Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • messenoire
    • Nov 2009

who else uses the same leather that julius uses for their cow skin boots?

Comment

• ErnstLudwig
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
      to answer the question above Edward Green makes 3-4 pair/skin.
      source?

Nevertheless I would always prefer EG > Lobb RTW because of Lobb’s shitty stand/heel construction, it’s Crockett and Jones main line all over the place for a ridiculous retail price. Overall Lobb RTW reaches a price tag where bespoke is not so far away and perfect fit is way more important for the durability then minor quality differences of the upper leather.

Overall big fashion companies suck quality wise (Gucci, LV[bespoke services excluded]…) no wonder if you spend 20% of your budget on ads in vogue (and therefore overcharge the customer and save at the product quality).

Hermes and Valextra are great, but horribly overpriced. You can find smaller companies which come close or even surpass their quality without spending that much. Leather goods: Swaine Adeney Brigg, Launer, Ettinger; belts: Kreis.

Comment

• Umami
        • Sep 2010

who is the best designer in the world.

Comment

• Uncontrol
          • Feb 2008

kanye west

Comment

• Raw
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
            Random question - that hard, pebbly leather that companies like LV and Goyard use...what is that?
            If you're talking about the wallets like Monogram or Damier, it's actually not leather, it's canvas.

Comment

• eleven crows
              • Mar 2011

it's me, i'm the best.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Raw View Post
                If you're talking about the wallets like Monogram or Damier, it's actually not leather, it's canvas.
                They call it canvas, but it's actually leather. I was given a set of accessories as a gift once...all say 100% leather.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• uL7iMa
                  • Oct 2010

Wow, so much drama, I think anything that has "best" in it's title always attracts this sort of things..

Anyhow, I'm quite interested in this topic, and hope that we can continue the discussion on leather quality.

What sort of qualities goes into a good leather? What becomes a top pick for companies such as Hermes and Valextra?

Comment

• ErnstLudwig
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by uL7iMa View Post
                    What sort of qualities goes into a good leather? What becomes a top pick for companies such as Hermes and Valextra?
                    Well depends it depends on the usage, but when it comes to shoes and luggage I say full grain products (epidermis intact) are the best, because of better durability and water resistance.

What to do you do? Simply pick perfectly looking hides!
                    Leather is a natural product and it can have different width, cows can have scars… as well as errors/irregularities can occur during the tanning process.

"Cheap" option: use split leather (get rid of scars and make the leather look nicely even), roll it and put a layer of covering plastic on it to give it a nice shine. So generally speaking if you see the grains = good (but it’s also possible to do some kind of fake embossment).

Comment

• Castor
                      • Nov 2009

They call it canvas, but it's actually leather. I was given a set of accessories as a gift once...all say 100% leather.
                      It is most definitely NOT leather. It is coated canvas. These products are often trimmed and lined with leather.
                      Originally posted by DRRRK
                      The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ErnstLudwig View Post
                        What to do you do? Simply pick perfectly looking hides!
                        Leather is a natural product and it can have different width, cows can have scars… as well as errors/irregularities can occur during the tanning process.
                        And for one immaculate skin you have lots of more or less flawed ones. I was wondering what would happen if some tanners/designers had this strange idea of achieving some sort of decaying/raw/turn of the XXth century proletarian aesthetics out of those imperfect, and thus much cheaper, leftovers and rejects.
                        Or what if they used the skins of abattoir beasts which are generally disregarded by most of the leather professionals - I mean horse, pig, cow ?

Now wait.
                        Last edited by Mail-Moth; 01-14-2012, 05:03 AM.
                        I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                        I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• ErnstLudwig
                          • Oct 2011

well you mentioned the point "slaughterer", the normal hides are by-product (waste) of the food industry. So I would guess they simply pay a fixed price per picked hide. But I like the idea of using imperfect hides even pre-tanning (no more need for fake vintageing afterwards).

But the designer/company would have to find a small tannery that actually converts them. With big I think the prob is they only care about their main customer that ensures business survival (see Hermes, or Horween: Alden, Allen Edmonds).

But hey a lot of other leather exists out there (partly even not food derived) bull, alligator, snake, ostrich, elk (very nice jackets), stingray, shark. And from time to time if the right zoo animal dies of old age you can even make elephant shoes.

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                            It is most definitely NOT leather. It is coated canvas. These products are often trimmed and lined with leather.
                            Interesting...I had no idea.
                            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• franz
                              • Mar 2011

Interesting...I had no idea.
                              Be reassured, most people do not know even people I know/meet who long for working in the "luxury" sector; that's how LV keeps selling its signature logo canvas at those prohibitive prices.
                              Originally posted by Faust
                              True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by franz View Post
                                Be reassured, most people do not know even people I know/meet who long for working in the "luxury" sector; that's how LV keeps selling its signature logo canvas at those prohibitive prices.
                                Pretty sure the sales associates tell you it's leather too.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎