. Watched the first hour. Mr.beyus nailed it so far - style over substance. The story is BEYOND BANAL. Please, no more young kids doing drugs and being used for sex. I fucking get it. Enough of this inanity. Aronofsky put a nail in that coffin a long time ago.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• klangspiel
        • Apr 2007

hah. don't believe the hype. i didn't like enter the void either, but only because it didn't quite push the film's tangent far enough... to the farthest reaches of whatever conclusive state it was trying to attain and wrangle with (particularly with its internal logic and more broadly, whatever dialogue it could have had with the history of cinema). needless to say: too "watered down" for my own liking.

i did enjoy the "pyrotechnics" though. in this instance, style is substance. the narrative / storyline is a mere afterthought - something else (far more interesting) is happening.

coincidentally, i watched gerald kargl's angst earlier in the day. it's a film often cited by noé as a major inspiration. love the camerawork on this one and the soundtrack by klaus schulze is pretty killer.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

finally saw Black Swan, it was highly watchable and a fine companion piece to The Wrestler, even if not quite as good. I hope Natalie Portman wins the Oscar though, and in a just world Aronofsky should beat Fincher.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Rayuela
            • Oct 2010

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
              finally saw Black Swan, it was highly watchable and a fine companion piece to The Wrestler, even if not quite as good. I hope Natalie Portman wins the Oscar though, and in a just world Aronofsky should beat Fincher.
              Saw it today and I liked it as well. Definitely not as good as The Wrestler, which is his best film by a mile, but good nonetheless. Anyone who has to fight his own demons (and I would imagine that includes everyone) should be able to appreciate this film and relate to it.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                • Oct 2006

What a surprise! I've recently been going through Christopher Walken's recent stuff that I hadn't seen (The Maiden Heist and $5 a Day which were both decent at best films but made eminently watchable by Walken) and ran across this and couldn't turn down the cast (buscemi, walken, sarandon, amy sedaris, elaine stritch). Just super lively and odd - really vivacious. Would highly recommend.

edit: speaking of that horse of turin trailer from earlier, has anyone watched bela tarr's satantango all the way through? i'm downloading it was thinking about trying to set aside a day next weekend if it finishes in time
                Last edited by Servo2000; 03-05-2011, 01:33 AM.
                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Rayuela
                  • Oct 2010

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                    • Jan 2010

This looks amazing.

THE HOUSE OF DIS
                    embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
                      This looks amazing.
                      Yes, I can't wait for this.
                      I was really happy to hear it was Wim Wenders who would do a film
                      for beautiful Pina.
                      Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• laughed
                        • Jul 2009

when has rap music (i don't use that word "hip-hop) - been anything BUT about ripping off people? in more ways than one i might add

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                        I agree, nothing to do with drugs really.
                        But also seriously, and at the end comically, too long. I am talking about the 3 hour version. And badly acted. Really badly. Style > Substance.

Opening titles rock. So hard, Hype (remote controlled by Kanye) had to copy them. Badly.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/5551...-lights-video/

Comment

• klangspiel
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Rayuela View Post
                          Marketa Lazarová
                          good call. one of the most beautiful films ever made. shame that vlácil isn't more well-known and better celebrated. as far as "poetic cinema" is concerned, he's up there with the heavyweights like tarkovsky, ozu, bergman, dreyer.

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post
                          This looks amazing.
                          looks promising.

chantal akerman's film on bausch is a must-see for those keeping check on the "pina on film" filmography. lovely stuff.

Comment

• laughed
                            • Jul 2009

i'm verrrry late to the blu-ray party, but now that i've arrived i love it. I need morrreeee!!!! speaking of wenders - paris, tx never looked so good.

Comment

• Rayuela
                              • Oct 2010

@Klangspiel

It remains the case that, even where poetry is concerned, plain talking is popular. Trying to encourage friends to watch films like those of Frantisek Vlácil can draw out some unexpected prejudices.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                                i'm verrrry late to the blu-ray party, but now that i've arrived i love it. I need morrreeee!!!! speaking of wenders - paris, tx never looked so good.
                                Now you owe it to yourself to get decent sound equipment, if you don't have already. The difference to me is even more noticable in the sound than in the image (a good upscaling DVD player does a good job with the video, but the audio is still MP3).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎