Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atelier Article and Interview with K.S. in Haaretz (Israel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Atelier Article and Interview with K.S. in Haaretz (Israel)

That may be the case, laika. I don't mind - Yohji and CDG have certainly become that - maybe it's high time for that Belgian generation to become venerable - they did make first waves 20 years ago. I think it's quite ironic that Raf is still thought of as a "young Belgian designer," and he's pushing 40.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
      • Oct 2006

[quote user="laika"]

[quote user="bakla"]

It describes my eventual fatigue with the things I find appealing today, with designers I am obsessed with now, who may not appeal as much to me tomorrow.

[/quote]

I love this quote and also (belatedly) your post in the RO thread about why and how you follow fashion. Very refreshing to hear your point of view. And I absolutely identify, although perhaps not to the same extent as you. Hence my tfs signature about the ephemeral, the fugitive and the contingent. It would be great to have a whole thread on this topic.

[/quote]

Thanks laika. Unfortunately whatever care I took into crafting that reply in that Rick Owens thread was quickly rebuffed and boiled down to nothing more than a fear of paying Rick Owens retail.

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Interesting answers everyone. I guess I am just wary of seing the maturation of some brands as a breakthrough for avant-garde taste in general.

BTW this quote is priceless:

"We live in a culture where people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing."

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I know what you saying, Fuuma. Isn't it tempting to think that people just have better taste?! [75]

That quote is brilliant, I agree.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mortalveneer
            • Jan 2008

[quote user="Fuuma"]

BTW this quote is priceless:

"We live in a culture where people know the price of everything, but the value of nothing."

[/quote]

Total agreement. This is perhaps nowhere so obvious as when diffusion lines from Dolce & Gabbana, Cavalli, and others, can charge the same price for t-shirts as MA+, LUC, and others, and yet sell many times the volume...

I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Pinoy
              • Dec 2006

Fascinating article? thank you so much for posting it, Faust.

Unlike many others here, I've never had the opportunity to stop by Atelier. Unlike the recent NYT article which focused more on the actual clothing on A's racks, I love how this particular article/interview gave readers a sneak peek into the mind of Karlo / Atelier and his views on certain designers, fashion, American style mentalities, etc.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

you are welcome, daniel. i'm glad you like it. [Y]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
                  • Oct 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

Interesting answers everyone. I guess I am just wary of seing the maturation of some brands as a breakthrough for avant-garde taste in general.

[/quote]

The avante garde will always initiate for the rest of fashion to assimilate in more palatable ways. Fashion is oft about changing tastes, and the reactions to such. Of course, if the 'avante-garde' ideas become de rigeur, then it might become avante garde to wear completely 'classic' wear...

Comment

• justine
                    • Jan 2007

[quote user="Fuuma"]

[/quote]

You might know that, but this is taken from O. Wilde, it's his definition of a cynic.

Regarding the article, the only thing that somehow bothered me is the line: "attracts a monochrome-clad clientele ranging from young artists, to actors, to rock stars." ; I find it limiting, and (maybe I'm wrong) the author seems to want to boost the 'coolness' factor of the store because young artists/actors/rock stars frequent it. I just don't see the point. Other than that, nice read and thanks for sharing.

Comment

• justine
                      • Jan 2007

[quote user="bakla"]Of course, if the 'avante-garde' ideas become de rigeur, then it might become avante garde to wear completely 'classic' wear...
                      [/quote]That would be way to easy, you have to find the new avant-garde! :)

Comment

[quote user="bakla"][quote user="Fuuma"]

[/quote]

The avante garde will always initiate for the rest of fashion to assimilate in more palatable ways. Fashion is oft about changing tastes, and the reactions to such. Of course, if the 'avante-garde' ideas become de rigeur, then it might become avante garde to wear completely 'classic' wear...
                        [/quote]

so you're saying that since i saw mj in ro i should buy the thom browne suit to maintain my punk cred?

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                          • Aug 2007

[quote user="justine"][quote user="Fuuma"]

[/quote]

You might know that, but this is taken from O. Wilde, it's his definition of a cynic.

[/quote]

cool article and classic oscar line. i was actually kinda suprised with the music they play there....im not sure what i was expecting maybe something more like angelo badalamenti or some shit but whatever...

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="xadam"]

[quote user="bakla"][quote user="Fuuma"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

so you're saying that since i saw mj in ro i should buy the thom browne suit to maintain my punk cred?

[/quote]

no sir. avant-garde = moving forward, not backwards. justine said that right up top.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

[quote user="Faust"]

no sir. avant-garde = moving forward, not backwards. justine said that right up top.

[/quote]

forward, backward, up, down, i'm just no going to get you to give me the thumbs up on that suit, am i?

actually, i agree with you that a classic look by definition isn't avant garde, but tb's last two shows (love them or hate them), if not his collections, are.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                                • Oct 2006

[Y] buy the suit. but only if you plan on wearing it while playing in an emo band. extra high waters plz.
                                Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎