• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TheNotoriousT View Post
    I second that and would recommend not kopping the sneaks if you are too anal about your footwear.
    In my book they are not meant to be kept clean and new.
    I wear mine until they fall apart.
    Fuck em up and move on!
    I'd agree otherwise, but such cracking to my knowledge is not typical? the rubber usually wear and fades over time
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Umami
      • Sep 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36zjLgRNbRE

plastidip a pair of socks first.

Comment

• Peasant
        • Jul 2009

Has anyone simply had vibrams or other flat rubber soles put on? I've seen some apply them to the Augusta sneaks. Minomni had a heel tap put on his.

Comment

• seenmy
          • May 2009

it would be do able but you would have to have the sole sanded right down to give a base to glue the vibram to,so you would essentialy be removing the protective rubber poell has applied to apply a protective rubber by vibram, pointless if you ask me,unless there is a need to improve grip

Comment

• Peasant
            • Jul 2009

Good point. Though I think a vibram sole may be longer lasting. And easier to replace than a DIY redip.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

I was thinking about doing exactly that once the rubber is worn a bit more, mainly because the grip on dip is pretty bad in the winter.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• snafu
                • Apr 2008

TheNotoriousT could not agree with you more... personally this is my thoughts not just to the trainers; but all clothing and footwear.
                You just need to get over that period of when something is brand new and you get that first scuff on it.

Lowrey maybe the guy has a funny shaped foot, they could be the wrong size, or just worn in an extreme environment... there are too many subjective factors ... look at Venus's Jacket he wore it pretty much everyday non stop for 3 years... you can't expect it too look the same as in a shop... wabi sabi ?

Comment

• eton97
                  • Dec 2008

I just can't see how u would vibram the soles.
                  Just to get the edges smooth and true will be almost impossible.
                  Good luck
                  Dont know which I think is more risky. Home redipping or vibram.
                  Will be interesting to see the results of both.

I think notoriousT has the least risky option
                  you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                    TheNotoriousT could not agree with you more... personally this is my thoughts not just to the trainers; but all clothing and footwear.
                    You just need to get over that period of when something is brand new and you get that first scuff on it.

Lowrey maybe the guy has a funny shaped foot, they could be the wrong size, or just worn in an extreme environment... there are too many subjective factors ... look at Venus's Jacket he wore it pretty much everyday non stop for 3 years... you can't expect it too look the same as in a shop... wabi sabi ?
                    considering that we don't even know how much the shoes have been worn, its jumping the gun to call someone "anal about footwear" if they ask about an issue that has not come up before, its not like he was going nuts about it, he just asked a question. that is my point.

besides, thats not a scuff, scuffing and fading is ordinary. I haven't seen them crack before so I think its reasonable to be curious.

eton, I don't see why it would be that difficult, when the original sole wears down enough the edges wont be that rounded anymore, fitting a thin Vibram would just require sanding the sole even and shaping the vibram as with any other shoe (I've had some fitted to slightly more unusual soles, AV_Field for example)

Comment

• eton97
                      • Dec 2008

Lowrey - fair point..... I've got a good cobbler I trust and may give it a try when my dipped get to that stage.
                      In the mean time, I'll look forward to seeing the results of both a vibram and a redip.
                      you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• beardown
                        rekoner
                        • Feb 2009

This is one of those ideas that's tough to swallow about the Cult of Carol: The blind attitude that if there's a production flaw or an irregularity to the materials that result in something falling apart, it's A) the fault of the wearer or B) it's the intention of the designer.

In the case of these drips, it appears to be a bit of both failure in materials and craftsmanship. We've seen many times how these are supposed to break in and wear down. They're not supposed to fall apart at the spots that are glued and/or sewn. It's like a fault line cracking at an area that's supposed to bend.

I would return them and get a pair that has had the glue/latex applied properly.

I am 100% for the natural deterioration of materials. I'm actually rather fond of it. But suggesting that this obvious flaw is part of the natural process is like suggesting that Rick put staples in the heel of his sneakers because it's his idea that things are supposed to fall apart from back to front and part of the designer's 'vision.'

Sometimes shit just falls apart in ways that it shouldn't and those are generally the result of failure in materials or flaws in production. It it was a pair of $25 dollar shoes made in China, you might say, 'I'm shocked! A pair of $25 shoes from china falling apart at the sole.' You wouldn't suggest that they weren't 'worn' correctly or it's the intention of the designer for the shit to fall apart at points of assembly.
                        Originally posted by mizzar
                        Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                          • Oct 2009

I was not referring to anyones post, sorry if it came across kinda harsh.
                          Not calling anybody anything just added my two cents to the sneaker debate.
                          Also I would be the first to return if Id get something thats not how it is supposed to be. CCP or not.
                          Just saying that the sneaks will most likely not make you happy if you want your footwear to stay new and clean.
                          They change and evolve with every wear if you cant live with that dont kop especially with a price tag like that.
                          "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• Peasant
                            • Jul 2009

I'm all for clothing showing signs of wear. But for the price I want them to last more than 6 months. I don't mind buying a pair of Half-cabs (which probably have a more durable sole) every month but these I want to last for years. Why buy new ones if you can fix the old? Waste of money if you ask me. If we do it to boots why not these? I think a good cobler can take this soft sole down to a smooth consistent surface with ease.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                              • Oct 2009

I am sure it will be possible but I wouldnt want my cobbler to sand them down.
                              Thats my job! :-)
                              Also I think it will take quite some time to walk them down all the way through the latex.

As for the pair posted on the previous page that started the whole "debate" I would contact the store or CCP directly and check with them before you work on them yourself.
                              Poell is very service orientated and will surely help you out in one way or another.
                              "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• trentk
                                • Oct 2010

http://www.achtung-mode.com/de/zeitg...Wilfried+Mayer

wow, wow, wow. if google translate is right, one of CCP's former apprentices has his own line?

edit: we already have a thread from 08
                                "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎