X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    He uses YKK for boots (don't remember about jackets). Nothing wrong with YKK - they are a high quality Japanese manufacturer. The only problem with YKK is that they actually get faked, believe it or not...
    They get faked because they're used so widely in performance gear, not because of their fashion usage. I much prefer YKK to riri, seems sturdier. riri zips on my stuff are always getting stuck, YKK not so much. Riri is often better looking though.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I'm a Lampo fan myself. Best zipper, I think, although the consensus is Riri > Lampo > YKK > MRS. I still don't know who is behind the chunky RY zippers that Rick Owens and Ann Demeulemeester use - it's a mystery which no one has been able to answer.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theaddict
        • Apr 2008

hey asho,

yeah i thought just something like this, but i am not sure what will really happen when i hammer the nails deeper in the shoe. And on another note i dont think that here in Seoul is a cobbler i would trust in this matter.
        So i decided to pass them on and see it as another try...haha.
        thanks anyway mate!
        Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• DHC
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
          They get faked because they're used so widely in performance gear, not because of their fashion usage. I much prefer YKK to riri, seems sturdier. riri zips on my stuff are always getting stuck, YKK not so much. Riri is often better looking though.
          Do you mean stuck at the bottom stop when working the slider? Some riris have a kind of lock function that you have to snap/click passed well into the base box before pulling.
          Originally posted by Faust
          fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by DHC View Post
            Do you mean stuck at the bottom stop when working the slider? Some riris have a kind of lock function that you have to snap/click passed well into the base box before pulling.
            Nope, the lock is nice. I mean that the teeth are more likely to get jammed and also that most of my riri zips have a tendency for the puller to fall sideways, and get jammed that way, engaging the lock mechanism and forcing me to sit and fuck with my zipper for a few minutes.
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• stadsvandringar
              • Aug 2008

CCP actually used riri's in their earlier collections. I'm not sure why they made the switch over to YKK, especially since it seems CCP has only improved in quality over time. Anybody have any insights?

Comment

• tangerine
                • Dec 2006

I have found a lot of variance in the quality of riri zippers, including the problems of them getting stuck/not working smoothly. Some are better than others.

I find YKK to be more consistent, even if their best is not as good as riri's best. I wouldn't be surprised if they (YKK) have different quality (and cost) levels.
                the woman Balmain is wild, casual, explosive cocktail of a sailor and a ballerina

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by uparmoured View Post
                  A quiz for those of you who like worthless trivia...

The three jewelry pieces that Poell makes tells a certain story... Which are these pieces and what is the story?
                  Ooooo, I love trivia.

Are you referencing the drug paraphernalia silver components or something else?

As for zippers, YKKs have always held up for me. Never had a zipper pull break or anything like that. RiRi's are definitely nice and have a better, more quality feel to them. For those that have a YKK pull snap off, it's VERY easy to replace the sliders on zippers.
                  www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• uparmoured
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                    Ooooo, I love trivia.

Are you referencing the drug paraphernalia silver components or something else?
                    Yeah you are on the right track...
                    FS: M.A+
                    FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• uparmoured
                      • Sep 2007

A bit of Rick James on the clipboard cut up with the razor at which point the hollow tube of the pen comes in handy...

... CCP'S A HELL OF A DRUG...
                      FS: M.A+
                      FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• makeupexpression
                        • Aug 2008

thanks for the great info
                        i am new to this - but i find him as the best...

Comment

• MikeN
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by tangerine View Post
                          I find YKK to be more consistent, even if their best is not as good as riri's best. I wouldn't be surprised if they (YKK) have different quality (and cost) levels.
                          They do, they have a lot of different ones. Some that even look just like the ones on Rick's boots. There are many places in the garment district that have all of the different YKK types laid out on a big board.

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                            They do, they have a lot of different ones. Some that even look just like the ones on Rick's boots. There are many places in the garment district that have all of the different YKK types laid out on a big board.
                            Are the ones on his boots the same as the sneakers? I love those, I'd be tempted to replace some other zippers with those if I could get a hold of them.
                            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• MikeN
                              • Nov 2007

Not sure, I only own the boots. I'm sure someone here owns both...

Comment

• Who?
                                • Aug 2007

Yep, same zippers on the boots and trainers
                                WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎