X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theaddict
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Exactly. And then everyone wonders about where old members go. To where their brains don't hurt from the same stupid questions.

ahahaha, i just spilled water over my monitor...
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Exactly. And then everyone wonders about where old members go. To where their brains don't hurt from the same stupid questions.
      this is a mythological place. it does not exist. and if it does, we'll fuck it up soon enough...
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• tgadd
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Christian View Post
        We are indeed.
        But small questions belong in the "Small questions" thread.
        Why should we help someone who doesn't even read the rules of the forum ?
        One or two pointers in that direction to obviously new members could do something to combat the stagnancy this place seems continually to exhibit by, you know, fostering new members rather than discouraging them from posting entirely.

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

I'm betting on lincecum over hallaway
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• timberlakeld
            • Mar 2010

some ppl may conclude brands like BBS, VA, Julius, Ro..etc as "Darkness" Brand, so what category should we put XXX in? Why?

Comment

• BSR
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by timberlakeld View Post
              some ppl may conclude brands like BBS, VA, Julius, Ro..etc as "Darkness" Brand, so what category should we put XXX in? Why?
              Light, i guess
              pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
              Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by timberlakeld View Post
                I think that these kind of Classifications, while sometimes accurate, often oversimplifies and can misrepresent what these designers do.

there are areas where many of the designers work overlaps, but there are distinct differences that could put them in completely different categories.

take for example Julius and VA, there is an aggression to Julius that VA does not posses, VA is more tailored and way more 'poetic" in its essence than Julius. to just throw them all in a category called "darkness" is to disregard important aspects of each designers work

BBS I have always seen as being more youthful, more raw and "artisanal" than the others you mentioned.

Carol at heart is a Tailor, Albeit a "maniacal" one, and lest I get into trouble I am using the word in a complementary way here, by this I mean that there is this kind of attention to detail that conveys that kind of persona in his work, where there is a deliberate desire to refine his ideas, cuts and concepts to as close to perfecting his ideals as a designer can possibly get.

He is probably the best tailor that exist among the avant garde niche brands.............
                The only thing that I see that could categories or tie them ll together in the "darkness" category (whatever that means) is that for the most part they are all minimalist, who are drawn to a darker color palette and aesthetic...........

edit:
                Liker it or not, Rick Owens is a big mainstream brand right now. not that there is anything wrong with that. I dont see the reason if you create something successful, you should necessarily choose to keep it small, just for some kind of "inner circle cred"
                the beauty of Rick becoming mainstream is that it proves that a brand came come into being and grow and become profitable without selling out to big conglomerates......
                Clothes falling apart or not, I like the fact that he is still producing in the same factories that he started with, they just need to iron out a flew slight production issues and he should be fine...........
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Umami
                  • Sep 2010

agree with zamb.

Comment

• Enaml
                    • Apr 2009

Also agree with zamb completely. Calling something a 'darkness' brand is entirely reductionist at a basic level. That said, it's entirely natural, I think, to group labels/designers/brands together by similarities they share. It might be better, as Zamb already stated, to note that they share characteristics in common (minimal design, dark palette, etc), but not use these characteristics to put them into boxes. With this in mind, I would be interested in what others see as 'characteristics' of Poell's designs.
                    How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• snafu
                      • Apr 2008

I certainly don't see minimal with any of the people mentioned above.

Comment

• Chant
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2008

Damir said once that he doesn't belong to the "dark" designers, because he likes colours and to play with it, and so does CCP.

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                          I certainly don't see minimal with any of the people mentioned above.
                          well if you explain what you understanding of minimal is, I can agree or disagree with you. I am not talking about Minimalism in the sense of Cavin Klein or Halston type minimal

but if you look at how many of these designers clothes are constructed, you cannot help but to call it minimal,

Take for example Poells Jackets, most have no breast pocket, they are single button closures, on both the sleeve and the Body, instead of a double vent there is only one. And I respect it because its not a sign of laziness, but a sign of restraint and an adherence to a philosophy, because whatever is left, is treated with the highest commitment to proper execution. the Single button vent on the sleeve becomes a functional surgeon cuff, with pick stitching and handmade buttonholes.
                          Even the Pockets on his suits are constructed without welt lips, but you see the workmanship because they are then pick stitched by hand, so at least for him, thats what I mean by Minimalism

Christian,

Darkness doesn't mean a lack of Colour. one can have a dark but colorful aesthetic, in the sense that colours can be muted or be used with a darker tone to them. alt least in my own work thats what I do,

Red becomes Plum, or maroon
                          Blue becomes something darker than navy, like midnight blue
                          Green becomes combat green, like the leather jacket and suit in the S/S 2011 collection.
                          So the use of colour doesn't mean the absence of darkness, after all, are there not many blacks with hints of other colours in them?
                          Last edited by zamb; 10-15-2010, 01:10 PM.
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                            Light, i guess
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                              this is a mythological place. it does not exist. and if it does, we'll fuck it up soon enough...
                              Startup Domains offers premium .com domains and brands for sale. Buyers pay the agreed price plus ultra-low escrow fees only. (321) 574-8052
                              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

where to robokop unicorn
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎