X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naturalalmonds
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by voltbird View Post
    Sure, the same way I have the complete freedom to insist that the industry and those working within it deserve every ounce of criticism in this vein, without said criticism being labeled "unnecessarily provocative," or "blown out of proportion."
    Nothing gives you the right to be free from criticism of your criticism, by the way. You can't have your cake and eat it too, to use your own aphorism.
    I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• 550BC
      • Jan 2013

a fish out of water dies

Comment

• voltbird
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by naturalalmonds View Post
        Nothing gives you the right to be free from criticism of your criticism, by the way. You can't have your cake and eat it too, to use your own aphorism.
        Fair enough, though I remain disturbed by some of the responses here. I have to wonder what compels someone to write off these op-eds and dismiss them as overblown, as though fashion exists in a vacuum, miraculously devoid of even subconscious discrimination and with zero moral obligation to transcend the status quo accordingly. Even if diversity doesn't "naturally" occur to any given designer, the blowback for this is impossible to ignore and yet very few are electing to respond to it (on the right side of history, at least).

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

This discussion is degenerating into hyperbole for the sake of salvaging a shaky point, from the perspective of a non-participant.

Affirmative action exists for white people as a symbolic guilt-shunt -- no artists of color want a handout and no artist of any persuasion should be forced to compromise their vision due to some vague, intellectually fascist mandate of race quotas. If the show is going to look better on white people so it will be cast, and vice versa.

If you want to suss out the individual and brand-level motivations for using particular ethnic palettes you need to make specific statements -- you sound like someone saying "technology is bad yo."

The status quo is painting reality in broad strokes, which is always summarily vile to those who use a pen.
          Last edited by Arkady; 03-09-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• cjbreed
            • Feb 2009

tee hee...
            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Arkady
              • Apr 2011

And I might add that if you want to concentrate on transcending a status quo the idea should be accenting the unity all of us face in being members of a permanent underclass, not playing with the toys of state oppression like engineered racial division. While everyone is busy arguing about black James Bond we're all being sold across the Atlantic in a metaphoric sense -- we are in a new age of indiscriminate slavery.

So I guess we'll need to put vagrants on the runway, which will naturally diffuse out into the world and get Bernie Sanders elected / precipitate a guaranteed-income utopia.

I think the closest actual version of what I'm talking about were the vogue balls of 80s and 90s New York, DC and Atlanta -- the runway became a medium for mocking the excessive and comedic trappings of the fops that generation grew up watching on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, etc. while they themselves were poor and ostracized minority queer folk.

See also: GBS' response to some ass-hat suggesting he was using blackface in his recent men's show.

Comment

• voltbird
                • Feb 2014

Degenerating into hyperbole? You're the one putting words in my mouth. I meant what I said and I said what I meant. Nowhere have I mentioned affirmative action, "race quotas," state mandates of any kind, or Bernie Sanders, for that matter. I said that there has been very vocal criticism on behalf of models, critics, and consumers with respect to industry representation. Very few designers have indicated that they care to listen, and to me, this is shameful.

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

Mmyeah that's what I figured.

Comment

• bukka
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                    See also: GBS' response to some ass-hat suggesting he was using blackface in his recent men's show.
                    Didn't the guy just ask if anyone else thought that the makup was problematic? Or is blackface a synonym of makeup? My english might be failing me...
                    Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Arkady
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bukka View Post
                      Didn't the guy just ask if anyone else thought that the makup was problematic? Or is blackface a synonym of makeup? My english might be failing me...
                      Blackface is a style of makeup that was used in theatrical shows mocking blacks here in the post-Civil War USA up until the 60s. So the poster was suggesting that the particular style in this case was recalling the vaudeville style. The misunderstanding was cleared up but Geoffrey's points stand.

Comment

• bukka
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                        Blackface is a style of makeup that was used in theatrical shows mocking blacks here in the post-Civil War USA up until the 60s. So the poster was suggesting that the particular style in this case was recalling the vaudeville style. The misunderstanding was cleared up but Geoffrey's points stand.
                        Good thing I asked if there was another meaning for "blackface". Thx

Comment

• voltbird
                          • Feb 2014

I read it as a mime's makeup wearing off in spots...

But as always, Geoffrey's work is undeniably incredible, and beyond that, he graciously and respectfully handles any ensuing discussion.

Comment

• bukka
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by voltbird View Post
                            I read it as a mime's makeup wearing off in spots...

But as always, Geoffrey's work is undeniably incredible, and beyond that, he graciously and respectfully handles any ensuing discussion.

Comment

• d'avant-garde
                              • Sep 2013

I think Vetements will be more youth oriented catering to the Instagram crowd/youth will Balenciaga being more mature and art oriented

Comment

• upsilonkng
                                • May 2010

telling people that its irony and u dont get it, that it's commentary on tumblr trends while thriving only because of it sounds all very hipster to me. nothing genuine just mocking urself and those around u, if this brand has something to say or an original way of saying it maybe now is not too late to start dressing Trump and his band of ironic racist. Maybe they will do costumes for all white out Egypians as well? dressing Exodus Also and Gods of Egypt Too??
                                to excuse blatant racism as artist prerogative , i'm would guess ur white.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎