• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Re: Yohji Yamamoto ss09 Paris

Review from IHT:

"PARIS: Size was the starting point of theYohji Yamamoto menswear collection, according to the smiling designer, but he wasn't just referring to his choice in models (who came in all shapes, sizes, colors and ages) but to the clothes as well.

This was a show filled with easy, loose-fitting suits that looked as if they had been part of the models' personal collections for years - although it is hard to imagine any man wanting a cream-colored burlap suit.

It was a collection full of creativity. But what came through most strongly when watching the likes of the writer Marc Cholodenko and the artist Steve McQueen amble down the runway was Yamamoto's playful mood.

The designer transferred key features of classic menswear to unexpected locations. It was as if he had run the suits through a transporter and all of the bits hadn't returned to the right place. This meant a jacket's buttonhole cuffs were found at the bottom of a pant, sections of suit lining were sewn onto the outside of a blazer, and back pockets grew out of pant legs. There were even a few schizophrenic jacket/coats that had been spliced together, but they weren't a shock to the system in their black-on-black incarnation.

When the designer took to the runway with a band of sartorial brothers, it was clear this was a collection of easy artistry with a whimsical soul made in the image of the man himself. "

music

Comment

• Buckwheat
      • Sep 2006

highlight video of the collection....

YY was not shy after the show this time....he stayed longer than usual at the end...calling out his friends/brothers....very personal.

Comment

• matthewhk
        • Jan 2007

that point about Yohji's typical customer demographic being older is true, to the extent of my experience at least. every time i am in the aoyama flagship or isetan stall it is mostly men who appear to be in their 50's at least who are at least trying on the stuff if not buying it. i occasionally run into some younger types, but they mostly just come for a quick glance.

I see a wider age range shopping in the women's section. There was a mother daughter duo who came in to shop around, both entered decked out in Yohji and the daughter was quite attractive, her face and features were feminine but she was wearing a masculine style suit and shirt with shoes. i wish i'd see more young women wearing Yohji...and i don't mean the odd HK pop singer wearing the flowery doc martens or whatever, i mean really integrating that kinda vision into their personal style.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎