X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

Looks like someone who went from the dark depths of Portland, the ruminations of Kurt Cobain and the feeling associated with all of that to a corporate picnic outing with Beethoven and gingham tablecloths.

I realize the guy is still a master at cuts and construction and even styling for what he's doing but none of this appeals to me personally and like Jogu mentioned, it's a bit too close to something like J. Crew or Edie Bauer in terms of the fabric and palette.

I think Miyashita has always had a fascination with America and that's clearly influenced some of the older western type pieces and the grunge season feel of N(N). This is just a part of Americana that feels dead to me...like the glory of the early 80s preppie/casual campus wear and spring picnics in the Hamptons.

Of course, the cuts of these pieces are beautiful for what they are but the slung paint ala Pollock just feel like it cheapens the collection as a consistent element through the line.

It's true that these are generally colors I would never wear but the narrative created across the board with these pieces conjures up images of upper-middle class America that I don't find appealing in the least.

I just miss the good old Days of N(N) and always will...the fabrics, the details, the neutral palette, the almost blatant references to certain things about culture. I remember reading about how he was going through a very serious depression at one point and it was obvious in his work. Looks like that matter has been cleared up, maybe.

I just saw this for the first time today so maybe something will change or sink in but I doubt it only because it's the core of this line and the presentation that I just can't seem to appreciate. I did like the first season of the Soloist, for the less detailed pieces and the more subtle accessories.

To like something, I think you almost have to be able to relate to it. Maybe not to appreciate it, but to truly like it. I just can't relate at all.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎