X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

It's an interesting discussion. I'm wondering if the economy has shifted somewhat the absurd SA attitude you get in some upscale stores. The internet has changed the way that people spend money and how they shop and the way I see it, if you have a good reputation of helping shoppers and of good service, you can grow your business in ways that weren't possible before.

But if you have a good selection but no help and high prices, shoppers in that town can buy something from the other side of the globe if it's more convenient and cheaper for them.

I have a skateboarding background and generally speaking, skaters encourage people to support their local shop as opposed to larger chains. And that has helped out to a small degree but there will always be those who try on a pair of shoes in a shop, then get online to order it from a chain store so they can save $12.

But we're not talking about $40 Vans here...bottom line, there is less money getting spread around and more ways to save that money online than there used to be. Shops can only drop prices so low and still stay in business so they have to offer fast shipping (if shipping is involved), helpful answers to questions about sizing and material, convenient ways to pay, etc.

I've just had a lot of shop employees stare down their noses at me in retail locations where you wonder if they see the customer as some kind of nuisance. I'm sure a lot of that still goes on but I'm guessing that those who work on commission are finding themselves being a little more friendly and a little more humble.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

^ That's exactly right. We could go into all the different customer retention methods (or service) that retailers and online stores use and weigh that up to the price of goods, but it's somewhat pointless. The bottom-line of this particular niche is the consumer's behavior.

Online shopping culture when it started out could only get consumers accustomed to purchasing things that were cheap, small, or unobtainable physically. But now everybody can see the shift of consumer buying behavior - the 'online-risk' factor is not what it used to be. I remember years back when I used to think to myself 'how the hell am I meant to buy a pants online without even trying them on, I wouldn't even do that in store!'. Now people are comfortably kopping $3000 leather condom-tight jackets online, simply hoping it would fit. But where does that leave all the retail stores, are they really redundant now due to this change of consumer behavior? It really makes you wonder if kopping wedding dresses online based on measurements will become the norm in the future.

And just like beardown said with his skater example, there's a reason why retailers should be supported in certain communities. But it simply depends on whether or not consumers will share that sentiment. Do they value the service, the emotional connection, the relationship, the community - or do they value the low-price? For my personal point of view: it's obviously a balance (but you'd think with how much we're dishing out for clothes in this niche we'd be less price-orientated; surprisingly not the case). I'd just hate to see retailers get wiped out by online stores, which has already happened in many industries dealing with low-buying-risk goods. But risk is fluid and perception based; it changes to be lower and lower each day as consumerism becomes more embedded into culture.

Hmm...I haven't really stated a point and have just been talking to myself. Support the nice retailers and fuck the rest! *raises pitchfork*

Comment

• vois
        • Nov 2007

I don't know if this was mentioned already - ssense does waive customs duty. basically, item price+$50 shipping sent as gift. Although, in my case, I personally asked them to send it that way. not sure if they will do it willingly.

Comment

• mike
          • Dec 2006

How does VAT refunds work for online shops? I was hoping the VAT would be automatically subtracted from the total after I filled in I was shipping to the US.

Comment

• beardown
            rekoner
            • Feb 2009

Pay close attention to how the price is presented. Some shops have the price listed with a VAT exclusion, some shops tell you that the VAT will be subtracted after the order. I think some shops give it to you as a refund after the sale transaction has been processed as a refund on your credit card.

Different shops/countries handle it in different ways. Send them an email to ask or check the FAQ for the shop. Sometimes it explains the process there. But there is just so much variation between countries and stores that you need to ask the shop you're ordering from. I've never had it subtracted at checkout unless it was automatically listed with the VAT amount excluded.

Comment

• mike
              • Dec 2006

"2.2. Prices
              Prices are stated in Euros inclusive of taxes, and excluding preparation and delivery charges. Value Added Tax is the tax in force on French mainland territory at the date of the order. This tax is also applicable within the EU. The prices applied are those stated on the Site at the time of the order.
              The flat-rate amount charged for preparation and delivery is communicated to the Customer on the detailed order form, prior to its validation."
              the VAT is around 600 euros so I am a bit hesitant if I am not going to get it back :S
              maybe ill just call them monday

Comment

• shdws
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mike View Post
                How does VAT refunds work for online shops? I was hoping the VAT would be automatically subtracted from the total after I filled in I was shipping to the US.
                Hey Mike!

Take note also, I have shopped from multiple shops and have missed out on VAT refund on many items . Some sites actually don't list the VAT as either applied to the total price or deducted (generally VAT is applied), a good example is Oki-ni and from a while back Ln-CC as well.

You MUST email them in regards to said tax on purchase for process of refund. The only way you can also actually get the refund is when your transaction has gone through and you have received the goods. Just make sure to email them before purchasing to iron out any queries .

Also take note, VAT refund is supposed to be at 20% of purchase price, but it rarely ever happens (I am not sure why, I would like to find out why actually, just too lazy), I've had VAT refunds from 10% to 15% only.
                Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

Comment

• cmitso412
                  • Feb 2010

While shopping in person I was told that you never get the full amount of vat tax back. The lady at the shop showed me a chart that had increments showing that the more you spend the higher the percentage you get back. The guy at the airport issuing the refund confirmed that it works like this.

Comment

• mike
                    • Dec 2006

thanks for all the info!

Comment

• jskidder1
                      • Jan 2011

Anyone have experience receiving items in the USA shipper from the UK via DPD? I got an invoice for duties from them before the item even left the UK and they are asking that I pay online now before releasing the package for final delivery. It seems odd to be assessed customs fees before the item even gets to the US. I am a bit worried that I will be charged again by the US carrier after clearing customs here. Anyone else experience this?

Also, who does DPD hand off to for final delivery in the states?

Comment

• beardown
                        rekoner
                        • Feb 2009

I can't speak specifically for DPD but some delivery outfits work with brokers who manage all of the customs forms, duties, etc. In those cases, I believe they are automatically cleared for U.S. customs. It's in the case of EMS where they want to cut down the delivery/hold time.

Basically it would be an international outfit that can certify that the goods are exactly what they're stated as being so there is no threat of rogue materials, etc. involved. When it arrives to the states, it is marked in some way to indicate that all duties, taxes, etc. have been paid (via the broker/shipper) and it doesn't have to be inspected.

I've had to pay the broker fee before in the U.S. *after* delivery but brokerage outfits are international and thus can prepare and expedite the customs process...whether it's paid prior to delivery or you're billed afterward, it all goes to the same place.

Here is a quote from their website:

"Terms of delivery – GeoPost UK only accept consignments which are prepaid and the duty/tax is payable by
                        the consignee. This is represented by the universal Incoterm “DAP” - Delivered at Place."

Prepaid customs fees allows them to delivery EMS packages without customs delays..the downside is that I imagine the broker fee is fairly heavy and they will disclose 100% what it is as opposed to some shops who might lower the value, etc.

I can't speak as to ensuring you won't get a bill from whatever carrier fulfills the final delivery but you would have paperwork to prove that you already took care of the fees/taxes/duties through a broker working with DPD.

You may want to call them and confirm that you won't be charged additional fees from U.S. customs but I don't believe you would.

Comment

• jskidder1
                          • Jan 2011

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. This all makes sense, but the current tracking info indicates that the package is currently in the USA and "The parcel is undergoing customs clearance." It seems that if this has already been done prior to importing it would not need to be cleared again upon arrival. I may need to look into this tomorrow morning.

Also, the fees are about 20% of the cost so it seems I was definitely hit at full value.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by shdws View Post
                            Also take note, VAT refund is supposed to be at 20% of purchase price, but it rarely ever happens (I am not sure why, I would like to find out why actually, just too lazy), I've had VAT refunds from 10% to 15% only.
                            Are you taking into account that VAT varies by country.

Also, its up to the stores if they even do the refund, its not compulsory or anything like that.
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• michael_kard
                              • Oct 2010

All EU countries have the same VAT. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_VAT_area
                              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                                • Oct 2011

That's entirely untrue. Denmark is 25% while the UK is 20% - each country has VAT, but the percent may and does vary within the EU

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎