X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Pattern Development, Materials Treatments and Construction

4 iterations of the jacket were required before the final version was constructed.

The second to last was fully lined, with zipper installed and all hardware sites marked so that the client was able to try it on (it was shipped halfway around the world for this) and request adjustments.

Before the final version could be constructed, a number of things needed fine tuning/R&D.

In keeping with my ethos, the heavy duty elastic that I chose to use was a medical/athletic grade elastic that stretched the short direction as well as the long direction (4-way stretch). Unfortunately, as with most of these types of elastic for health care use, it was white. Multiple test dye trials resulted in me using 3 different types of black dye to bring it to the rich black tone.

The other issue was how to create an effect on the leather that would make the black leather look "burned" and "destroyed". Actual burning of the leather resulted in irregular shrinkage/charring that remained black and at the same time destroyed any precise dimensions.

After testing various methods, I used a surgical scalpel (#10 blade) and painstakingly cut and shaved each of the edges that was to be "destroyed."

This was followed by hand sanding with low grit sandpaper over the same site to further wear down the leather in those areas.

Note that it is still a blue-black and not yet "burned."

After a number of tests, the best result of burning was achieved using 3 steps. The first was to use a carefully applied Dakin's Solution to lighten the edges so that recoloring with the brown/dark tones could be seen.

This was then allowed to process and lighten overnight before 2 dyes were applied one after the other. The first was an organic base light brown dye and the second was a synthetic brown that was darker to serve to transition from the black leather on to the lighter brown edge of the "damage." Each step was done by hand.

Last edited by Chinorlz; 01-28-2014, 10:41 AM.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Pattern Cutting and Jacket Construction

All pieces cut from black Horween horsehide. All zippers custom cut Super Lampo locking zippers.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Once all the pieces were cut (Horween black horsehide and organic black cotton lining), the construction began.

The dyed elastic bands were cut to length and width for installation between body and back panels.

After the panels were joined, each seam was then basted with contact cement and flattened by hand so that the seams from the outside would be flat and smooth.

Partially complete (some seams not yet flattened).

Parallel topstitch was then done on either side of each elasticated panel for a clean look and also to keep all the layers flat.

The triangular elastic shoulder inserts that spanned a darted seam (allowing for a modified raglan style sleeve but with a shoulder "break") were technically challenging.

Finishing one side's topstitch at the shoulder.

Wrist zipper installation.
        Last edited by Chinorlz; 01-28-2014, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Hardware installation and Finalization

The neck "spines" were installed and pushed carefully through pre-cut and slightly distressed slits made into the shell of the jacket. The effect is one of the spines "pushing out" through the leather. The metal was backed on the inner face with a panel of leather for wearer comfort and stitched in place following the center back seam so that it would be invisible.

The same effect was created for the silver studs. The studs were first inset into a small leather panel and affixed to it. Matched holes were punched at the collar line and distressed. The panel of leather with the studs were then brought up and affixed in place with the effect being the studs "eroding" through the leather at the collar.

The titanium elbow inserts were handled first by trimming back their light mesh enclosure. Each was pre-padded from behind. These were then fit into the fully constructed jacket shell and epoxy was used to set them in place so that they look like they had "burned" their way out of the elbows.

Care was taken to ensure that the titanium would remain firmly in place, but without damaging nearby material or applying too much/too little adhesive. This was my "take" on integration of the CCP titanium elbows into this jacket.

A similar approach was used for the knuckles. I wanted more metal to show through with the same "burned" effect around all edges. The space cut and treated for the knuckles was carefully planned to allow for maximum metal showing while still ensuring secure adhesion. Each knuckle was sewn first onto a thin vegetable tanned leather backing and then set in place. This expanded the surface area of the knuckles on the inside for firm adhesion.

Light padding was then added to the inner side for wearer comfort.

Once the lining was attached to the outer shell and everything topstitched in place, the CCP pinkie and thumb were sewn in place.

Thumb installed, pinkie still not yet done. The other 3 fingers are connected with a leather wrapped tri-ring so that they can be taken on and off as a set.

Finishing details.
          Last edited by Chinorlz; 01-28-2014, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

One of the final steps was taking a torch directly to the fully completed jacket to carefully shrink-burn parts on the glove portion of the jacket.

The result is a brutal finish.

The final step was sewing in the hand-hammered silver plate with the client's name and Collateral Concepts stamped into it.
            Last edited by Chinorlz; 01-28-2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

The 4 iterations hung in successive order.

__________________________________________________ ___

The Completed Jacket

Last edited by Chinorlz; 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Last edited by Chinorlz; 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• blowdown
                  • Feb 2011

i cant wait to see the eventual fit, i know how painstaking these process can take being a fashion student myself, i wonder if there is anyone more devoted than you who isnt doing this full time....

also, just a question, isnt the cost price for the leathers, fabrics and stuff going to be rather high considering you dont take big orders for them, and only doing in small production

Comment

• LotsaColours
                    • Jan 2014

This stuff is incredible! I highly doubt even with the red envelopes I'll collect this year, that I'll be able to afford your jackets, but it'll happen one day. Have you ever thought of making coats or other items with say, wool, or tech fabrics?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by blowdown View Post
                      i cant wait to see the eventual fit, i know how painstaking these process can take being a fashion student myself, i wonder if there is anyone more devoted than you who isnt doing this full time....

also, just a question, isnt the cost price for the leathers, fabrics and stuff going to be rather high considering you dont take big orders for them, and only doing in small production
                      Thanks for the kind words! Its a labor of love and a creative outlet for me.

In regards to your question, yes. Everything does indeed cost more to produce from a materials standpoint when you order in smaller amounts from tanneries etc, but at the same time this allows me to create works using rare or impossible-to-scale-up-production materials such as vintage boro fabrics, piano key ivory, WWII fabrics etc. I also get to talk to the tanneries and get small runs of special leather panels etc. and also work with other artisans directly.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Here are some shots of the jacket being worn by myself. It is of course not cut to my dimensions (about 1 size bigger than what I wear).

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by LotsaColours View Post
                          This stuff is incredible! I highly doubt even with the red envelopes I'll collect this year, that I'll be able to afford your jackets, but it'll happen one day. Have you ever thought of making coats or other items with say, wool, or tech fabrics?
                          Drop me a line if you're interested, we can take it from there :)

I have done outerwear in different types of materials including wools. I'm trying to stay away from tech fabrics as they typically don't have a "story" to them. I gravitate towards materials that "speak" to me as much as I can :)

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

A project to be completed around early/mid May 2014, I have been doing research and developed a knife design based on an amalgamation of scalpel styles ranging from ancient India on through more modern times.

I am collaborating with a Houston based artisanal knifemaker and together we are creating an approximately 9" knife with a limited run. Each knife will be fully handmade from beginning to end in a small workshop. Only he and I will be involved.

In continuing with my materials research and using those that have a story, the knives will be constructed out of 13C26 steel which has a fine grain structure and higher hardness so it holds and takes an edge beautifully. This is also the same type of steel used to produce operative scalpel blades.

The handles will be shaped ergonomically and will be made out of woolly mammoth ivory

The ivory is anywhere from 10,000 to 200,000+ years old. Absolutely beautiful and has a nice heft and incredible grain. Each knife will be completely unique in this way.

The blade design and style will be completely unique and combined with the shaping of the handle, can be used in a range of positions and ways.

Three french style chef's knives will also be made in the same style and with the same 13C26 steel.

...coming soon
                            Last edited by Chinorlz; 01-30-2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• kuugaia
                              • Feb 2010

^ The jacket from above looks seriously menacing, great job! Also thanks for going through all that effort to take photos of the process (+ explain it all); I do a bit of DIY myself when I can so it definitely helps.

Now you're working on knives? Hahaha...incredible. Looking forward to the results.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                                ^ The jacket from above looks seriously menacing, great job! Also thanks for going through all that effort to take photos of the process (+ explain it all); I do a bit of DIY myself when I can so it definitely helps.

Now you're working on knives? Hahaha...incredible. Looking forward to the results.

Yes, the knives will be a couple of months in the works. I'm pretty excited to see them come to fruition!

On the more medical/tech front I am reworking Google Glass wearability as well as on a wearable, micro-sized concussion monitor to be used first in the womens soccer realm. Also have two medical devices that are used in the minimally invasive setting that are getting finalized and am in the early live model testing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎