Comment

• cjbreed
        • Feb 2009

for some reason that photo is awesome
        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• cloonz
          • Aug 2011

Someone posted this one on sufu. What's he doing in NY?

Comment

• messenoire
            • Nov 2009

probably overseeing the drkshdw pop-up store in anticipation for londons opening. that's just my guess

Comment

• LOVE
              • Dec 2007

"You may dispense with the pleasantries, commander. I am here to put you back on schedule."

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

LOL. Fucking paparazzi everywhere.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• malevich
                  • Jun 2012

from GQ

ON JUNE 27, 2013 AT 1:13 PM
                  "Style Isn't Everything": A Conversation With Rick Owens
                  BY MICHAEL HAINEY

GQ: Why aren't you home working?
                  Rick Owens: I'm done. [laughs]

GQ: You're actually one of the few guys who manages to get it all done ahead of time, right?
                  RO: You know, I'm 50. After ten years of doing this, you've got to have your shit together a little bit. And, I mean, I'm not saying it's perfect, but I've done the best I can, and now I have to let it go.

GQ: When you get dressed in the morning, do you have a vision of what you're going to wear that day?
                  RO: Yeah, I do. Because I have twenty of the same thing, I wear the same outfit every single day. I can't imagine having to choose clothes in the morning. It would drive me crazy. I mean, I found one thing I like and then I probably have twenty of it. I change it a little bit every year, maybe, but it's basically the same thing. It's been the same thing for a long time. You know, if it's good enough for Mr. [Azzedine] Alaïa, it's good enough for me.

GQ: Is there a sentimental piece of clothing in your home, something from when you were a young boy?
                  RO: There's a monkey coat, a monkey fur coat that I used to wear in my younger days that my wife Michele [Lamy] wears now, that I like to see. That's about the only thing that's sentimental that I've had for a long, long time. It's a beautiful monkey fur coat with kind of big shoulders. I'm not really as flamboyant as I used to be, so I don't, I don't wear…

GQ: In high school, did you have a killer piece of clothing you had then?
                  RO: High school…you know, that was a long time ago, and I don't really remember it fondly, so I probably didn't. I remember liking not wearing shoes for a long time.

GQ: Really?
                  RO: Yeah, I remember that the coolest thing was never to wear shoes anywhere.

GQ: So were you like Spicoli at that point?
                  RO: Well, not as good-looking, I don't think, but I'd like to have been. I think I was aiming for that.

GQ: What inspires you most?
                  RO: Architecture.

GQ: Anything specifically these days?
                  RO: It's not contemporary. I mean, I like vintage things because I like seeing a body of work. There are people that like contemporary art and people that like old art, and I like old art. Contemporary art I enjoy looking at, but I can't really invest emotionally in something that I don't feel is a finished story, and when people get excited about modern art I feel like there's an element of gambling and status involved. I like seeing something done. The old spectrum of somebody's body of work, I love that.

I like art from the thirties a lot. The thirties and twenties. I mean, if I'm talking about architecture, I like Robert Mallet-Stevens. I like—who's that one who just died, the one who just died who did—no, Le Corbusier did Brasilia, right?

GQ: No, that was the guy who's 101 who just died. And he did the Brasilia thing.
                  RO: And he lived in Rio de Janeiro. Why can't we remember?

GQ: Why can't we? Because we're both 50 years old; we get old [laughs].
                  RO: This is what happens. [Ed Note: Oscar Niemeyer is the architect in question.]

GQ: If you had to pick a song that defines you, do you have one?
                  RO: Wagner. It would be Schmerzen, one of the Wesendonck Lieder from Wagner, and that's what I played in my last women's show. I finally used it in a show. And that's been an important song to me since I was young. So that's the song that would define me.

GQ: How did it become important to you?
                  RO: When I was young, it swept me away and it made me think about something bigger than where I was.

GQ: What would you tell a man is the key to finding or discovering his personal style?
                  RO: I have no idea. Maybe it's not that important. Maybe personal style really isn't that important. If it's not a priority for you and you haven't found it already, then go think about something else. Style isn't everything.

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

The more things change, the more I go back for the same.

FW 2002
                    sain't

Comment

• xeraphim
                      • Nov 2008

seeing this around tumblr quite a bit lately but don't recall reading it in any of his interviews... anyone knows the actual source by any chance?

Comment

• sCrAtChy
                        • Oct 2009

The Plinth boots with poly hair are basically sold out everywhere in the world.

Comment

• returningson
                          • Aug 2012

I would trip right out if I saw Rick owens walking in a Nordstrom of all places...

Comment

• julian_doe
                            • Mar 2013

xeraphim, I don't know the source of that statement, but I can certainly appreciate his point of view.

Thanks for sharing :)

Comment

• light1008
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by sCrAtChy View Post
                              The Plinth boots with poly hair are basically sold out everywhere in the world.
                              LN-CC just got a full size run.

Comment

• hurricane08
                                • Nov 2008

After reading about Oscar Niemeyer, first thing i thought was that this should be the best place for Rick's headquarters...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎